Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a decent affordable letter-er in Phoenix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Just as the title says, I'm in need of a decent affordable sign letterer of some sort in the Phoenix metro area. I need to have a 1964 Chevrolet C10 grille lettered in the factory "C H E V R O L E T" indentations, am I *#&#$*#&$#*$ING running out of talent.:) It doesn't look to be a difficult task, but, it has me slightly pissed at the moment.:rolleyes:

2. Find a sign painter in the phone book or buy some one shot and do it yourself,,filling in letters on a Chevy grill is not difficult if you use the correct type of paint. HRP

3. I'm using Testors model paint - a very small fine haired brush, and am having a difficult time getting the quality I would like, hence the thread.

Thanks.

4. river1

river1

I think that jeem (jimmy smith) either can do it or knows someone who can so check with him.

later jim

5. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

alittle FYI that model paint fades. well for me it did ur better off with some single shot paint. Goodluck!

6. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

You can get one-shot and brushes online at dick blick .com

7. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Or you can get One-Shot at Space Age Paints on Country Club in Mesa. Plus you can wander around and look at the neat s**t on display there.:D

8. I had to install the grille for a week while I use the truck for some running around.
    [​IMG]
    It looks like absolute crap, so, I'll be stripping the whole thing, and redoing. The world turned against me on this project, including a bird crapping on one of the coats of white.... sometimes the world just wants to give you more "practice" I guess.:rolleyes: Thanks everyone for the tips, and apologies for my earlier grumpy attitude.:)

9. Abomb

Abomb

Yep, get you some one shot and a good lettering quill. You'll be amazed at how easy it is when you're using the right product.

10. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

Model paint is way to thick, it will always look like you used model paint. If you want to come buy the shop I have black one shot and a letting quill. I'll help you do it. If you want a pro to do it, I would recomend bugs (Efrain Gonzales) if he's still around. He is one of the best I have ever seen.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I used Testors and Aero Gloss model paints for detailing stuff the whole time I was a grump.

Then, early in 1976, Von Franco introed me to One shot. I've been filled with glee ever since.
    Happy stuff! I've heard One Shot makes some folks just SO gay! Wheee!
    Not me, though. Just 'gleeful'.

12. Very well put. Thanks for the advice.:)

13. Everyone thinks it easy, it is but then it isn't. I've also done many of the chevrolet letters on tailgates, raised and inset and they are tricky because the brush loves to tag the edges. If everyone could do it, you would.

1 shot works best. use a 2, 3 or 4 quill, apply very steady because you will slide outside the lines the first and 8th try, and if you ain't got it after wiping the paint trips and slips by the 10th time, use electrical tape.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Crap, didn't think of one shot! We can get that at Arizona art supply less than 1 mile from your place! it will make life much easier...

15. Thanks for the encouragement gang. I'm ready to tackle this again after this busy few weeks slows down. I was going to ask you where to get all the supplies Chip.... maybe they'll have a quill as well. Seems like something I should have in my toolbox.