Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Looking for help on 1960 Lincoln Power steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TooManyFords, Sep 23, 2014.

1. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Got a 1960 Mark V with a 430. Took the power steering pump off to replace the seal between the pump and timing cover. ( cranks driven roller pump) and the return hose disintegrated and some of it and ended up in the pump I guess. After start up it blew the seal out of rear of pump. and dumped the fluid into the crank case. Six seals later and a new pressure relief valve it is still blowing the seal out.
    I am wanting to replace this set up with a belt driven pump off an Edsel. I would guess I would need the pump and brackets along with the crank pulley and timing cover. Has anyone else done this? Looking for these parts also. Thanks for any help you can give me specific to this set up.

2. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

It is a straight forward swap.once you have the pieces. You can find the belt driven pumps on 58-60 Mercurys as well. You might just consider replacing the crank driven pump with another one . I have had them apart nothing very complicated about them. Once you cleaned out the hose fragments it should be good. Are you sure the seal is installed correctly. You may find that a belt driven pump will not put out enough volume. IIRC the wipers are hydraulic?