Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for a good machine shop near san antonio TX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madmatt, Oct 3, 2010.

1. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

sorry, i dont think i have posted on here in around forever.

anywho, thought i would ask if anyone knew of a good machine shop here in san antonio TX to take my flywheel/pp combo, since it seems to be out of balance

i had my flywheel/PP combo balanced at a local place here before i installed it just to make sure it was good before i put it in. im guessing it was not balanced properly
    with it in i got some pretty wild vibes that are rpm dependent, and worsen as the rpms climb. its not a noise, its a vibe, ya know.
    while tracking with a steth, it comes from the bellhousing and up through the trans cross member into the body. with the windows up the damn car is almost unbearable.

measured the runout on my adapter plate/bellhousing with a test indicator and it was fine.
    to rule things out i
    took out the clutch, and pilot bearing, reinstalled the pressure plate, put the trans back in and bolted up the cross member and ran the thing
    same evil vibe. it pretty much has got to be the flywheel/pp

was golden before the trans swap.

this is a volvo b230 mated to a T5z, i know, i know, you love it.
    thanks everyone:D
    take care

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  2. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

3. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Check out Kendrick, or Mission Auto Parts on So. Roosevelt ... or that little place whose name I can't recall that's a half-block north of Culebra just inside Loop 410. And don't forget to check on the independents ... the best machine work is often done by a guy who's working out of his own shop or garage.

4. Andy

Andy

X2 for Mission. Avoid Duffin at all costs. They machined and assembled my short block and did not clean the blocked crank oil passages of dirt and rust. Rods were in backwards. I redid everything they touched. They overcharged and did not honor a quote they gave me for the contracted work. The just upped the bill 200%

5. WTFHemi

WTFHemi
    from Austin

I've taken stuff to Mueller machine for years and had good luck. they do a ton of sbc, drag stuff.

6. WTFHemi

WTFHemi
    from Austin

they did my 331 hemi and even replaced one of the valves on the heads.

7. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

Duffin is who did the balance. i brought it back to see what they would do about it. and since i had already paid for it once.

andy, holy lord. im glad i did not bring an engine over there. i was trusting my engine work to RSI in oregon since they are probably the most well versed in building performance volvo redblocks. they will be doing a 2.7 stroker bottom end for me.

ill see what duffin says tomorrow.

thanks guys for all your input.
    +1 on the own garage comment.

this car isint exactly hamb material, but i like this board.
    hopefully in the future ill have a volvo PV that is hamb material.

8. triton6972

triton6972

Try Longs Machine on the south side. Always had great luck with them and they are a family shop.

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I've never had any trouble with Duffin's work, Mission Auto Parts is a good place.
    http://missionauto.com/

Miller's is good too.
    Miller's Automotive Machine
    6312 Grissom Rd, San Antonio, TX 78238
    (210) 684-7722

10. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

ok, got the flywheel back.
    originally when i brought it in, they told me that the flywheel was off when they spun it by its self. and that the PP was off a little. they added a weight to the PP

this time, they told me that the flywheel was dead on at 8500 rpms, and the PP was still off, so they added another wight to the pp.
    the new weight is slightly smaller than the original one they welded on the PP, and about 2 1/4 inches clockwise of it, at the same diameter.

a little contradictory if i must say so

they said it was off, but probably not enough for what i was describing. i will see i suppose.

11. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Lozano Brothers Porting -top notch if your going racing.