Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what the truck driver dropped off today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hollenbeck32, Jul 16, 2007.

1. hollenbeck32

hollenbeck32

Well its here, the Ala Kart. I will be doing the prep for it to get the body work done by Mickey Galloway, and then I will be painting it. It will be all done for the GNRS next year to show with its cousin the Sam Barris Merc.

I am honered to be able to do these great History Cars. I will keep you all posted on its progress, I thought it was pretty cool the original paint and pinstriping on the backing plates, and the scallop on the frame..Enjoy it , I am

Later Darryl

Attached Files:

2. Nice, if I send you an S.A.S.E. will you put some of the sanding dust in there to hang on the wall ? That would be cool.....lol

3. Ok Darryl....first Sams Merc now the Ala Kart WOW....very cool I want your day job:D :D.

John

4. An honor not taken lightly. I'm so jelous,and excited to see it finished. Good luck.

5. Very cool! You obviously can handle the task with your resume!

6. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

That's ultra cool! An honor indeed!

Dave

7. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Wow, the last thing i got off a truck was a muffler, i wish i was you. The ala Kart is right neer the top of my 10 favorites list. keep us posted with the progress.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

THE ALA KART? Seriously?
    WOW thats really something there!

9. Squablow

Squablow

Wasn't this car badly burned in a fire? If that's true then my hat's off to whoever did the metalwork on it.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I did get some Urinestain bushings for a Corvette rearend off a truck today. Not as cool as the Ala Kart, but easier to afford right now..........

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Oh man I cannot wait to see that at the GNRS.

12. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

that is a true honor indeed.im sure you of all people can handle the pressure

13. Burny

Burny

Looking forward to seeing progress pics...Congrats. You are a lucky dog...

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

the Ala Kart is one of the great custom rods of all time. I remember it in the 1959 Hotrod annual. You are one lucky guy!

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

wow!

Awesome.

16. Spooky

Spooky

OH YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS.

THAT is the coolest thing I have ever read on the HAMB.

Really.

That is one my all time favorite cars of all time. Besides the R&C Dreamtruck and the Hirohata Merc.

Wow...the Ala Kart...

You just made my day.....

Please, keep us posted.

By the way, It'd be cool if it were entered as a contender for the BIG trophy.

17. racer756

racer756

This man can stone cold paint! I have been fortunate to see him in action when painting at my Bro VORNHAGEN's shop in Brentwood, Ca when we work on my Race car. Great dude also.
    Hudson

18. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

What History!

Prep that is the Finish Line!

Very Cool

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa

I was at brizios a few weeks back and seen it there. cool to see it in the reconstruction phase..

20. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Cool,cant wait to see the progress. That's awesome!

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That, indeed, is an honor not to be taken lightly. I hope you let us follow along as you go.

22. Danimal

Danimal

I just picked up a model from a buddy on the bay last month. I was trying to explain it to my boys, it will be much easier now!

23. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Wow! What An Honor!

24. Hotrodladycrusr, ChevyGirlRox and I saw this at Brizio's a few days before the restoration began. We all "laid hands" on this icon.:cool: :D

Noticed the original (Jeffries, I think) striping on the backing plates. They seemed to have survived rather well - looks to be straight 1-Shot # 162 Purple, a notorious "fader" back in the 50's and 60's.

25. I bet a lot of us older guys here had that as a model. AMT made a lot of money on that one.

26. Darryl, that has to be so cool that you get to work on all of these historical builds. I have seen all of your previous work from D'Agostino's & Zocchi's cars, to the Moal built "SEDUCED" that took the AMBR, to Sam's merc, and now the Ala Kart. You do unbelievable work and it must be crazy to think of all the contacts that you can make in this industry having Andy Brizio as your father-in-law! Keep up the great work and keep us in the loop on the Ala Kart.

JOHN@ CCC

27. BigRed390

BigRed390

That certainly speaks highly of your skills!

28. Yeah, Those Barris guys were such hacks.......
    Hot rod history is fascinating. This is a pivotal piece of that history. You are indeed a fortunate man to lay hands on it.... Congrats!

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I can remember my excitement when I opened the model box backi in '61 or so...I can't even imagine seeing the real thing arrive!

30. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I know you will do a great job on it. The Merc looked spectacular in the sunlight at Paso (not that it didn't in the shop) and I'm sure the Ala Kart will be no different.
    Good for you. What an honor!