Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for fabricator job in cen-cal coast!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheif, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Hi, looking for a fabricator/t.i.g welder job at a hotrod shop or general fabrication shop in the central california coast. I am a wyotech grad in collision/ref and sheet metal fabrication. i worked for jerry sezar for 2 years in the bay area and learned a whole lot about frames and structural fabrication and t.i.g welding/ just flat out hotrods in general. I then worked for jason at bear metal in morro bay for a little over a year and a half. I have built many cars for myself and for customers during those periods some have had magazine coverage. i am some what of a perfectionist, and i am well rounded, jason would some times refer to me as his "utility knife" at times. If it weren't for this economy i would still be working they're. I have been unempolyed for over 6 months and cant find a welder/fabricator job and i am starting to fell bad about jason having to keep paying for my unemployment. Any help i greatly appreciated thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. nutajunka

nutajunka

Do some local advertising and find a place to work out of. This could be the time to strike out on your own. Good luck.

3. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

Hi,

Hang in there buddy..........the economy has been tough on business up here too. Even the guy's who work for cheap up here in their garages and don't report income have been slow. Been working on the '56 Ford and one of Frank DeRosa Sr's last chops. Give it some time and "NEVER GIVE UP"

Jerry

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Sorry I don't have a great answer/job lead for you. I do extend my best wishes for you to land somewhere soon.

The main reason I posted, is, I don't think you should feel bad about Jason "paying" your unemployment. Typically, Unemployment Insurance is paid on a monthly basis by your employer. When/if your position is terminated, you "file" for benefits with the state department of unemployment. Jason's future rates may increase due to claim activity, but that's done. If you found a job today and opted out of unemployment, his rates are what they are.

There are a lot of folks in your situation. If I was your age and had your experience/training, I might be trying to get some "side gigs" helping out others with their projects. Good luck, and hang in there. Stu

5. inkmunky

inkmunky

I'm with Stu D Baker, advertise here, post up your work see if you can land some side gigs, shaving, peaking, chops, whatever people can afford that can't or don't want to attempt themselves. side note if you like your old boss that much maybe ask for his blessing to do it, i don't know how it is for fabrication shops but i know in my world (tattooing) you walk a thin line doing that on the side even unemployed.

Don't feel bad about your unemployment though at least you get it and it can help keep you afloat, i work on commission only and if i lose my job no unemployment whatsoever.

6. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Ok guys, I paid my guys well without ever missing a payday even if it meant me not getting paid and I continue unemployment benefits etc. on my current employees. They had full run of shop with keys. Josh was a casualty of the economy. Last one in... first to go.. At this point he is unemployed. At the point he starts advertising and working on peoples cars he is no longer unemployed but he is considered self-employed...ie competition. If he wishes to compete in the market that is fine by me.. He can take on the same overhead etc.. liability insurance, product liability insurance, workmans comp, un-employment insurance, BAR license fees, business license fees, etc.... his post is merely looking for work, not a debate about benefits.. Yes, laying off two guys will cause an increase in my rates when I renew or re-hire more help. Show me a custom shop that pays guys hourly, has workmans comp, insurance etc.... most I know of make their guys "contractors" to avoid all the insurance, workmans comp, un-employment insurance, etc.... I have told several people that have small jobs etc.. to give him a call...
    Josh don't feel bad. When I was let go after relocation of the company I worked for 15 years I was on unemployment for a year while I was going to school.. You earned those benefits.. At least you are trying to find something.. some people are content to just collect unemployment and play video games all day...Jason.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. inkmunky

inkmunky

Jason i wasn't trying to debate about his benefits, you sound like a badass boss i can see why josh has the respect he does for you, like you said most business owners especially nowadays don't go that far for their employees. I was just trying to offer up a suggestion to josh that if he still wants to do this and can't find a job to give it a go for himself, but that's up to him.

8. Josh ,it doesn't matter which side of the border we are from the economy is not good right now, don't give up keep on hunting the work will find you.
    Jason, nice to see your good words of support ,as an employer you sound like a class act. Rob

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I only responded because he "felt bad" about Jason "paying" for his unemployment. Surely not a debate over benefits, but he should not feel guilty collecting unemployment.

Jason, you're a stand up guy to respond so professionally. I hope business picks up soon for all of us. Stu