Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking for a 1 inch dropped axel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Mark, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

can anyone tell me where i might find a 1 inch dropped axel for a 36 ford pickup ?
    thanks

2. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

seems like a lot of work and cost for inch drop. reverse the eyes on the spring??

3. Hey Mark, if all you want in 1" just reverse the eyes as someone else mentioned, since you in Dallas I could do that for you if you need the help, just pm me. K

4. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

iv got a reversed eye spring and a 4 inch dropped axel on it now, just sits to damn low.
    thought ablught putting the stock axel back under it,

5. Tdesoto276

Tdesoto276
    from Des Moines

Check out Dave Mann at Roadsters.com. He did a custom drop for me. Very good work.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Can you explain why 1" is going to make a difference ?

Retro Jim

7. I assume you have a Model A, therefore already have a Model A front crossmember (used to drop a '32 about an extra inch). Isn't there an aftermarket Model A style front crossmember that is advertised to be about an inch lower than a stock Model A? Maybe try that, it's got to be much cheaper than the axle (but will require some fab/R&R).

Steve

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think he's wanting to go from a 4" drop axle to only 1" so he'd be changing the ride height 3" all together.

What about running a 40-48 axle? They've got some stock drop built in!

9. why not just shim your spring. speedway sells them at .25 thick, i know an inch might be alot to shim but start small and see how you like it....

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Are you feeling OK? I ask as I've never heard a REAL hot rodder complain about it being too low ( I have however heard complaints about it being too short, usually from the girlfriend/wife:D). Take the reversed eye spring back out and add a couple of leaves........should put you about where you want to be.

Frank

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Oh yea, how about some pictures so we can see the problem?

Frank

12. HotRod33

HotRod33

Is your frame Z'ed or what is making it so low........ I always thought that if a hotrod didn't drag or scrape at least once a day that it was too high......

13. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

this is a 36 pickup i have and the oil pan is about 4 inches off the ground, maybe 3 inches, hah
    and yea, im trying to go from 4 inch drop to just 1 for a 3 inch raise.

14. put on a bigger tire to get it higher
    or a smaller tire with the stock axle
    tk