Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what I got! Can you guess what it is?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Left Turn, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Sooo.. a good friend/customer of my dad's came by the shop the other day to drop off a vacume filler he barrowed and dropped this off with it... I know what it is but lets see if y'all can guess.. (hint: special GM tool, the guy tought GM tech classes)... I've only seen pictures of them in manuals and what not.. never actually had one.. but it should be pretty handy.. (it's actually in really nice shape, camera makes it look bad for some reason)

Attached Files:

2. IGOR

IGOR

hydro tool

3. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Something Uncle Fesster used on the Adams Family

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh, it's a GM Hydrotool...(cuz that's what it says on your pic)...

R-

5. Yup, 5th picture of a hydrotool, lets see the other 4!

6. a40lover

a40lover

is it atool to work on GM 3rd members? Ive got a homemade tool that looks a lot like that.

7. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

damn..... the other 4 were IH tractor parts....

k.. so the blue base in the middle mounts to your bench (bolts down)... you take the big 'C' and attach it to a hydro (from looking at 'em any hydromatic type trans, regular ol' hydros, slim jims, 350's, 400's etc) there are places on the tranny case that line up with the 'pins' on the c you crank 'em down lift the whole mess up slide the end into the base and you can rotate the trans to work on it... I thought it was pretty nifty...

Got a really cool GM book on Hydros too but I got excited and took home to read..

8. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

haha... damn...

9. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

whoa you win!

10. chigger

chigger

Makes working on GM trannys a ton easier than working out of a 10 gallon oil drum

11. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I work in the automotive training center at a community college. We have GM training program's (asep and world class) those are still used and there are other brackets that slid into the bench mount for transaxles and I think we even have them for diffs.

12. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

you shouldnt have answerd it so fast . i was going to tell you what it was . for holding 350th and 400th. and being able to flip them up so you can load the front while hanging on the side of the bench.

13. So THAT'S what those bosses are for.

Thought so, never knew for sure.

Cosmo

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------------
    That's gotta' be what it is for sure. I think
    I even saw that episode!:eek::D

Mart3406
    =============================

15. philashmore

philashmore
    from Oshawa

These are GM specialty tools. The blue piece in the centre attaches to either a workbench or an engine stand. The c-shaped piece mounts to the side of an automatic transmission. (mounting points are provided)
    It is configured so that the transmission is hung "pump-end up" for service. The tranny technician in my dealership still uses these.

16. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------
    -----------------
    Hmmm??? Maybe so, but just because
    they're actually GM specialty tranny tools,
    doesn't mean Uncle Fester didn't them as
    torture devices too!! :eek::D:D

Mart3406
    ========================

17. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Amen to that. Nothing worse than assembling a trans in the oil drum and when you are trying to lift the heavy bastard out you find that the drum is stuck on the pan. Man they get heavy quick.

18. Deuces

Deuces

It's a very old 3-4" or........ A 4-5" o.d. micrometer... I don't know what that fuel block looking thing is...

19. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

interesting... I'll have to see if he has anyother brackets laying around... (knowing him he does:rolleyes:) those could come in handy at the shop.. I also got an OT but pretty interesting service manual for Cosworth Vegas from him... and a couple big totes full of literature I haven't gone through yet..

He said when he saw the two Olds Rockets in our shop up on the pallet racking that he knew it was gonna be a good home for his old stuff... (better than the dump where he was gonna take)

I spent a few hours talking to him about my projects, interests etc.. When my dad told him to tell me about his '57 Chevy he has... '57 Bel Air Convertable, (dusk rose/india ivory) all original bought it in the early 60's, If I remember right he said it had a 265... anyways he's had it since about 61 or 62.. Drove it for a while bought a new car and parked it in the garage (covered up).. And about a year ago he pulled it out, got it running washed it and displayed it for his wife and his 50th wedding anniversary.. then put it back in the garage.. He also has a 60's Corvair in the same condition (not sure on model).. Anyways just somethin' I thought I'd share.. He always comes by and drops off different things for me to play with, loves to talk cars.. It usually takes about 3hrs when he comes in for an oil change..

I'll post up some pics of the hydro book and some of the other things soon.. Really interesting stuff..

20. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

that's what i use to keep heads still while i drill in to em with a paddle bit to empty all the grey matter.

mmmm soupy

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i really thought it might , just might be a vintage peter-meter. Wrong again , damn-it man.