Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for info, listings, stats on old dirt & board tracks in PA in the 1920s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoalTownKid, Oct 14, 2008.

1. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Looking for info, listings, stats of racers who competed at said tracks, pictures, location of both old dirt tracks and board tracks that were alive and well in the 1920s.

OR,...

Racers who competed at Pennsylvania tracks. Photos, hometowns, cars, etc. etc. etc.....

trying to put together some history here,...and there's some gaps. I know a little about the Altoona and Uniontown Board Tracks, but nothing much else,...not interested in anythingbeyond 1933-35 at the lastest, aiming for the 20s soleley.

Thanks a million in advance guys! ;)

2. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

Not PA but a cool pic. I think its in WI[​IMG]

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

4. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Yeah i tooled around on that site and on the webring there,...doesnt seem to be much there pertaining to PA.
    Cool though...

5. LowFat48

LowFat48

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

You'll have to include Atlantic City Motor Speedway in New Jersey it was built with Philadelphia money. Planed to be the only Board Track within 250 miles of Atlantic City, 1 1/2 mile track no less than 50 feet wide and took 4,500,00 feet of lumber to build, had its own railroad depot.

7. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Wow! That was one heck of a track then??!! Wild!

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

There is a great hardback book by the name of The History of America's Speedways. It was written by Allan E. Brown and covers pretty much every track and every kind of track in the United States. Just looking at the section for PA, there are fifty tracks just in the A and B listings and it goes on for several pages. There are some excellent period photos also. If you can't find it somewhere, I'll sell you mine...for a good price (good for ME).

"....fenders was flappin the guardrail posts, the guys beside me wuz white as ghosts...

dj

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, and they went out and imported two Bugatti Type 35 GP cars to race there. After one lost a motor a DO Fronty-Ford equiped Model T replaced it. Ther raced fenderless Stock cars there Studebakers were the hot setup in the day.

10. Racer12

Racer12

I would post this request for info on the current Sprint Car thread on this site. There are some pretty smart guys who follow that thread that could help you out.

Bob Shutt

11. racer67x

racer67x

there was a board track in Bridgeville,Pa,location was where rt.50 crosses under I79..site of the current Burgunder Dodge.
    not sure what years it ran but it was big and I have seen pictures.

(edit) posted this then clicked the link above,guess you know of this track...lol