Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Look what the wife bought at the Good Guy show in Charlotte

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff J, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

This it in previous life?
    [​IMG]

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

close, but no cigar! that's a Champion........not a Commander......the latter has about 10" more wheelbase and a different grille........

Ray

Jeff J likes this.
  3. You can easily spot the difference in the two by the distance from the front edge of the door to the bottom if the front wheel lip. The distance on the Champion is less than the Commander

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jeff J likes this.
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Dang! :eek:
    Well that is what you get from a 36 Ford guy!! Sorry but at least it is a convertible.;)

They look happy in it.

Jeff J likes this.
  5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I'm guessing that 75% of the beginning projects here on the HAMB would be considered totaled by most insurance companies.

safetythird likes this.
  6. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Cool ride. Anymore, I like the `47-49 body style better than the later `50-51 bullet nose cars. Having said that, a `50 Commander front end will bolt on, if ya really gotta have a bullet-nose Stude. I hope you don't, though, you rarely see the earlier cars. I looked through all of my South Bend pics and was only able to find one `47-49 Commander.
    Also, as much as I don't like stubbing the frame on these cars due to the very thin metal in the frame, it makes sense. Parts for the early suspension are expensive and mostly non-existant. It will also help drive-ability to eliminate the steering bell-crank and the crappy Ross steering box.

P1010630.JPG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Hnstray likes this.
  7. Jeff J

Jeff J

Close but not !

8. Jeff J

Jeff J

That's why I'm replacing the front end ! I was told the front end and engine and wiring harness are all new but will not be using them ! Will be up for sale with other parts !

9. partssaloon

partssaloon

10. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I posted your wife's paint idea over on the Photoshop thread, and TheMoose came up with this. I think it is definitely a great inspiration!

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

And here's a grille treatment by Rot 'n Kustom. :)[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

So, is this one still awaiting its turn?

loudbang likes this.
  13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Dare to be different. Look around for a Studebaker v8. They are tough well engineered with forged cranks, timing gears not chains, put out pretty good power and sound different than the belly button motor. I have a truck with a 259 out of a 63 Daytona. Drawback is they are heavy. Mine has an adapter plate for a gm 700r4. Dual exhaust with 4 bbl. Makes 195 HP. The289 with a bit longer stroke set up the same way makes 215 I think.
    You will find it has what is known as a Planar style front suspension with upper locating arms, king pins and a low mounted transverse leaf spring as the lower locating member. Kind of like an upside down version of a corvette rear setup. Set up with dropped knuckles and turnerdisc brake kit,you would have a trouble free independent suspension without a lot of mongrel parts. A jeep Cherokee rear end with 3:73 gears would make a nice match for thev8 and what ever trans you choose to use. Interesting start for a build.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Well as long as you are going Mustang II why not a Ford 5.0/302 ? Maybe you won't have to "Massage" the firewall for that rear mount distributor.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Davy, how can a six cylinder engine have six main bearings? 3, 4 or 7, can’t figure six. Bones