Register now to get rid of these ads!

lookin for info to swap frame on 38 ford trk??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redrepo69, Nov 2, 2004.

1. redrepo69

redrepo69

looking to swap over the frame on a 38 truck-- any suggestions as to which later model will have the closest tracking width and wheelbase to use??..........I don't feel wheelbase is as important as tracking width, as the wheelbase can be altered to make it fit.......any help is appreciated......

2. Red..first you may want to post an intro. Most guys on here like to see them.

As far as a frame swap on a 38 Ford pick up I doubt you will find one that works. I put 40's Chevy and Ford truck on S-10 frames but I am pretty sure it will not work on your truck. The steering box will be too far forward to clear your fenders and grill. I do know a guy that has a project truck sitting on a Toyota pick up frame. Not sure of the year but I would guess the early 80's. It is just a project and nothing tried and true.
    Clark

3. Rand Man

Rand Man

Write a paragraph telling us whom we are talking to (intro). Why do you want to change from the stock frame? A frame swap can be a viable option on some later cars. Most modern frames are of the perimeter style and are too wide where you need them to be narrow. The engines are also set too far forward.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

1935 to 40 frames are all basicly the same. NOTHING else works as well. That said you can use ANYTHING if you keep cutting and welding. But whats the point of that? You will of necessity end up with something that fits like a 38 frame. I saw a 1925 Tall T truck cab on an S-10 frame last week. REALLY REALLY Awful. that guy doesnt get it. You want something that looks right. For example, you wouldnt put square headlights in a very rounded car.

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

I should clarify what I meant by “later” cars. Later than 1949 or where the frame would never show or be in the way of the fenders.

6. redrepo69

redrepo69

ok, so far thanks for the help.

The frame I have is pretty weak w/rust in a few places, and I was looking to update the suspension as well, this is why I had looked into a frame swap.

as far as the intro, where will I need to post this info?

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

Start a new post right here on the main board.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another problem with most late frames (except the more primitive pickups) is that they are designed to be used with a strong body structure. A typical GM separate frame, Impala or Midsize going far back and up to the end of the type, consists of massively strong front and rear suspension crossmembers connected by very flimsy open channel rails. The middle of the car is supported more by the body structure than the rails, and the rear part behind the crossmemberis also too flimsy for a truck bed.