Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look What I found on the side of the road

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Stephen Ramage, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Stephen Ramage

Stephen Ramage

Haven't had a street rod since I sold my 1935 Chevy in 2005, Been looking all over North America for "MY" car. Last weekend drove 300++ miles round trip and came home empty handed, and then on Monday afternoon I took a slightly different route home and look what I found on the side of the road.
    Rushed home and got my purchasing agent, she negotiated an acceptable price and after 63 years I have my model A coupe.
    I fell in love with Model A coupes when I was about 12 years old in 1957 and now I have my own.

So that's the back story on me, the back story on the coupe is ........... none existent. The gentleman I bought it from was given it by the previous owned just before he passed away and so ...... no back story or history.

I will post more pics, and description in another post.
    Thanks
    STEVE

Attached Files:

2. Stephen Ramage

Stephen Ramage

So my "new" car is a twenty footer (looks good from 20 feet away. My evaluation is, never restored, never rotted out, sat outside for a considerable period at some time, pretty much "stock" except for wheels and tires, intake and exhaust, and 12 volt alternator. Oh yeah I think the roof has been changed at some point.

The plan, always subject to change, hydraulic brakes (1940 Ford?), T-5 conversion, and drive it. I will add a heater to extend the driving season.

It has a vacuum operated fan, I have never seen or even heard of such a thing.

Oh yeah my chief mechanic Jaxon (5 going on 21) really likes the push button operated exhaust cutout.

Attached Files:

OzMerc39, duecesteve, e1956v and 2 others like this.
  3. Welcome. Great looking Model A. Have fun with it.:)

4. There's quite a bit of non original going on there. For a start, what's with the hood? It has a reveal running through it?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

You should be extremely proud and grateful for having such an amazing thing in your life.
    I am talking about your "purchasing agent".
    The coupe is ok too. :)

dana barlow likes this.
  6. SRAMA

SRAMA
    from windsor on

Long over due up date.
    So we fought with the twin carb set up on this flathead for a couple of weeks and could not get it running.
    In the meantime I bought a 98 S-10 cab and chassis, banger with t-5.
    The decision was made to scrap all the running gear and swap in the 2.2 and T-5.
    The frame rails are cleaned off front to rear. I have decided not to remove the body or fenders.
    The S-10 rear end fits very well.
    I found a 4" droped tube axle with early chevy spindles and GM disc brakes.
    I found a pair of coil overs for the rear.
    Speedway supplied 4 bar set ups for front and rear, the rest of the front suspension pieces and vega steering box.
    I had a really hard time finding 15 inch chevy wheels, but found a set of truspokes for reasonable (for them) price.
    The rear end is all in including all new brakes (came with the s-10 when I bought it).
    The front suspension is all in except the steering, with new brakes.
    The motor and trans are "in position" the steering box mounting plate is welded in and tomorrow I will build motor mounts.
    Still a long way to go but starting to look like it will be a real driver. 2.2L banger, T-5 trans, power brake and power steering to make it seniors suitable.

This COVID thing has really made building a car in CANADA extra hard. The boarder is closed. Have had to be really creative to get parts but its getting there.
    Oh did I mention that the shop we are working out of is for sale and we will have to get out with possibly only 60 days notice.

I am really old ............ so I don't want any computers in my 92 year old ride. So the crank trigger and coil packs are gone, a VW 009 distributer will handle ignition, looks like it may fit in the original GM location, or may have to be belt driven remotely. A carb will replace the throttle body, but I am having problems finding a suitable intake. I have a pair of Solex side draft carbs which could feed the stock intake but I don't really want to use them.

Thanks
    STEVE

7. Stephen, welcome and thanks for sharing with us. Lucky you, my "purchasing agent" has me on double secret probation which prohibits me from even 'looking' until I finish some of the projects I've started.

8. SRAMA

SRAMA
    from windsor on