Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Looking at purchasing a 41 Ford Coupe and have questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeltramp brian, Jan 2, 2023.

1. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I'm looking at purchasing this 41 Ford Coupe and have a couple questions. This motor that's in it looks to be an 8 ba? Perhaps they swapped it at sometime? What model is this exactly.? It has a back seat so I guess it's not a business Coupe. IMG_20221231_184619.jpg IMG_20221231_184515.jpg IMG_20221231_184632.jpg IMG_20221231_184534.jpg

Toms Dogs, Stogy, bchctybob and 7 others like this.
  2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

3. Looks like a lowering and cleaning away from a cool sled

aussie57wag, Stogy, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  4. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

That's exactly what I'm thinking. A customer of mine went to go look at it and he wants to do the usual Mustang 2 front end airbags repaint cuz the paint's not great new interior etc etc etc. I think the car is perfect as is and he knew that so he passed it along to me cuz it would cost him too much to make it like he wants.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're a wuss if you don't buy it.

-Abone.

Old-Soul, 49ratfink, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  6. No m2 needed.
    Everything is there ya need
    Have the front axle dropped, lower the rear. Rebuild the juice brakes.
    Buff out the old paint and cruise it

OahuEli, aussie57wag, Spooky and 12 others like this.
  7. It appears to be the 41 Super Delux sedan coupe, with the slightly later two piece front fenders. Engine is the 49-53 version, either 8BA (Ford car), 8RT (truck). or 8CM? (Mercury). Nice either way.

Spooky, Stogy and alanp561 like this.
  8. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Yeah that's no problem Anthony I would never put a Mustang 2 in it that's what the customer wanted to do. I guess I'll message the due today and see if I can meet up with him. This is one of the cars I always wanted a 29 Ford Roadster and a 41 Ford coop

aussie57wag, Stogy, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That'll make a kick ass tail dragger. Rebuilt drivetrain & suspension, add some skirts. Clean it up and cruise.
    Try to get a look at condition of the underside during daylight hours (night pics).
    Good time to bargain, right after the Holidays when sellers are 'motivated'.

10. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Yep daytime purchase for sure. I've got other pictures that he sent me from the daylight when it was in front of his house

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  11. Love 41s
    Ugly ducklings? You betcha
    That’s why I dig em.
    Killer tail dragger

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  12. Rogga

Rogga

The body looks like a Buisness coupe to me............short doors.
    Correct me if I’m wrong.

13. It is a business coupe, which i prefer.

Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Don't subframe it with the Mustang kit.
    Leave the front axle set up or install a dropped axle to keep it period perfect.
    Before you start making changes be aware that 41 Fords are a one year only
    and have many one year only parts, like the anti-chatter rods that bolt to the engine and the front cross member.
    Do you homework.

15. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

In ‘41 all the coupes were short doors. They only had the one roofline.

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It’d be a 67-B Super Deluxe Coupe. They did make the long door coupes in 41 listed as Sedan Coupes.

17. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Once again, I'd never put a Mustang 2 in this thing. It's definitely going to stay traditional. The guy says it ran 4 years ago and the water pump went out started leaking and he just kind of pushed it to the side. So if I can get it up and running that'd be great if not I've got another 8ba here to swap in

Old-Soul, 550Coupe, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It it is as solid in the floors and underneith as you see on top it can be a sweet ride pretty easily.
    I agree that it doesn't need a lot right now except for running good and the normal safety concerns and a stance ajustment.
    I'm more than a bit partial to 41's as my dad bought a 41 rag top when he came back from the South Pacific and that is what he was driving when he met my Mom. Dads 41 ragtop.jpg

19. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Although there was a long door sedan coupe available, this one is definitely a business coupe. From what I understand it was common practice to remove the package shelf and replace with a back seat. Tight fit for adult passengers. Nice looking coupe!

alanp561 and 1oldtimer like this.
  20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They made short door coupes with the jump seats ( called them 5 passenger) as compared to the long door 6 passenger.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  21. It does look like the regular coupe body lines. I went to look at a '46 coupe that had a back seat stuffed in it, the back was vertical and NO legroom....it would have been uncomfortable even for a child.

"Body styles included two-door and four-door sedans, a sedan coupe, a business coupe, and convertible coupe, sedan delivery wagon, and woody station wagon."

I would try to keep the 8BA at all costs, it looks to have truck waterpumps to get it sitting right.Looks clean, good luck and keep the post going with more pics.

22. Make sure to take into account the back fees if it's too far out. You can get them waved with some work, but it's another bargaining chip.
    7.jpg

It does look like a coupe body, (check out the 4 pipe tips):
    3.jpg

Rear seat looks kinda close:
    5.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    Squablow, Stogy, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  23. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Looks like a great car...

Stogy likes this.
  24. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Rear seat may have been added to a business coupe, ive seen it done. Great car!

25. brady1929

brady1929

Cool tail dragger.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

I’m not a tail dragger hater or anything, but I really like prewar Fords set with an attitude as a hotrod.
    No one’s going to change your thoughts on what direction you want for it, so have a good time getting it there!

Jibs, alanp561, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  27. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

As far as back fees the owner claims it's been on non-op for 4 years.hopefully that's true.... and I want to keep the Flathead for sure. We shall see if this one is a runner or not if not I do have a runner 8ba in the shop

Stogy and bchctybob like this.
  28. I’m the opposite. I’m not into a nose down look after 34
    And the styling for cars from 39ish thru 42/2. Mmmmmmm
    sexy

29. Looks like a great car from where I stand! I really like 41’s! :cool:

Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  30. williebill

williebill

Good looking car. Always loved the front end of a '41. Another vote for taildragger.

guthriesmith likes this.