Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for car transport from Austin to LA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Just Jones

Just Jones

Not in a rush by any means, just trying to find an affordable way to transport a project car from there to here.

Thanks - Terry :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

BenD here on the hamb has hauled stuff for me, he makes frequent So-Cal trips. A better transporter of iron you will be hardpressed to find. Gordon

3. BenD and racinman both have great reputations as honest and dependable haulers,,I've used both and was totally satisfied. HRP

4. Just Jones

Just Jones

Well, I guess I won't need to do this after all - found a real nice, clean '58 Apache right here in town and bought it tonight!

Thanks everyone

5. 53choptop

53choptop

Congrats Terry!! Now you cant just tease us like that, you need to post pics. I am kinda glad in a way, after all that talking we did, I realized I need to reshuffle my project list. With a little bit of work and the 57 can be a nice low budget shop truck, I have everything for it... so in a way THANKS!! :D

6. Just Jones

Just Jones

Rey!! Hey brother! Yeah, you know something? At the price you were asking for your truck you're practically giving it away. You really should keep that '57. That thing is going to be a knockout. Here is a little proof, from your own town, no less!

Attached Files:

7. Just Jones

Just Jones

So now . . . in total, stark contrast . . . here is what I bought last night.

The good? Totally rust free big window Deluxe cab/Fleetside shortbed with all trim, badges, etc boxed up, '58 9 inch in the back.

The bad? I have next to no time to build it! I really needed to buy a runner, not a project, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. And so it goes . . .

Rey - you're one hell of a good guy, and I'm proud to call you a friend even though I've never met you face to face. Maybe when I get this truck on the road my wife and I will road trip down for South By Southwest or The Roundup and we can actually meet.

Best of luck, and thanks bigtime, Ray - Terry

Attached Files:

8. 53choptop

53choptop

NICE!!!! Yeah that green one was painted by Gary Howard I believe, that thing if flawless, everything thiung on it is soooooo perfect, Id be afraid to drive it (not thati'd ever afford anything that nice).... as for the 58,, I love those fleetside beds man,, that looks like a super solid project right there.

I believe in hot rod karma, you treat people the way you want to be treated and it pays back in dividends, been in this long enough to know that type of karma exists.

Yesterday, was out some guys house looking at some wheels I found on craigslist, I asked him what he was working on, "an 80 camaro, you wanna check it out" he was swapping out this high dollar 454 and was looking to get rid of the engine it currently had, nothing wrong with it, he was just a high horsepower kinda guy,,,,,,long story short, $50 bux for a running 305 with edelbrock intake and carb, all the accessories and on top of that a set of headers that fit the camaro subframe, hell he was even thanking me for helping him out. Since I'm a low and slow kinda guy, that little 305 will work on the 57,,, everything works out for the better all the way around..

So keep us posted Terry on the progress, and I'll do the same.

9. Just Jones

Just Jones

Hot Rod Karma - I couldn't agree more. Love the story about the 305! Perfect for that 57.

And the '55 truck . . . I remember it from Rodders Journal. Amazing. And I agree, I never build cars to be anywhere near that clean, especially trucks, because mine get used hard (check out the pictures in my albums). Would be kind of fun to have something that clean, though. I hate rat rods, though. Ugly for the sake of shock value.

As for the '58 - not a speck of rust anywhere, and 95% straight sheet metal. It will get a Camaro clip, rear coil suspension out of a '63 - '72 chevy truck, and probably a suede paint job. I have a 283 ready to drop in it, so yeah . . . this one will be slow too.

Keep posting on your build thread for the '57! - Jones