Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for ideas on how to attach my license plates.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Karl Schofield, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Here in Japan we are required to run both plates. I need to redo both front and back (Japanese plates are a odd size) on my '51 fleetline. Let's see what you got.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Buy two of these and cut and weld them to fit the Japanese plate.
    They are clean and simple and look great.
    of course, if you can fine two old originals it would be great.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Two of what?

4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Don't they have zip ties in Japan?

Truck64, LOU WELLS and Karl Schofield like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do your bumpers have holes for mounting brackets to mount plates? post pics

Karl Schofield likes this.
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

7. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

They do but that another problem the LAN office (DMV) seals your rear plate on. Special aluminum seal.

8. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

No mounting holes, I'll get some pics soon. Rear plate is mount between splash shield and trunk lid now. But the Japanese plate is too big to mount flat. I have one of the afore mentioned front plate mounts for the rear. The front plate mount is my main problem. I want something that will just mount the plate and not add to the front bumper.

Lowdownfab likes this.
  9. REALY? ?? Not cool.

upspirate likes this.
  10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like 19fordy's idea. You might need to extend it to fit the Japan tag. A plan B would be using Kaiser bumper guards. They are good size and would need cut down to fit your plate. It would be easier to cut one down than to add too... Keep the faith brother you will come up with a kool idea....

20914366_10214686417692940_698158649419771033_n.jpg 20882367_10214686414812868_4652858681279120874_n.jpg

11. Don't hack anything on the '51. Get a Japanese chrome or cast frame right there locally, fabricate a sturdy backer board out of 1/8"/3mm aluminum or plastic sheet, make spacer posts of thick wall, aluminum tubing with bolts to hang the frame out far enough to clear any protrusions, use rubber washers if needed. This could look weird on a late model car but on a '51 it would most likely look right at home. When you can't get something to blend in seamlessly, display it prominently. Works every time. (Think continental kit but for license plate.) A mini bumper guard, as suggested, that partly wraps the plate frame might be the cherry on the cupcake.

This is just off the top of my mind. You're kind of stingy with the details and pix so I have to just imagine what other issues have to be overcome.

12. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

[​IMG]

The plate was attached with zip ties here. I'd like to keep the front something like this.

13. Why not just drill a couple of holes and mount the tag with a screw & nut,it's not like your going to harm the chrome.

How is the front tag mounted on the car beside yours? HRP

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I thought at first that the bumper and tag were of some odd size. That looks like a little common thought would yield an easy solution.

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would look for a license plate bracket from a Japanese brand of auto to mount on your 51.

tfeverfred likes this.
  16. Bend plate to bumper contour-attach with 3M double sided molding tape...;)

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My front plate on my 48 pickup is mounted with a bracket that is held on by the nut for the middle bolt in the bumper an bends over (or under I'm not sure at the moment) the bumper and the tag mounts to it the normal way. I think it was a standard rear tag bracket for a 70 something Chevy truck but I'd bet that there are brackets for Japanese truck plates that are quite similar that with a mod or two would work just fine. You should be able to fab one pretty easily that doesn't show at all unless you stand right over the bumper and look down at the plate.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  18. japchris

japchris
    from England

If you don't want to drill the front bumper, could you run a steel bar that curves behind the bumper and that fixes to the bumper iron bolts at either end. Then weld a bracket to the middle of that bar that curves round under and up in front of the bumper to fix the plate to?

Karl Schofield and Cosmo49 like this.
  19. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

20. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

21. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

Thanks for all the suggestions, once I complete it I will post pics.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Run straps top to bottom on the back side of the bumper with holes that match the License plate, bolt it all together and the license will be where you want it.