Register now to get rid of these ads!

LOOK what I found and bought!! Its a HUDSON

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Wow, wooden dash.

2. barry wny

barry wny

I wouldn't even take the steering wheel cover off.

3. I thought about that too...wondering what the wheel is like?? I'll leave it on...Thanks

4. The Hudson LIVES!!...got it running today after 5 years...sounds good. I changed the plugs, points, rotor etc...got good spark and it went off in just 3 revolutions. Now I just have to check out the gas tank which was empty.

This is really a neat car..again, I really never gave Hudsons a look till now...they are really very well built.

Murph

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Kinda like a nice old wind up clock that got its main spring replaced huh?

6. Adam Bahm

Adam Bahm

I like the four door's better, and I can smell the mohair from here. Great find.

7. Adam...your right about the mohair...something about that smell...If we could only put it in a jar...:eek:

8. scratchtown

scratchtown

nice find there is a hudson in my nieghborhood just sitting rotting into the ground kind of a shame old guy wont sell tells me he is gonna restore it cars been there 20 + yrs we are here in the rust belt so by the time he is ready to restore or sell it will be swiss cheese

9. bofusmosby

bofusmosby

Murph

You never mentioned what mileage is showing on the odometer. My guess is it is a low mileage. I saw your listing, but didn't want to ask this there because of the rules.

Jim

10. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

"Step down into your new Hudson." :)

11. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------
    ---------------------
    I like it! Ditto on leaving it as it is
    and just driving it too! That thing
    is gorgeous! Nice find!

Mart3406
    ========================

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Nice ,You just ruined my day ,I cant ever find cool cars like that and in great shape ever........Goodluck with her...

13. Hey John,

You can find one...just drive down to my house...LOL.

Hey Jim,

The mileage as of today is 88,167.

Hey Guys..These are all great comments, but the Hudson is FOR SALE!! Check out my thread..here is the link.

The 1949 Hudson is FOR SALE - THE H.A.M.B.

Sure, I'd like to keep it, but the Coupe comes first. Make an offer? Trades may be considered on a 49-51 Shoebox Ford....I like 54's as well, I am looking for a real daily driver...so what do you have?

Murph

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, VintageAuto! THANKS for the great pix of Doc Hudson here. Sure brings back memories of my '50 Super 6. ARE THE SKIRTS IN THE TRUNK? IMO, they really make the step-downs look perfect in that low-rider way. I like the Hudsons, 'cause they had a look of their OWN, unlike Packard, Mercury, Nash, K-F or Lincoln. The grille could have been more imaginative, but -- hey -- can't have everything!

[​IMG]

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, too, for the sharp-eyed guys who spotted the Commodore wheel. Something just didn't seems right to my eye, but then, mine was a '50, so I couldn't put my finger on it. As good as the exterior is, your INTERIOR is to die for. The dash was my favorite area, but the WHOLE interior was well finished, the simulated wood trim was elegantly done, and the seats were some of the most comfortable I ever rode in -- even had a broad fold-down arm rest. This gen and model Hudson was SMOOTH, quiet-running, yet fairly powerful with its 262-CID. An acquaintance compared his to any Caddy, and I doubt that was too much of a stretch, really.

[​IMG]

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I wasn't fond of the vacuum wipers, but they were okay. BTW, double-action brakes for safety. Plus I liked the lever for the e-brake, but I always preferred that to a foot pedal, Just me. Your bumpers look to be in GREAT shape! Wow on that. And the glass, too. Honestly, I don't think anybody has intentionally kept Hudsons a "secret." Once the make was marked for death, like others, people shied away from them, for the most part. Like DeSotos, poorer folks who just needed reliable transportation mostly drove them until they were worn out, then put them out to pasture or junked them. That's my take, but forgive the generalizations there, okay? Important thing: Not that many Hudsons survived, so when they turn up in good shape, lots of people are surprised at their qualities!

[​IMG]

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Rich is right about the fluid-cushioned clutch. Hudson had that literally for decades, and they worked very well. As I recall, they recommended changing the "Hudsonite" every few thousand miles for long clutch life. Hudson guys can tell you what goes together, so you can make your own clutch oil, though I've heard them say the stuff is still concocted specifically for this application.

[​IMG]

It appears you have the FULL owner's manual, too, and that has the how-to info. I seem to recall it's a fairly straight-forward procedure you could probably do when changing your oil. There's a drain/fill plug accessible when you remove the dust shield. Remove plug and rotate the wheel to "down" to drain old oil; rotate up somewhat to refill with amount of Hudsonite the manual will tell you. I wish I could remember the precise details, but my Super 6 was sold to pay my last quarter's tuition in 1973. Anyway, your owner's manual will have the whole procedure.

THANKS AGAIN for the photo-review of this still-fine car, man!

[​IMG]

18. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

19. Outstanding car

Seriously consider leaving it as is; you can only be original once...

trakrodstr

20. You guys have the knowledge on these cars. Still, I'm going to sell it so spread the word. I'm a Ford guy at heart and would like to find a 49-51 Shoebox for a daily driver...maybe a 54??

Hudson's in this shape can bring good $$. I think my asking price is fair considering the originality....Thanks for the comments.

Murph

21. Runt Rodder

Runt Rodder
    from Virginia

22. bofusmosby

bofusmosby

Tell you what. If I hit the lottery tonight, you'll be getting a PM from me. GREAT looking car!

23. noxided

noxided

Is Doc!!! You know form cars, i just watched it about an hour ago.

24. KOOL! ...good luck with that. Trades welcome...

25. If I would/could keep it..that's exactly what I would do. Just get it totally roadworthy and have fun.

26. Sweet score! My pops had one of those for a short time when I was growing up, loved going for cruises in it.

27. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

pretty cool man!

28. Hi All,

I have the Hudson up for sale....any offers? Trades?

Murph

29. bofusmosby

bofusmosby

I wish I could afford it. This damn economy has hit me like it has for most people. I'm STILL playing the lottery.:D

30. Sure is a nice car. Unfortunately, I already have 2 and don't need another. ha ha.