Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a Tex Smith book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Donzie

Donzie

Does anyone have a copy of the Tex Smith's Mopar Hot Rod book they would be willing to sell at a reasonable price?
    Apparently it's out of print and now they're "collectable". I don't really care about the condition, I don't plan on framing it, I thought I might actually read it.
    I heard that there is an article about putting a S-10 chassis under a '50s Dodge.

2. Big Dad

Big Dad

what do they go for ?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Donzie, if you strike out, I'd lend you mine. Wayno

5. Donzie

Donzie

Sorry but unless it includes parts I don't think it's worth $200. +.

Wayno, thanks for the offer.

6. I have a copy of this but not in perfect condition,a crease in the cover.I can send pics.I will let it go for $110 which includes shipping and insurance.That is half of what anyone else online is selling it for.

7. I picked up a new one locally last year for $18. Just keep hunting. It has lots of good chassis info including a Mustang II IFS swap, and a Mirada and a Volare subframe swaps. I don't see an S-10 frame swap here. Buy it if you can get it reasonably priced.
    This was published 1n 1990 and is called volume one. I don't think he wrote a volume two.

8. Big Dad

Big Dad

No kidding, 200 bucks ? I have one ..Can't believe something I kept actually went up in value ..

9. I have one in very good condition.
    Same as shown on the Amazon site.

I'll make you a package deal.

Tex Smith's "The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual" by Ron Ceridono autographed.

"Plymouth 1946 - 1959" by Ben Jamison.

All in good condition - $150. for all.

10. It's a good book but you would be considered a silly mofo to pay $200+ for a used soft cover book. Much of this information is compiled in the old Direct Connection/Mopar Performance books compiled and edited by Larry Shepard. Those should still be available. Tex Smith is a charming writer but he is not overly long on some of the details which is fine if you have some idea of what you are doing in the first place. The best parts of this book are the many specific examples of modifications the 1930s-1950s Chrysler engineering.

Tex! If you are still alive it's time to print a new and updated edition!

http://www.bestwebbuys.com/How_to_B...ot_Rods-ISBN_9780879384593.html?isrc=b-search

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  11. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Go to your library,they had this book were i live.If you request it they will usually get it.Burl.

12. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Donzie, I have this book and was going to scan the S-10 swap and send it to you but I don't see it in here. There is a short piece on swapping in a Volare front clip on something(doesn't say what)and one on putting a Mirada subframe under a 52 Dodge Pickup. If you have any of the other Tex Smith books you probably have most of the information in here already. No way it is worth 200 bucks.

13. Donzie

Donzie

Thanks gang. I have a line on one from a fellow HAMBer.
    I may have been missled on the S-10 chassis swap.

14. $200.00???????? Gawd, keep looking if you have not found one yet, mine cost $11.20 off epay, just got here today.