Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for feedback/suggestions re: these valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidvillajr, Apr 7, 2021.

1. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

As the title states, looking for some thoughts.

Quite a while ago, I bought these nice finned valve covers from right here in the H.A.M.B.

IMG_5248.JPG

I’m FINALLY thinking about installing them on the engine.

I will need a filler cap and PCV - that’s where I’d like some ideas from you guys.

They are set up for push-in style rather than twist-off.

I’d like some caps that aren’t super streetrod BUT that don’t look like ass when I open the hood. Right now I’ve got some SUPER dated looking M/T covers with Offenhauser breathers (they match well with the off-pink plug wires - my next fix) and an open element air filter (probably going with a Caddy-style air cleaner). My whole underhood is a mishmash of 90’s awfulness.

IMG_5666.JPG

I know there’s plain stamped chrome and the cast finned style, maybe some others that escape my brain, what’s your poison?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Here’s mine. B4A81571-220C-4577-A894-77F50A046F12.jpeg 2C18DD29-0DED-4179-84D8-08D4DE0DDA72.jpeg

Deuces, AVater and Chicster like this.
  3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Pretty simple and straightforward on those.

I see them on Amazon and other places, they look pretty good, man.

I might be overthinking it, what with my weird collection of grandpa's "hey I've got this laying around" style of build. Nothing like a "performance" open element air filter, on a Quadrajet, on a Holley manifold, with M/T valve covers that use the tall "T" bolts mixed with the tall "wing nut" style bolts.

Since the car's not a hot rod, I don't really have to open the hood ever, but when I do, I'd like to enjoy what I'm looking at.

I suppose any change is a step forward. But if anybody else has suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em.

Deuces likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Actually, M/T valve covers with the tall T bolts are the next returning fad. Sounds like you are already ahead of the game. Just lose the pink wires.

Just Gary likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple might be better with the mix and match pieces.
    I've got finned aluminum everything for my 292 six in my 48. More money in finned aluminum on that engine than I want to think about. I picked up a finned aluminum breather for it but then anything else would be out of place.

All I can say is that is one fine looking pair of valve covers.

6. Maybe it's the camera angle but I like the look in your photo. They appear a little trimmer than your average cast valve cover. The mix of polished and unpolished is another thing I like.

Just Gary and Deuces like this.
  7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

To be honest when I see those newer finned valve covers, it screams China to me. Id much rather run the M/T valve covers with breathers.

kidcampbell71 and bowie like this.
  8. I'd pick a theme and stick with it throughout the car.
    Hot rod, custom or race car? What era; 'early '50's, late '50's, '60's?

- M/T valve covers were popular on hot rods & race cars beginning in the mid-'60's.
    - The no-name finned valve covers have been popular on everything since the '50's.
    - Painted stock stamped steel valve covers would've been used on a '50's custom or low-buck hot rod.
    - The Caddy air cleaner screams 1990's aftermarket. If your car is a custom, then maybe that's OK, but another solution would be a used stock air cleaner from a real '50's-'60's car, from Ebay.

Hope this helps.:)

Joe Blow and X38 like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

There are many finned valve covers on the different motors, yours would probably need a finned oil inlet or breather cap that would fit your application. It is not “street rod” look, but smooth clean lines on your finned covers. Besides, what ever the motor will be powering, it is your choice. Nice Moon Equipment breathers were the top efficient look back in the early street and drag strip days in So Cal.
    upload_2021-4-12_4-38-5.png
    Our 1960 671 SBC build in our 1940 Willys Coupe looked almost like this one (different linkages and gas lines) It had finned valve covers with no name and a simple Moon Equipment Breather. Simple, cool looking and no advertisement for a brand. But, everyone knew it was a Moon Aluminum Breather on top.

Jnaki

When I was now the owner of the 1958 Chevy Impala with a 348 motor, I had the stock orange valve covers chromed and added another set of Moon Equipment Breathers on top. No one made finned covers for the 348 motor back then.
    upload_2021-4-12_4-39-2.png
    The big black, stock air cleaner on the Impala was covering 3 carburetors and the top lid was chromed for some contrast. So, with an all black car, orange motor color and chrome accessories, it was a nice mild custom approach to a daily driver and weekend racer. At the time, we all liked the no name brands and on our 292 ci SBC 671 build, we chose a no name finned cover with a simple Moon Breather.

The Impala was during 1960-64 and the Willys Coupe 671 SBC motor was in the 1959-1960 seasons.

catdad49 likes this.