Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what I found today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Found this really cool 1958 Impala today. It's in pretty good shape. Should be a quick convert to a nice driver. Needs interior and floors. Has a 4 bolt 350 and a Powerglide. It's located just outside Tontitown Arkansas. Nice guy, give him a call and get that awesome car! He said it was his late father's hotrod. IMG_20190819_184223.jpeg IMG_20190819_184216.jpeg IMG_20190819_184150.jpeg IMG_20190819_184137.jpeg IMG_20190819_184252.jpeg IMG_20190819_184834.jpeg IMG_20190819_184818.jpeg IMG_20190819_184929.jpeg IMG_20190819_184915.jpeg IMG_20190819_184937.jpeg IMG_20190819_185034.jpeg IMG_20190819_184957.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Chrome reverse MAN.... a9f9f97b7611a0afe817c9f0a3570bce.jpg

3. VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jumped right out at me! Surprise...'58 Impala, just...'available'! Price is right...

I remember when the Main had these bumper-to-bumper! Lowered, chrome wheels, pipes...some were 348s, some were fast...So many!

My Mom almost bought one of these...('58, there was a Turboglide on the showroom floor...she hated automatics, they didn't have a 'stick' in stock. She passed)
    More than a few friends had '58 Impalas, some 283s, more 348s; 250 H.P., 280. A few 335s, and there were a couple of Del Reys.
    I was a Ford guy, but secretly 'coveted' the '58s. Bonnevilles too, that roundish body did it for me.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Torkwrench, BigO, Stogy and 3 others like this.

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Nice find.

BigO and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. BigO likes this.
  7. Nice find! One of my all time favourite cars. I hope you enjoy restoring and driving that beauty.
    I was as scared as much as I have ever been in a tri-power 348 powered HT, when the the carbs stuck wide open when my buddy put the hammer to her off a traffic light. His hands were too busy controlling the car and shifting to prevent blowing up the engine, and my other friend in the front seat was able to turn off the ignition.
    I can still remember all of us shouting to get to the ignition.
    Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. I owned one. had a boat anchor 348 tri power. I swapped in a 421 Pontiac mill. made a very fast car. mine was blue and had front coil springs under the rear. jacked up like the American graffiti one in the rear. I never liked the wasp waist frame in the 58 thru 64 cars. with a powerful engine and tracton they twisted the body and jammed the doors. mine had so many rattles it drove you nuts. Many of the 58 thru 64 cars when wrecked where literally wrapped around telephone poles and trees. lots of fatal wrecks. When they got T boned the other car would drive right inside to the center.

chryslerfan55 and BigO like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

$10K for a very complete, buildable '58 Impala is a pretty good deal. Even just to fix what's broke and make a driver out of it, would be hard to do that for any less.

10. I love 58 Impala's! That said I'll tell you how I decide if a project is a good investment. Try to be honest with myself as to what level of Done I want things to get to to make me happy. 10K is a high step for a project that looks to be all there but really still needs Everything. How hard is it going to hit your Wallet and be honest again with yourself. If just building is the fun part maybe the $$$ isn't a big deal but you still need to know where your headed. Now go on line and see what it takes to buy a car done that you would be happy with. I just did that and found several in the 20K market that is typical of well done home builds. I also seen those above the 50K mark that I would have No interest in at all. I can tell you this, fresh upholstery a little (make that very little) body work, a paint job and re Chrome on both bumpers. If your paying out to have these done your spending past another 10K in my town. Do some numbers first then make that final decision. Also, if your past 50 think about the Clock and Calendar. Forever is getting shorter every day.

11. alchemy

alchemy

If it needs floors, it will need rockers too. If it needs rockers it's common to need the bottom edges of the fenders. And all that chrome....

As Pist said, that 10K car is adding up to 20K very fast, and it hasn't even been painted or upholstered.

Take a screwdriver and poke around really well underneath before you buy.

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I always had a soft spot for the 1958 Impala. When I was growing up, my friend one mile down the road from us, our nearest neighbor, had one for his first car. He was 5 years older that me and was mostly responsible for me becoming a hotrodder. We raced that thing all the time,mostly against our shadow or a watch or the speedometer! It had the 348 in it and we put three duces on it. By today’s standards , I guess we were pertty slow...... but we were having fun!
    Lost him several years ago, F- - - - cancer!!!

Bones

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  13. wallyringo

wallyringo

my all time favorite car hands down. great price.

BigO likes this.
  14. This car is in our own classified adds for $23,500.oo. It's a frame off build with a long line of New, New, New, New. You should at least look and then ask yourself if you think you would want to make your project 58 anything close to what's advertised here and if you think you can get there for anything close to $13,500.oo. I don't think you can do it. The real Big Plus is that you could drive this car as soon as you shake hands on the deal.
    [​IMG]

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the original color is right. I always wanted a black 58 Tudor hardtop but 58 Impala two door hardtops of any color got to be in short supply in short order for some reason. I never figure out why as they were never popular for circle track and not all that popular for drag racing but one of the best looking cruisers of al l of them.

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

That's not an Impala. Boggles the mind that GM would make two different two door hardtops for a one year body style.
    Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and timwhit like this.
  17. Exactly @goldmountain if that red car was an impala it would be double the money

I am a Ford guy through and through, but a bucket list car of mine is a 58 Impala coupe. It's one car however, I will probably never own, as I would like to buy a nice original or a restored car. And they are big bucks. That 10K car would be 30K by the time it's a decent looking "driver"

18. The 58 thru 64 chevys all had a wasp waist frame. and they where coil spring rear and very difficult to set up.

19. One of the few times I'm glad I'm broke...:D

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice car nick ,two doors an all.

21. The 58 Impala had a weak rear upper third member that would tear both mounts off the frame crossmember .

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The really weird thing is that in 1958, the Impala was actually part of the Bel-Air model line, so they had two Bel-Air hardtops, the Bel-Air and the Bel-Air Impala with a completely different body. Impala didn't become its own model until the 1959 model year. Chevy did the same thing with the Caprice; in 1965, the Caprice was a 4 dr hdtp option in the Impala model line. Caprice became its own line for the 1966 model year, with 2 dr and 4 dr hdtp and the Caprice Estate wagon.

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 63 We were looking for a newer car. The 55 we were driving was getting very tired. Newly married with a child. Went to Merced and test drove a nice black 58 Impala from Moomjeans car lot on main street. Drove it around a bit and over some RR tacks etc. That thing twisted and rattled worse than anything I had ever driven. Rebuilt the 55-it was a much more solid platform.

24. I never called the Red 58 an Impala. I only stated that I like them in my first comment.
    GM isn't the only car Co. to do that. Ford did it also in there 1959 hardtops. They also made one Body model called both a Fairlane and a Galixie. What's up with that? Notice the Quarter panel and Trunk badges.
    P.S. This car could be yours for less than the Red 58.

P1010161.JPG

25. Better to start with a ten grand tri five chevy two door. Parts are easier to find. and they more often than not hold or increase in value. Always a ready market for a tri five chevy 2 door. 58 chevys where more rust prone than the tri fives. The car posted is a prime example of a vehicle that those who want it cant afford it. And those who can afford it would not have it. Why because its a money pit. Old 58 impalas restored when you are through cost twice as much as new. I owned and drove one in the late 60,s . I know first hand what a POS they where. They where the first year of a design change, different frame. different suspension. The 58 283 was a problematic rear main seal leaker. First year for the two piece driveshaft the carrier bearing gave problems. the driveline vibrated. Real rattle trap heavy on the rattle. My wife liked my 58 impala. She asked why I never fixed it up. I told her it wasn't any dam good. I sold it with the 348 tri power took apart in the trunk to vintage auto salvage for $350. 35 years ago.

26. At least the ford has rear leaf springs and a premeter frame. I drove a 59 Ranchero . 223 six for a couple years. Dependable vehicle. Best heater in any car I ever had. I installe all the front end componets from a 61 ford 352 car and set higher in the front it drove better. Changed the little bitty slipping clutch. installed a y block 11 inch flywheel and clutch. Just wasn't a good car. no room for passengers. and not a good truck no hauling capacity car suspension and useless fragile bed. You couldn't haul a cow or a cord of firewood in it? I just could not see what it was good for? Sold it to a guy in New York.

27. A 5 grand car for 10 grand. At the asking price you'd start out in the hole and just keep digging deeper. I hung up my shovel years ago.

28. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

So what's the guy really want for that $3500 car?

RRanchero Rick and Old wolf like this.
  29. Looks like an excellent parts car for my ragtop. Rule #1 NEVER build/buy a hot rod, custom, or whatever, as an investment. If you do not absolutely love it for what it is then walk on by. Otherwise, it really shouldn't matter what it costs to turn a dream into a reality. When it comes to 58 Chevies, guys either love them or they hate them...doesn't seem to be much middle ground otherwise.

30. Its true that more often than not a vehicle is not a investment. However ive been collecting and hoarding since I was a teen. And I very rarely lose money. The money is made in the purchase. You gotta buy for as little money as possible. As near scrap price as you can. The topic Impala my price would be $750 to $1000. and a $1000 only if the engine and trans is good and I hear it run. My son Zack would tell the seller the only way that heap would be worth Ten Grand is if it was dipped in gold.