Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects looking for frame options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dmoney79, Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dmoney79

Dmoney79

ok, looking for options...not worried about traditional, more so functional.
    i have a 53 ford customline, and a 52 f1 projects currently, and i will not be using either frame for their respective builds. im also looking for a 30's(ish) sedan body and would like to either build my own frame, or use something i already have... although, a mid 30s frame with front suspension just popped up on marketplace for $100... although, im running out of room in my driveway/garage...

my plan is to use a 305 sbc with a turbo 350 for drivetrain, use the f1 front axle (can't use the rear without COMPLETE rebuild due to the previous owner found the truck buried past the hub) but was thinking i could use the customline parts for suspension maybe rear axle?

just looking for advice as im a fabricator, more so than a mechanic, and this is a extreme budget build...i think the most expensive part for this project will be the body... can't find anything "decent" for less than $2000...AND i like knowing that i built my projects...for my dream, not traditional or someone else's idea that I stole...

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You said not looking for traditional twice. That`s what this site is about.

flatford39 and flatheadpete like this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Wow. Won't get much help here. This is a traditional site and frame swaps don't go well here.

4. 66gmc

66gmc

Why not use the original frames? Thats traditional and functional. Saves you time, money and unnecessary headaches. Increases the resale value too if and when you decide to sell.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

You sound young and lack knowledge. We will help you but forget the tv hot rod builds.

6. Bandit Billy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Says he's 41.

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

This is going well....lol!

VANDENPLAS and Texas Webb like this.
  9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Yes ,that's young for some people. Age is not always measured in years.

Texas Webb likes this.
  10. Dmoney79

Dmoney79

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Frame swaps while well intentioned, are often what kills a car project. Way more work than using what came with the car and fits the car. Been there, with a pile of scrap to show for it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

66gmc, flatheadpete and VANDENPLAS like this.

12. I have seen more cars left as cast off projects due to frame swaps then anything else.

Best to use your existing frame and upgrade what you want clips front and rear are easily done and retain the correct geometry for the car.

most times with a frame swap you end up with an ill fitting body and tire placement that’s all off

66gmc likes this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Swapping the frame doesnt make much sense. Youll never find a frame that fits better than what was made for it. Swapping out motor mounts and rear ends is cake compaired to building a frame. And should you desire, changing front suspension/clips isnt too bad.

I've built more vehicles than most people my age, and never once swapped frames from other years or models..

UNLESS its something like a Model A, and in that case a tube frame is pretty straightforward.

mad mikey and 66gmc like this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The best frame to use is the one that came with the vehicle. It fits, it matches the body perfectly, you already have it and it's free.
    The 53 Ford already has a good IFS and if I recall right, was one of the first with ball joints. This was state of the art for the times, and similar suspensions are still being made. It should be fine if you replace any worn parts and get an alignment, there is probably a disc brake conversion available if you want one.
    You say you want to keep the beam axle on the F1. It too can be rebuilt with new king pins and bushings if necessary, the springs cleaned and new sliders fitted, you could leave out a few spring leaves for a softer ride if you are not going to carry heavy loads. A good set of shock absorbers and a front end alignment and you may be surprised how nice it rides and drives, at least on good roads.
    Since both have open drive lines and conventional leaf springs at the rear, there is a wide variety of rear axles that can easily be adapted, possibly needing to relocate the spring mounts.

Rereading your post, you seem to be planning on rebuilding the F1 using Chev engine and trans and the 53 rear axle? Don't bother, just rebuild the front suspension as necessary and buy a late model rear axle out of a pickup truck or SUV. There are plenty in junk yards, try to get one the right width with the same Ford wheel bolt pattern, the spring mounts can be changed. I think you can buy new spring mounts from Summit or other parts stores, they are not expensive, you cut off the old ones and weld the new ones on the same distance apart as on your old rear axle.

66gmc likes this.
  15. The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That's right; TRADITIONAL. If you've come here to discuss anything other than Hot Rods or Customs built in a style representative of 1965 or before, you've come to the wrong forum.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Just so you guys understand my post better, the OP listed things he wanted to use which included a Lexus frame swap (?) EFI, LS engines, an S10 frame swap and so on. That's what I meant by all the bells. The OP's post listing it all was deleted.

66gmc likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

What are you guys all worried about? An S-10 frame fits just about everything. Easy-peasy.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. 66gmc

66gmc

Excellent advice, hopefully the op reads this and sticks around to ask more questions before breaking out the zip wheel and sawzall. This forum is a wealth of information that you won't find on facebook or reality tv shows.

20. :rolleyes::D

Speaking from experience.

I bought at a farm auction years ago a bodged ford F1 original cab and doors all metal work done, new steel box with wood kit, fibre glass fenders and running boards with a fibreglass one piece flip front end sitting on a really f’ed up s10 frame.
    I bought it for under $100 bucks as no one bid on it, came with a brand new wood kit, all glass and most of the chrome etc.

well the frame was bodged had coil springs in the rear kinda boxed but not really and threaded rod in place of shocks with some strange mounts.think he was attempting air or hydraulic suspension and failed.

Anyways I bought another S10 that already had a sbc with a th340 lowered etc.
    Mounted everything and it looked ..... ok
    Had to mount some very wide center lines on the front and rear so it gave it a street rod looko_O
    It drove ok
    Looked stupid
    And I sold it right away to a guy in town with a shop that wanted an interesting shop truck beater.
    I made money but sold it cheap, it was registered as an s10

point is a frame swap most times almost all the time is a waste and devalues the car.

21. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The ONLY frame swap that increases a cars value is putting a Model A or Model T on a 32 Ford frame. All other swaps make a car worse.
    Build the F1 first so you get some mechanical experiance on a simple vehicle. Then do the '52. If after those are done you still like building cars, you can probably handle a full on custom build like a 30's sedan.
    And unless you have deep pockets, I would not buy up other projects because having all your money tied up makes building what you have not as much fun because you will undoubtedly start settling for less than what you really want.

ronzmtrwrx and Moriarity like this.