Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking at a 61 Ford uni-cab - what do I look for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carmak, Feb 18, 2012.

1. carmak

carmak

I have never owned an early 60's Ford truck. I am looking at one tomorrow and would like to know what I should look for. It's an F100 short wheel base uni-cab.

I am in Iowa (so is the truck) but the truck is said to have come from the southwest about 20 years ago and was stored indoors until 8 years ago.

Thanks.
    Carmak

2. shocker998md

shocker998md

Look for rot under the cab and the front of the bed. The rad support, cab mounts and then anything else that really jumps out. My floor pans werent that bad on my 66.

is it a driver? what driveline is in it?

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

floorpan, front cab mounts, front of bed/cab meeting area, torque box underneath, tailgate are all the spots that seem to be bad on all of them, the defroster vent drains down to the kick pannels and has nowhere to drain, just pool up and rust. same with torque box, fills with water and mud, makes rust, tailgates are hard to find and almost always rusty

4. carmak

carmak

I have herd about the tail gate being a problem. Are any repair parts available for the tail gate?

5. R Pope

R Pope

On my first Uni, the cab roof was broken loose at the bottom of the rear window. There is a join there, with plug welds. I have seen a few others with the same welds broken.
    The cab mounts under your feet are often rusted away, and as said already, the tail gates are almost always thin.