Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookin for good body shop and engine rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sgt_Slacker, Nov 7, 2011.

1. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Paint alone is gonna cost ya around 4 grand if you're painting inside and out! Sand blast and prime is around 2-2500. That only leaves 2 grand for metal work. Not gonna happen. As others said, if you want it done you will have to do all the dirty work yourself. I'd say get it blasted and epoxy primed. To get that done you will have to tear it apart. Completly apart. Once you get it back you can prolly work a deal with someone who will do side work for the metal work and bondo. If it is prepped right you can take it to one of the cheapo paint spots and get some color on it, then buff it out yourself. Doing it this way you might come in under 15k. Personally I'd look for one in better shape that only needs some mechanical love to get it on the road and have a driver that you can slowly fix cosmetics. At our shop labor alone runs 40-60k for a frame off restoration. That's not including custom stuff, parts and stuff we sub out like motor rebuilds, trans rebuilds, upholstery, chrome, and glass install.

2. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

We get alot of these as well. It's really sad to see the state of the restoration shops that arent up to the challenge so to speak. What is insulting is that at least 60% of the shops that do it (I actually think it's more like 85%) dont know what they are doing and give the guys that actually do quality work a bad rep. I charge for what I have to do to make the car right. No more and no less. Metal work is not easy if you want it right. Could I cobble a patch in there and build it out of bondo? Sure I could, but I won't! Quality work takes time, and time is money. Simple as that.

3. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

[/QUOTE]Nothing was said to insult you. This statement is pretty insulting to me. Same with the "rip off" statements. You come on here asking professionals for advice, then insult us because we charge for the work we do. Fuck you, do it yourself, have it done cheap, get "ripped off" . 75% of the restorations I do are after the guy dumped 8 to 10 grand for shit work. Just dont expect a ton of free advise from the people you insult.[/QUOTE]

lol wow some one got all butt-hurt!! you must have a hard life not knowing how to read!!! the topic of this thread is "Lookin for good body shop and engine rebuild" NOT "i wouldnt touch it for less then bla bla bla" AND "what you have is a parts car" its awesome you can put a price on a PICTURE and not seeing it in person. yeaaaa i take that as an insult! and what you said was an OPINION!;)

THIS CAR WAS HANDED DOWN FROM MY DAD WHO GOT IT FROM MY GRANDPA. i dont see it as a parts car!

i asked for a good priced shop and if $8500 was too much. its looking like a killer deal this far!! the shop i asked does QUALITY work!! not SH*T work. just because i thought ur $25k for paint and body was much, didnt mean u had to get a potty mouth!:eek: people can do GREAT jobs and GREAT prices.

yes i thank every1s REAL advice to do the work my self and save, wich i most likly will after a few more REAL quotes.

soo keep you potty mouth to your self and dont post on my thread!

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Do yourself a favor...
    Read This First!
    then do your intro...
    then listen and learn, your attitude is what is getting the response you are bitching about.

5. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

i apologize for my attitude, can you please close/delete this thread? i dont need drama, i just want to enjoy fixing my cars and getting GREAT advice and tips!!! :D

6. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Phrases you should think about. Just saying......

1. a friends high end shop
    2. they ONLY do quality jobs, they have a rep to keep
    3. obvious he not gonna change me that! its a friends shop
    4. will be done in between jobs ( WTF?)
    5. 75% of the restorations I do are after the guy dumped 8 to 10 grand for shit work. Just dont expect a ton of free advise from the people you insult. True

6. apologize for my attitude, can you please close/delete this thread? You don't have an attitude. Your looking for advise. You've received some great advice from people who make a living doing exactly what you want done to your car. When all of the people you ask start throwing up warning signs, maybe you should step back and think about it. No one on this site wants to see you post about a bad experience. Not what the hamb is about. We're trying to help you but what you do with the advise is all on you. Good Luck.

7. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

heres the deal. can a car be built for that much? yes. if all you are paying for is material. i am a bodyman by trade. i wouldnt fix that for that price. if you havent done any metal work/ rust repair you have no idea how much it takes to do a clean job. the collision standard for bondo is 1/4" think. i wont do anything more than a 1/16 and thats if im really frustrated with the panel. i know he is just saying what you want to hear when he says he will replace the dents with new metal. why? pul out a torch and a hammer and beat the crap out of it. its old steel. it has memory. now, if he is going to do all of that for that price and do quality, go and get a loan right now and have him sign a contract and pay him right now. because you arent getting screwed, you are screwing over a friend.

*and a lot of "quality cars" have been sculpted by mud. you would be shocked if you saw what a lot of shops send out. if i didnt have a heart i would post the thread of the chop that was done from a "high end" builder on here. blasted and i think my sister could have done a better job. best thing you can do is get progress pics of everything before mudwork.

8. Good luck with that.

9. voodoo1

voodoo1

Yup!!!