Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for Chevy drum brakes Where to buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35Chevy.com, May 26, 2008.

1. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

I have a 1963 Chevy rear (Hotchkis style) and I'm looking for a place to purchase complete drum brakes. From backing plates out.
    I see places like speedway have them for Fords but I cant find Chevys

[​IMG]
    I'm trying to keep my 35 100% Chevy, any ideas?

Gary

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Classic Chevy International/Ecklers should have it.
    While you're there, order the self-adjust brake adjusters.
    -Brad

3. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

The have pieces and parts but nothing complete.

Anyone else

4. j_kutsch

j_kutsch

Try harmons.com or rockauto.com, between them and Ecklers, I've had good luck.
    I don't know that you will be able to find it all in a package deal like a kit, but you should be able to find everything you need.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The drums, shoes and hardware should be available at most serious auto parts houses. Backing plates should be available from a wrecking yard or someone on here may have a pair.
    You can get the drums, shoes, cylinders and hardware from NAPA
    http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=400&CatId=3

That link should take you to the brake parts and pieces page for a 63 Impala
    If you have a wagon, original 409 or police pacage the pieces may be different though.

6. slow64

slow64
    from MB, Canada

Yeah, you're right, if you want 'em complete in a box that's looking a little tough. Quick search and I'm not seeing any backing plates either. Your local parts shop should have everything else. What you need is a part number for the backing plate and an interchange/cross reference book -- find out what backing plates will work with the rest of your hardware and then widen your search to include all of those vehicles too.
    It's a chev, that typically means there's a good deal of interchangeability.

good luck!

7. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

I found what I was looking for at MP Brakes

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=619 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=595>GM REAR DRUM BRAKE UPGRADE KIT (CRYOGENICALLY TREATED DRUM)

</TD><TD width=13>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=619 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=11>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=595><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=595 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Part #: DR1701K</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=595 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=395>For 1955-1964 full size Chevrolet cars. Uses big 11" composite, cryogenically-treated drums and high performance ceramic brake shoes to give a tremendous performance improvement over the original drums. No need to change the master cylinder or proportioning valve and all components come pre-assembled on new backing plates. Must have 3-1/2" offset wheels. Must use 14" or larger disc rims to clear drum.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>