Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Look but don't touch"....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cmarcus, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. at our back to the fifties event here in minn they ask , plead and expect familes to be included..elders ,teens kids ,toddlers , strollers.. what i have noticed is the dads for the most part take off leaving the "family"to wander or sit in a spot,street corner ,walkway , isle ... trying to keep the little ones wrangled ... they are more exited about the food or the carnival crap than the cars and the patience of the " babysitters" is worn very thin...
    the touching,climbing and bad behavior is rampant
    the overheard cell phone conversations "where are you?.. the kids need to go pee! ....i have seen families sitting by the spectator lots just waiting for the whole day cuz they are unable to afford entry for all..

yup its areally big show 10,000+ but if you are not really interested stay away..

2. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Ask the wannabe pin-up who rested her hand on some hot headers:D:D:D Sooooo funny, never seen a big girl run so fast.

Hahahaahahahaha .....and you said us UK guys had a way with words.....hahahahahahahaha

100% True story. Back in the 90's i was as much into bikes as cars and used to drink in what was mostly a bikers pub. At the time i rode a mono-shocked Z900 with a big bore, tuned motor and it always drew a crowd.
    Thing with this pub it was also the occasional local meet for the HA (Hells Angels). After being inside the pub for a while i went outside to see one of the HA sitting on my bike :eek::eek::eek:
    There's no just him , there's half the god damn chapter. Now as it goes the guy sitting on my bike is one of my brothers mates, Tim. I've known him since i was a kid, almost another big brother. He'd helped me out with the bike and sat on it more times than i care to think about so no issue with him being on it.
    I'm hanging in the doorway getting stink eye off a few HA so i made my move. Walked up behind the Tim and said really loud "I don't give a fuck how many of your brothers are here fella, if you don't get off my bike right now i'm going to kick your ass!". Within seconds 2 or 3 of them we're well within striking distance and Tim turns around seeing me and gave a smile. He went along with the role play and we started to have words and "seem" to be kicking off with eachother. The rest of the chapter kind of surrounded us and just when it looks like i'm about to get my ass seriously stompted upon, he jumps of the bike, shakes my hand and we both piss ourselves laughing. Rest of the club were WTF is going on and Tim explained it was just me being a dickhead. Later Tim told me to never do that again, like seriously DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN!!! You came very close to severe pain.

I think that was the same night i met a girl called Dirty Sally but that's not something Ryan would appreciate.

All good fun:cool:

3. Lild

Lild

I was at a show last weekend and watched some dumb ass looking over somebodies car open the drivers door to look at the interior.:eek: Dude wasnt a judge and was probably lucky the owner wasnt there to give him a well deserved ass beating

4. 1990's:

Drove my 62 Vette with newly chromed bumpers ($450) and new top fender chrome ($160 each) to a Vette swap meet in Puyallup WA. There's a guarded parking lot just for Vettes. I come out of the show and there's two mid-20's guys sitting on it. One on each fender with their feet on the bumpers.

I walk up to the bigger of the two guys on the passenger fender and say "wow, what a nice car". He says "Yea, I've got a lot of work in it"

I slapped the fucker so hard in the right ear it knocked him to the ground. His buddy took off running. The guy on the ground asks "what was that for"

Told him "because you're a liar, my car isn't you're easy chair and I hope you learned something."

He apologized but I didn't.

5. Need clarification. Check today's post #70 in Friday Art Show. Is this OK?

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

While i agree with your general sentiments, could we please stop using the term "jap?"

Anyways, while i think that touching a stranger's car is something you just don't do, i think maybe we need signs; New auto shows don't help---they WANT you to touch and get in. This may help propagate confusion. And, i admit that if a see a new car on display in a mall---which clearly does not belong to any one individual (though it does belong to a dealership) i am tempted to touch and open doors etc.

Has anyone thought of "roping off" the area---similar to using what you would see at the movie theaters?

7. Geez!

8. How about a sign "Touching, three cars down. Thank you"

9. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I have three cars that I regularly take to car shows and cruise ins. I have encountered all the touchers described by everyone else. Since I live in Florida, there is usually some dealer car show every weekend in a shopping center somewhere. I think some of the unwashed masses that look at those new cars think the local cruise-in is just another chance to climb all over some more cars they can't and never will be able to afford. By the way, I HATE the touchers!!

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And you now take your teeth out for a good brushing every night. At least that's the way it would be if in fact you had ever done what you have made up from your imagination into a story that sounds funny but is in fact pure fantasy.

11. Very similiar to what I said...only nicer....but WTF I aint very nice sometimes...

12. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

My parents raised my sister and I to respect other's property be it house, car...anything and keep your hands to yourself. I've raised my kids the same way and they know how to behave at car shows. I'm amazed at the things I see kids and adults doing.

I watched two kids get in the back of a fixed up station wagon at one show and start having a pillow fight with the pillows in the back of the wagon. Mind you they had to open the tailgate to get in also. The owner yelled at them and told them to get out. The father comes over and says "Don't yell at my kids they didn't hurt anything." He was ready to fight. Until he turned around and saw that alot of us at the show had surrounded him. The kids had touched and gotten in some other cars evidently. We chased his whole family off of the lot. People just think everything belongs to them.

Those kinds of people have never had a car that they worked hard on enough to have someone appreciate it.

13. Don't be silly! You would have just had to go " Honey Badger" on their funky asses! Honey Badger don't give a shit how many there are!

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

It's out in public and the millions of object touching zombies are attracted like moths to a light bulb.To them ,your car is just like their minivan ,only older and more dangerous.Same mentality makes people stick their arms through the bars of the tiger cage display at the zoo.

Only way to not have people touch is to leave it at home or behind glass like the original Constitution or Mona Lisa.

15. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I had a guy wearing a chain off his wallet lean on the fender of my '64 Falcon at the Fabulous Fords Show at Knott's Berry Farm one year. It made a clunking sound when it hit my fender!

I just stared at the chain until he got the hint and moved his fat ass off of it. I continued to stare at him in disgust until he left. What a bozo.

16. JMel

JMel

LOL...my brother is a Boozefighter, and I've had the same situation once or twice. Happen to run into him - sneak up behind him and shove him hard in the back - or throw a quick choke hold on him. Makes his bretheran bow up a bit, but they quickly deflate when they see his reaction. He's my older brother, but I outweigh him by a good 60+ lbs, and am at least 4 inches taller than him...he could still kick my ass though - and I'm sure his buddies could and would with a smile on their face too.

Thats going to get me in trouble one of these days.

I once was going to meet him at a local biker hangout - I found his bike before i found him - had a bunch of his club members around it, and I thought about just hopping on the bike to see what would happen, but chose not too since he wasn't anywhere in eyesight to save my ass from getting beaten.

I keep hoping i'm going to run into him while he's riding so I can flip him off and start yelling trash out the window at him to have the same kind of fun.

17. Tooooo Funny! Oh and I wonder if Sally was Erics friend....Laydown Sally....hahaha...

18. lurking luddite

lurking luddite

I like to respect others property but one time being really guilty of touching a car.
    A friend and I were at a car show in SW Ontario and a storm blew in real fast, on the way back to the truck we walked through the show field and there was a real nice Chevelle convertible with the top down. We stood there until the rain started one on each side. When no one showed up to put the roof up and close the windows we did. He had owned one and new where the top button was under the dash. We got soaked getting to our truck and saw two guys run up look around in disbelief. We just left without saying anything to them.
    It was a show and flea market with alot of HAMB type enthusiasts. So someone on this board may know the owner of the grey Chevelle at Waterdown.
    It was water down for a few minutes.lol

19. Signs? No jap?Propagate? rope off? WTF have you been smokin pin head? If yer offended and don't like what yer readin,go get a copy of fuckin Better Homes and Gardens fuzz nuts!

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

BREAKING NEWS!! FNG alienates 99% of HAMB members! Film at 11!...oh wait, I guess thats not really news around here, is it?

21. Fenders

Fenders

Yes they EVENTUALLY did that.... If people don't respect the Mona Lisa, why would they respect our cars?

"One of the most interesting things about the Mona Lisa is its tumultuous past. In 1911, it was stolen from the Louvre. The entire world thought that the painting was gone forever. It was finally recovered two years later. It has been a popular target for vandals ever since. In 1956, someone severely damaged the Mona Lisa by tossing acid o­n the bottom portion of it, and another man chipped some of the paint off when he threw a rock at it. In 1974, a woman tried to ruin it with a can of red spray paint. It was incidents like these that prompted the French Government to place it behind bulletproof glass........."

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

I know that.

What I dont get, is why the people you talk about would leave their house and go see a bunch of objects they think so little off.

But it is the reallity, and the reason why at least one of my cars wont be in any carshows.
    ( it will go to the track to do what it was built for, and after that its going straight home )

Too bad for the people who are capable of respecting other peoples posessions, and who would have gotten a kick out of seeing it...

23. Fenders

Fenders

Back here in the day it was Suck'em Silly Sally.....

24. Mike W.

Mike W.

I've had some flexible signs for a couple decades and even use them once in a while but I found tying my wolf hybrid to the car did better.;)

Even worse than people just 'touching' my wheels is when some idiot parks next to me and hits my car in the process or some sow opening the door into mine multiple times to let the litter out. I once had a '57 Chev that I had put a lot of work into as it was my therapy car when I got back to the States, so at a show I parked off the paved lot all the way out in the far corner of a dirt field and yes there was one other next to me when I returned hours later that had hit my door.:mad:

25. Scumdog

Scumdog

A bit of truth there.

A mate of mine had his extra tidy, chopped and glossy red F100 at a display a few years ago.

I walked past it to see came back to see two young punks sitting in it, never seen them before in my life, I walked up to the drivers window and the conversation went like this...

Me "Hey, wow, cool truck, do you know who owns it?

Punks "Nah man, don't have a clue who owns it"

Me "Well I suggest you find out quick-smart - 'cos when he finds you two in his truck he'll rip both your arms off and jam them up your stupid arses in he blink of an eye"

Two punks exit at high speed...:D

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, my ex-old lady would have kicked all THREE of thier asses without breaking a sweat!

Originally Posted by George G [​IMG]
    For those you getting bent out of shape about touching. In the end, it's just a f ing car. A consumable item.

And while everyone has an opinion, this is by far the DUMBEST thing I've ever read on a forum where people are supposed to have a passion for old cars. Just... dumb.

27. EXCUSE ME?! WTF does a show's name have to do with keeping one's paws off someone else's property? Just because the show isn't titled "Concours Big Money Car Snob Show And Shine" doesn't make it ok for your yard rats to to use it as a jungle gym.

Roger.................. YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

29. I'm with you too. There's no reason to touch other people stuff without permission. When my grandpa has his '33 ford 3w people would tap there knuckle on his fenders to see if it was steel or fiberglass!! WTF!? He had a 20k house of Kolor candy brand wine paint job and some jackass is bangin on it? Not cool

30. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Some years ago, I had to run an errand at the local large shopping mall. In the courtyard, a number of 30's era, Pebble Beach quality cars were on display. I stopped to look at a beautifully restored '35 Packard convertible. Standing in front of me were a couple of blowhards and one was giving the other the "they don't make 'em like they used to" speech while banging the hell out of the fender with his big cheesy ring. Without thinking, I blurted out "hey, this paint job cost more than your fucking house!!" Blowhard #1 must have thought that I was the owner as he turned red, mumbled "sorry" and scuttled off like a cockroach when the lights go on. I felt like I put a small deposit in the Good Karma bank that day.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.