Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Look What The Rain Uncovered

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoolYourJets, Dec 25, 2016.

1. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

We had torrential rain in SoCal 2 nights ago. I found this on my hike (which I do often.). The rain has uncovered this half.
    [​IMG]
    Located in Aliso Creek State Park off Lynx trail, if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. verde742

verde742

Geez, what an imagination....:rolleyes:

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Break out the shovel and the sawzall.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    loudbang, desotot, oldsjoe and 8 others like this.
  4. ..........Torrential rain in Southern California????!!.... I'm skeptical already.:D;)

5. Will that buff out???LOL.Bruce.P.S.but really who could leave a car like that even if it didn't run.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. Southern California is weird. Either dry as a bone and not one cloud in the sky for 10 months strait, or weeks of torrential rain in the winter. Either/or. It never drizzles, never just cloudy. Never just breezy and cool.

Wonder how that Cad got buried like that?

naturalgas and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I agree with you that So Cal is weird. But, after going through water rationing for usage and still locked into one day a week watering schedule, we had almost a week of rain. You guys in the Midwest/East will get the remnants of that one in a few days. We are going to get another one off of the Pacific by the end of this week. (If the wind pattern holds like it usually does, it takes about 4-5 days for our winter storms to hit the Midwest and beyond. So get ready...) Our poor cars will have to endure a week or two of staying ...not so clean...until the sunny days arrive with more than one week between the rainstorms. We do need the water to go underground and stay there for awhile...
    Jnaki
    Ahhh, but clear skies, winter cold winds, snow in the local mountains, and 40 degree temps make it feel like winter in So Cal... Still t-shirt and shorts weather until it really gets cold... ha!
    This morning, it was 35 degrees when I took my little dog outside. Now, that is getting down there...

naturalgas and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. I grew up in New England, then lived in LA for ten years. So Cal is awesome, a magical place, I miss it a lot. So many cool cars and bikes.

But honestly I've never been so cold. None of the places I lived had proper heating systems, so at night it was coooold. Growing up watching Annette and Franky, I just assumed the water at the beach was nice and warm, first time I ran into the ocean my nuts sucked up into body, NOT WARM! I would ride a motorcycle around all day sweating like a pig in the sun, then if I would be riding back through the canyons at night, a bit chilly.

Once I got used to the extreme heat and cold, I did get used to it. In 2001, sold my house in Echoe Park, drove east and never got back.

lothiandon1940 and jnaki like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Clunker,
    Sorry you had a rude awakening in the ocean. It does get cold in the So Cal water, too. You can't stay in the water without a wetsuit or its lights out from the cold. Back in 1961, we decided that the water was too cold, but did not want to look like our friend that had a "beaver tail" wetsuit when surfing. (hinders the image) So, we took a two inexpensive summer wetsuits off the rack and cut them down so just the shorts version fit under out regular bathing suits. Now, no one knew we had on a warm "wetsuit undie" under out regular board shorts. We looked like it was summer, but were very warm down there. The upper body was slightly cold, but paddling fast made it nice.
    I remember the first time we paddled out at Rincon in Santa Barbara's super cold waters. The locals thought we were totally crazy until they asked how we stayed warm. That started a trend that saw more "wetsuit undies" under the board shorts. A few years later, as we got older and stayed in the water longer, we did break down and buy a short wetsuit without a beaver tail to stay warm.
    Jnaki

clunker likes this.
  10. Being in a state park you better start applying for permits.

11. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

ONLY ONE PICTURE?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Just messin' with you folks in So Cal. I have relatives there and I know that the drought and subsequent wildfires you have suffered through are no joke. You have my thoughts and prayers going forward. Hopefully the weather pattern is changing.

lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like it was already a donor before it ended up there. Best left as a novelty to those out walking that trail until some eco freak decides it disturbs the landscape and causes a 10K retrieval to get it out of their "view".

naturalgas likes this.
  14. It could be the Resting place of Jimmy Hoffa..?
    you no he gets around
    he's been seen all over the place.

Just my 3.5 cents

Baron and 30tudor like this.
  15. Being California, it may need to have an enviromental impact study done too. Might be home to some endangered species of insect or rodent and need to be left there until it becomes soil. :D

16. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

It used to be ya' saw cars like this all the time 'resting' in a creek bed or along a river bank....not so common anymore! I actually can't remember when the last time I saw a car in a river bank in the past few years...maybe it's the particular roads I've been on....but I sure don't see them off the side of the roads anymore like I used to.....and DEFINATELY not a Cadillac!o_O:p

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So many collectible cars end up with similar fates. Of course to vintage tin addicts its a bit like finding buried treasure (especially when its a desirable vehicle) even if its to far gone to salvage anything.
    Sometimes you just have to let it go.
    That being said as others have eluded there have been some amazing resurrections from becoming next years new line of cars. I don't think that one will be a project albeit I do enjoy your sharing it with us and even providing a location.
    Being in a relatively dry state makes salvage more justified but still a massive undertaking.
    Probably was just driven there and abandoned as having seen its day as a useful car. Is there a chance it got there in a massive flood same as how it was uncovered to your view?

A couple of pics of something similar...not a Caddy
    but pretty much something to just
    appreciate for what it is and was...

Rusttodust2.jpg

Rusttodust1.jpg

18. Cool picture! My granddad, and a lot of old farmers, would put their old cars, and farm equipment in drainage ditches to help stop erosion. I once saved a 27 T coupe from one. I have found cars in swamps ,that the water had destroyed them. But some of the ones, that were in run off ditches. They were sometimes savable. Ron...

jnaki and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Here is 001.jpg one we dug out of a river bottom.

20. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

When I was 17 in 1977....before I went into the Navy, .....I dug post holes for fence-lines on a ranch in Klamath County, Oregon. I remember coming up over a hill making progress, when a complete 1929 Ford pickup was buried down to the running boards in a 'once a year' run-off creek bed, like it was just drove there 20 years before, parked and ignored. I inquired about, and found the old rancher drove it there, and just never went back and got it! I asked if it was for sale, and he said 'yes'...for $75....and I told him I'd buy it when I finished the job several weeks later....BUT, I had 2 weeks before I went off to boot camp after finishing up the post-hole digging, and never went and got it! I've thought about it for years now....it's long gone now, but still....sometimes those 'creek bed' memories are just hard to swallow sometimes in reflection of vehicles just left and forgotten, and ''some of them'' were in pretty good shape back in the day...just to get rid of them. I just remember so many of them protruding out of the river banks and sitting idle in a creek bed....wish the memories weren't so vivid now, of what they were, and what happened to them all with time.

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I sometimes agree that something like that should be left alone to be seen and enjoyed for what it is but unfortunately if you miss your chance someone else will eventually come along and do something with it, you can only hope that if something like that does disappear that it or its parts will wind up in a better state, not to just be taken away and destroyed completely.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  22. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

You put that one back together Ron? Joe

23. Johnny99

Johnny99

Not uncommon back in the day to use car bodies and other junk as riprap to build up creek and river banks for erosion control. Few of these places left but most are cleaned up. Maybe that Caddy has some friends! Quite awhile ago somebody had a thread going about old car bodies that had been stacked, filled with stones and buried to make retaining walls during railroad construction. Railroad guys liked the 20's and 30's sedans with the cloth tops, just dump the rocks right in!

rip rap.jpg rip rap 2.jpg

Montana1, williebill, Baron and 6 others like this.
  24. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Growing up in that area, I remember kids used to buy old cars for fifty bucks and take them out to the then rural canyons and bash them up and roll them.In the 1940's one old friend of mine liked 32 roadsters, he would steal the cars and bury the unwanted parts on his parents dairy. Those canyons around the old military airfields probably still contain un-exploded ordinance from WW2 target practice bombing runs, or accidental off target drops, so if you find something odd looking don't be hittin it with a hammer.

25. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Isn't the quarter panel trim getting pricey now? Might want to grab it if the bullets missed it.

26. Many years ago, when I was a kid on a farm in Nebraska, one of the neighbors had a '27 T roadster body sitting in a sand wash out in the pasture. Very little rust, doors and trunk lid still worked and pretty straight over all. Fast forward a few years to '73 and while back in the area for a few days I stopped and asked the farmer about the old body sitting out back in the pasture. He just laughed and said that he had buried all that old junk a couple of years earlier when he turned the pasture into a corn field... and complained that he hadn't buried it deep enough as he always snagged the plow on it. Got back there a couple of years too late...

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch...:(

28. mickeyc

mickeyc

Here in Louisiana (New Orleans area) the amount of unwanted,
    broke down or just plain dumped vehicles was not to be believed. This continued
    well into the mid seventies when real estate started to become more valuable
    and empty lots and fields began to be developed. I was involved in short track
    racing and street racing as well. I had a supply of 55 Chevy bodies stashed at
    my Grandfathers cow lot to use to replace the often torn up pieces from
    the track. I kept a mental note of what was where about the area and would
    seldom have to resort to the junk yard for parts. They were just everywhere.
    By the river, behind the rail yards. in every lot or field. It was great fun to head
    out with some friends to gather parts for every ones various automotive wonders!

low budget and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  29. I always thought the beginning of the movie "Deliverance" was neat because it shows cars buried in the river bank. I agree it used to be way more common to see

30. No, gave it to a friend to use for parts for his 34 coupe he was building. I also found the windshield stanchions of a T roadster sticking out of the ground. I dug it up. It was very rough but I still have it. Maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow. Ron...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.