Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking for articels on how to section a hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommyboyink, Apr 18, 2013.

1. tommyboyink

tommyboyink
    from santa rosa

looking for any info, pictures preferred on how to section a 55-59 Chevy truck hood. any advice or direction is helpful.

thanks
    Tommy

2. willymakeit

willymakeit

Have you googled it? Try a search for pie cut or pancaking a hood.
    I've seen the articles, cant remember if they pertain to your hood, but it should give you a start. I did a wedge or pie cut on my 56 F100 and it turned out good. Let me know what you find.

3. tommyboyink

tommyboyink
    from santa rosa

@willymakeit...found an article after googling it on old ford hood, gives the general idea..i had a old hot rod mag that showed step by step by i can find it. i will keep searching. what to start the section on my hood this weekend.

4. willymakeit

willymakeit

Its not hard, just time and patience. Think of how cloth folds in the curves of the hood. Take your time, plan the cuts, and move around when welding it up. Have your hammer and dollies ready to stretch the metal as you weld. Post pics of your progress.

5. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Don't know of any articles, but after I pie cut my '46 Chevy hood I found a great tip. Tack weld the hood to the fenders with the best fit you can get, then start cutting. I had mine braced twelve ways to Sunday and it still didn't fit very well after cutting and welding back together. If the car is already finished you might not want to weld the hood to the fenders but I wish I had.

6. tommyboyink

tommyboyink
    from santa rosa

@belchfire8 good idea. =) will post pics of progress. next week.

7. tommyboyink

tommyboyink
    from santa rosa