Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods LOOKING FOR INFO ON AUTO HIDDEN ANTENNAS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALLSTEEL30FORD, May 20, 2014.

1. Looking for info. on installing a hidden antenna in a street rod.
    What type did you use?
    where did you install it?
    How well did it work?
    Thanks you.

2. I only have a radio in one of our hot rods,,the '54 "Ranch Wagon" and I didn't want to use the original fender mount antenna so I opted to mount a regular extension antenna along the inside frame rail on the passenger side underneath the car. HRP

3. olds vroom

olds vroom

I put a shorty rubber antenna under the dash and it worked just fine

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Put a standard extension antenna crossways in the trunk, under the package shelf. Tied it up with plastic wire ties, and it works great! Since my car is pretty small, (my '46 Austin) I mounted my stereo under the driver's seat, and ran the cable under the car to the stereo. It has remote control from a fob, so I can control it with the radio out of sight.
    Haven't put a radio in my Falcon, and may never do so.

5. Nether one of my Deuces have a radio,and like you they probably never will. HRP

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Running a Harley Davidson branded hidden antenna up high on my windshield of my truck. Get great recpetion about anywhere with it. The latest H-D one was selling fo less than the Dakota Digital last I knew, and its more or less the same thing. I had employee price, but I think retail is 50ish.

7. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

I have 3 cars with hidden antennas. They are standard cowl mount antennas, attached to the outside of the frame rail, using fabricated brackets with rubber grommets to insulate the antenna. They all work fine.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I use a standard telescopic antenna mounted sideways up under dash in my 35, works OK.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I bought a hidden antenae from radio shack. It sux but I'm 40-50 miles from the FM stations I like. I installed sat radio docks in my vehicles and also have a sat radio boombox in my shop that I can mount my receiver on. One subsc and I can use it anywhere.

10. Mine is in the overhead compartment behind the radio its a regular antenna , but I can only hear the radio when I am parked anyway. Carlg

11. roundvalley

roundvalley

I did three '32 Fords that were soft top. Used the chicken wire in the top as antenna and it worked very well.

12. In the way back days, my Dad's '37 Ford coupe had the antenna under the DS running board.
    It looked like 2 metal rods on brackets I think, I was 5 then,,,

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

We did this method on my dad's model A sedan.... One day driving through nowhere Colorado we were picking up traffic reports on the radio and thinking we must be close to Pueblo, where we were headed. Then the announcer said something about L.A. Turns out it was a L.A. station. We get a little too much reception with all that surface area.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had a 38 Chrysler Royal coupe that was set up that way. The actual antenna looked a lot like a old rooftop TV antenna, with two endless loops and was made of zinc covered steel.

My Zephyr came with a vacuum operated power antenna in the drivers front fender. It was no good, rusted away. I plan on putting an electric one in it's place if I ever put a radio in it. I seldom listen to a radio anyway, so I might never put one in.

15. This is just about 10 metres of insulated wire, soldered to the centre of a length of co-axial cable. The outer shield is connected to ground. It is strung between my front bumper brackets. It's cheap (like me), and works well.

Attached Files:

16. mustangsix

mustangsix

The last three cars I've put together have had no radio, hence no antenna. Frankly, with corporate radio conglomerates taking over it seems like every station has the same 100 song "McRadio" playlist. There simply isn't anything worth listening to anymore on over-the-air radio. :(

My non-trad solution for sound lately has been my smartphone and wireless bluetooth speakers. I carry my own tunes and play them back that way. The speakers are small enough to stow away and I can carry them with me if I want music elsewhere.

If ever I decide I do want radio, there's an app for that and the Moto G phone actually has an AM/FM receiver.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014