Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookey what I got for a project!! (Hyfire Poly!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfhound423, May 10, 2009.

1. Bucky245

Bucky245

ya i plan on having it magnafluxed but i would like to try and find some parts or at least know their is a motor out their i could put in that is a poly to kinda put it back to original or i will probably just build up my 327 chevy i have sitting in the front of my shop i like the looks of this old poly though

2. 73RR

73RR

Oh Boy.....if that shiverlay sitting in the corner is even remotely tempting then you will be sorely disappointed when you start shopping for Poly (Hemi) parts. These days you really need some deep pockets to rebuild a old Mope like yours.

I won't bother asking you to refrain from using 'that' thing 'cause you'll do what you'll do.

You should consider starting your own build thread so as to not hijack Pete's...

3. Gary's right - you'll need some deep pockets and a boatload of patience to round up obsucre speed parts. That 327 will only take you a few weeks to completely rebuild and have in the car... and you'll be just like all the other guys. You can take the time, patience, and dedication to do it right and rebuild the Hyfire. Trust me - it's worth the journey, and those toothy valve covers just look soooo cool. When you crack the hood and people see that unusual motor in there, it always starts a heck of a conversation. My son and I really had a great time building the Hyfire, from scavenging the parts, to having him rebuild the fuel and oil pump himself. So... sounds like it's time for you to make a choice.

4. Headed home tomorrow for a long weekend with my family, and some strategizing on finishing Big Blue. We have to get her ready to become a (4 wheeled) citizen of the Old Dominion. Annandale, VA is a looooong way from Tacoma, WA!

5. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Enjoy the weekend .... and good luck with your move. Cant wait to see you get that beast running!

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yeah good luck with the move to VA. Can you say "humidity"? :eek:

7. Home stretch now... I'll fly home in a week, start packing everything we own, and load (the hopefully really close to being finished with the drivetrain) Big Blue on a trailer to drive her across the country to her new home in "Occupied Virginia" (that's the part that's N. of Fredericksburg, and full of Yankees). I'll try and post a few pics of her as we do the final engine/transmission/driveshaft bits and then load her on a flat bed (yeah...I know...should be driving her...life happened while I was making plans) and set out. Hmmmm... :rolleyes: maybe I'll do a Big Blue travelogue, as we traverse the continent...post pics on the HAMB from along the way...got the App on my iPhone...might as well use it! Anyway - her new garage is swept and ready for her arrival in Annandale. :D

8. Good luck w/the cross country move. We like travelogue pictures, post em when you can.
    Bob

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  9. Firewall recessed for the Hyfire:[​IMG]

From the engine bay:
    [​IMG]

Motor back in for a test fit - like a glove!!!
    [​IMG]

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Are you gonna stop at Wall Drug in South Dakota? I remember that being a pretty popular place when I was but a little tyke.

11. What's a trek across the nation on I-90 without a quick zip thru Wall, SD? We hope to make Rapid City tomorrow, so maybe brunch at Wall Drug?

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That sounds reasonable. Too bad you don't have time to check out the Black Hills, thats some beautiful country. 'Course the Badlands is pretty cool too, in a desolate way.

13. n847

n847

Awesome!!! This thread may finaly have solved my dillema about what motor for my 47 plymouth coupe. Thats a beautiful motor...now where to find one...that I can afford??????

I love your car thats an awesome build!

14. Badass thunderstorms in the Badlands of SD.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 73RR

73RR

You're getting closer Pete. I hope the rest of the trip is a 'non-event'.

Sua Sponte

16. Holed up in Akron for the night - one more day on the road... so close, yet so far.

17. Pete;
    When you get your Poly. up and running you will here comments like, what the hell is that motor, or is it 348/409 Chev. I had a guy ask if it was a nail head Buick. With that in mind, keep-er headed in to the wind bud. All the work is well worth it just for the comments you will hear.
    Bob
    PS. Keep the pictures coming

18. Thank the lord - we just crossed the Mason-Dixon Line. Not far now!

19. 2759 miles - we made it in one piece!
    [​IMG]

20. 73RR

73RR

Glad you didn't have any issues on the trip. As for 'Ol Blue, what is left to be done ?

Gary

21. Thanks to all the positive energy, thoughts, and prayers from the HAMBers, we made it all the way incident free. Let's see... what's left to do in my new/tiny garage now:
    Complete rewire and 12V conversion
    Pop in the clutch and plumb the hydraulics to make that work
    Replumb the brakes and fit an E-brake on her new rear (49 had the trans brake..thats gone and the B-model rear needs to have the brakes put on)
    Cut and balance the driveshaft
    plumb the fuel lines to the carbs
    ignite and break in engine
    drive around the block a few times, then take on shakedown cruise
    pull off all chrome and have redone
    pound out all the visible dents
    sand it down to bare metal
    install visor
    take it to a buddy's auto body shop in Petersburg and have her resprayed Chevron Blue with a hint of metal flake (her current, worn tint)
    ....and then... once the BEvERage fetcher and I have all that knocked out, we're going to take it on a road trip and have us an adventure.

Sound like a plan?

22. George

George

Yeah, except the "install visor", butt ugly things!:)

23. Awwww... Come on! I found a vintage Fulton a few years ago... just need to strip it down to bare metal and have her repainted when Blue gets re-sprayed. I'm still on the hunt for some fender skirts to round it all out! :D

24. I hope all is well with you Wolfhound. Have you been able to work on the Ply/poly lately?

25. I'm still alive. We got her here safely a few weeks ago, and I finally got her out last weekend and washed her from top to bottom. I'm just now finishing unpacking my tools, as they were buried under a bunch of other stuff that had to get moved around. I've been working like a mad man for the past few weeks, and it has been too hot to think, much less try and rewire Blue in a small, stuffy garage. That said - I'm itching for the weather to cool down a bit, and for my kids to head back to school so I can get some time getting greasy and dirty. Any day now...any day.

I promise to post more pics as I get back under the hood and get her up and running.

26. Crap... short notice travel... gonna lose 2 weeks. Sigh. Oh well, at least August will be "tax free." Maybe I can save enough shekels to rewire the beast and get her up and (finally) running!?!?!