Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a prayer to say at dads service

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Tinman, May 21, 2013.

1. Olds Tinman

Olds Tinman
    from W.N.Y

I would like some thing gear head ish if that make any sents he is the one who got me in to cars and just want to say thanks in his send off and let he know I will take care of ma and his rides Thank. Tinman

2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

As a former funeral director, my advice is to say what feels right. In my opinion, something else would feel "canned". Sorry about your pops.

3. birdman42

birdman42

It sounds like you already know what to say.Sorry about your Dad.

4. I agree with birdman42, and what's more important is that even though he's gone, he knows. May he rest in peace, sounds like you had a good relationship, and that you'll have forever. Believe me, I know, my dad passed away in 1974 at 51 and he is the one who filled me with the hot rod passion and there isn't a day that goes by I don't think of him and it always brings a smile to my face. My prayers to you and your family.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I ended a funeral service with this from Langston Hughes (poet) once...

Tell all my mourners
    To mourn in red --
    Cause there ain't no sense
    In my bein' dead.

It might have offended some...but it's all about remembering and celebrating, not about death where we know nothing and can do nothing until we get there ourselves.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Sorry to hear about your father passing on.

When my Dad passed, we had a time during the service where we opened up to share some stories. Some of his old buddies started taking, everything from practical jokes, to my uncle as a teenager riding on a fender working the throttle as my dad drove only to put it in a ditch (no throttle linkage, it was a junk car they bought from a farmer), or driving 100 miles to "cruise for chicks" only to blow out 3rd gear and having to drive back in 2nd the whole way back. We taped the service.

I agree, that what you have said is from the heart, nothing better then that.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Sharing those stories is really it. We did that after my Alice died, a month or so after the funeral. I heard stories from people who knew her long before I came along, childhood friends and people she worked with. It was a real celebration of a long hard life.

9. very sorry to hear, the right words will come out!

10. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Yep, just say what is in your heart. It will be fine. Sorry for your loss.

11. Another source of comfort would be the Hamb Chapel,,many dedicated folks stop in daily and are strong in their convictions and could possibly offer help. HRP

12. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be great when you find the right words to say. I buried my dad last friday. Its never easy to know how to sum up a mans life.

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

I know I want this on my headstone

2Timothy 4:7
    I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You may have said it all in you question...he taught you, now you have to carry on. That's all there is, perhaps, and it is a lot.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

At a memorial service for a machinist friend one of the old timers said "he was a first class workman who always took good care of his tools".

There are worse things to be remembered for.

16. Rich427

Rich427

Very sorry for your loss.