Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for earlier pictures of this 1932 5 window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by casper, Nov 26, 2011.

1. casper

casper

I have been wanting to start this post for a long time , but something happened just recently that inspired me to ask if anyone has any knowledge or pictures of my coupe in it's earlier build state (1950's to 1982).
    I purchased the car the day after I saw it for sale at the Pomona swap meet in 1985 or 86 off a guy named Laddie Shaw from Idaho. Fast forward 25 years to just about a month ago when I was talking on the phone to a gentleman in Idaho about a vintage quarter midget he had for sale, a deal was made and the subject came up about 32 Fords. He was telling me about his collection of deuce hot rods and he asked me about my coupe. I started describing the car and when I told him that the dash was copper plated, he said stop right there, I know the history on your car !!
    He began to give me a timeline to chase.
    He said it was originally built by a guy named Bud Ballard in Butte, Montana in the 1950's. It had a Studebaker V-8 with an adapter for the 39 Ford trans. The entire front end, transmission, rear end and everything that would un-bolt was chrome plated. The frame was painted white and the car was purple (I heard hondures maroon). He told me that Bud Ballard had shown the car quite a bit in the Idaho area from the early 60's until he sold it to a guy named Gene Morgan in the late 70's/ early 80's. Gene up-dated the car to a 1957 283 Chevy and a 350 automatic, 9 inch Ford rearend, burnt red paint job and slot mags ( 15x10 rears hanging out!).
    Here are the pictures he sent me when Gene owned it in 1982 (Gene sitting in it). It was really cool to see the old pics of her. I know that Laddie Shaw painted the car bright red, changed the rear slots to 15x8's with 235/70r15's, put a tilt steering column in it and sold it to me. I have changed a few things on it since I have owned it (Buick finned drums on the front, old white steering wheel, wheel/tire combo and a few other things) but I would really love to see a picture of it in it's former glory. (purple with white frame rails).
    I will post the pics of the 1982 version (excuse the glare, I am taking pictures of glossy pictures) first, and then a few pics of how it currently looks. I have my fingers crossed that someone turns up a photo or two !!
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. casper

casper

This is how the car currently looks.... pretty much exactly like the way I bought it in 85 or 86 except for a few chips on the front fenders, the paint is starting to "check" in places, but other than the wheels and tires it looks the same.
    Here is the copper dash in all it's glory! I was told he left it copper to honor his profession of working in one of the worlds largest copper smelting mines in the world (Butte, Mt.)
    A few other identifing items are the Mercury door handles, the S.W. greenline guages and the 8 track tape player in the rear package tray. It has a roll down rear window and all the inside garnish mouldings are chrome plated (from back in the day). Thanks again.

Attached Files:

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Wow, that's pretty cool!

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Laddie Shaw also had a one time a very nice 32 black 3W :D

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great history and a sweet set of wheels.

6. F&J

F&J

Those pics would be awesome if they survive. I'm trying to picture the white frame with all the chrome and the maroon/purple...sounds great.

7. casper

casper

bump, for the possibility of a picture!

8. casper

casper

9. casper

casper

Anybody remember Bud Ballard from Butte, Montana ??

10. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

I am a 32 5w owner since 1961. I was dating a Butte girl[now wife]and drove mine to Butte in 61. Several years later on a visit a family member said a guy in town had a car like mine and wanted me to come by. We had a nice visit and car look over. I took some pictures but unfortunately I can not find them . I can attest the car was in Butte,and a nice one. On later visits I tried to contact him,but never connected. You got a nice car and a pedigree.

11. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Did you say Purple with a white frame? Colorado not too far from montana !

[​IMG]

12. casper

casper

Wow, that car is stunning ^^^^ I love the color combo. I'm pretty sure it's not the coupe that I have, but damn it's beautiful !!!. Thanks for posting it Rockey.

13. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Yes, it is one of my favorite's also !

14. rick finch

rick finch

Nice story, hope somebody comes through for you. Have faith in the power of the HAMB....

15. Any idea what happen to it, where it went, where it might be today???

16. I hope you find some early pics and they get posted. I like the purple one posted. Do you know if your car has been in any 70's mags? It looks familiar.

17. casper

casper

Hi Pensive,
    I have never been told that it was in any publication, but if it was entered in any late 60's car shows, I would guess a "Street Scene" type of magazine from that era might be my only hope. Thanks for the reply !!

18. Btt

Good luck on your quest. Are you planning on bringing it back to how it was?

19. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

WAY KOOL, casper man!
    Very interesting.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats an early '60s Hot Rod, '61 or '62?, think i have that issue. Stunning car, love the white with the purple and the nerfs...

21. bonesy

bonesy

Very cool!

Id love to see it in its purple guise too.

That said - I'm digging the red with mags hanging out too. Swapping out wheels would be a fun way to change it up from time to time.

22. casper

casper

23. casper

casper

bump again (with fingers crossed)

24. casper

casper

25. casper

casper

26. casper

casper

still searching