Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for history on this car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnk320, Sep 1, 2012.

1. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Similar post is in History of Drag Cars in Motion...

I'm trying to help a friend find information on a car he purchased about five years ago.

He bought a 1940 Chevy that was campaigned as a gasser in the Austin, TX area. It supposedly went by the name of Mighty Mouse. When he bought it (around 2007), it was located in the Houston, TX area.

That's all the information we have. We are looking for pics of it in action as well as ANY historical information we can gather.

He is rebuilding it as a gasser and would very much like as much background information as he can get.

Thanks for all help in advance...

2. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Trying to keep this thread alive! Are there any Drag racing historians (especially in the Texas area) who might be able to shed some light on this car's history?

My buddy almost is done with the paint and would REALLY like this ol' gasser's history.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, HAMBers! ANY help is appreciated!!!!!

3. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

btt

Looking for history, pictures, etc. Might not have been called mighty mouse.

1940 Chevy coupe purchased from Houston, TX area 5 ot 6 years ago. The car spent a good part of its life in the Austin, TX area as a gasser.

Wish I had more to go on. Any help is appreciated... Thx....

4. Well I cannot give you any history on the car but I can deduce by the name that it was probably running a small block chebby. ;)

There that'll help you keep it on top for a bit.

5. 52ragtop

52ragtop
    from Nebraska

Do a Google search for "Mighty mouse gasser"
    Looks like it was a pretty common name but you might find your car there.

6. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Thanks, 'beaner! any help....

7. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

thanks, ragtop. did that a while back and went through several pages of results. I'll try again though... I was hoping someone here might recognize locations, etc. and chime in.

8. Well there are a lot of Texas HAMBers and a lot of them raced. When do you think it was run?

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I might have a pic or two on my laptop, it sounds familiar. Ill dig through my collection after I get off my ass and buy a new power cord for the computer...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. Hard to think our brothers in the great state of Tex are missing this one. there as a rule on top of the stuff. the weekend coming it will pick up.

11. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

really appreciat the replies, guys! I'll keep my fingers crossed on more action...

12. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

I checked with my buddy and he said there were things that lead him to believe it was originally built as a gasser in the late '50s or early '60s. For instance, he said the tranny was set up as a standard floor shift and there was no tranny cross member - it was suspended! Also, the engine was set up for a small block but it had the early style motor mounts. He also said, on the right rear qtr panel was a very faded, somewhat patina'd image of what looked like Mighty Mouse. The body is all steel and stock. It was bought through a broker in Houston but came out of the Austin area.

He (the owner) is having trouble getting on his HAMB account so as I get more info from him, I'll post it.

C'mon you TX HAMBers, little help!

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Any pics of it?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think there was a car by that name that ran at Little River in 69 when I raced there during the early 70's when I went down to watch once in a while. As was mentioned before there was a pot load of cars called Mighty Mouse racing around the country in the late 60's early 70's.

15. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Only in it's present-day form. That's why we're trying to track down history of it: to get stories and pics.

Will take some pics to post next time I'm over there....

16. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Yeah... That's what makes a google search difficult! We'll take anything at this point! As info comes in, we'll try to track it down to verify, It's just getting off the ground that's proving tough!

17. CGkidd

CGkidd

Even in current there might be clues to someone.