Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look at the COE I found......'51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas4blood, Apr 25, 2006.

1. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Here's some pics of a '51 Chevy COE I can get if I want it. What's it worth? It has a fresh built engine and trans, in but not running. New wiring harness in a box, new tires, the usual rust, etc. Not beat up, but needs the tinworm damage fixed. I don't have a clue what it's worth. He want's to trade, says it's worth $1,500. It is missing the updraft carb and harmonic balancer. Probably a few other things too. Glass is all cracked. No wood in bed floor. What do ya think?

The wife hates it, says it is ugly. She also hates '49 Mercs. Oh well, she lets me mess with old stuff....she's a good 'un even if she doesn't always have the same tastes I do.

Attached Files:

2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Why does it have an updraft carb, or not. Chevy gave those up in the 30s.
    $1500 is a steal. People are nuts over COEs right now. I always have been. That looks like a good one.

3. way cool...I would cruise it! :)

4. My friend has a '48 (could be off a year or two on it), looks the same, missing a door, 5-window cab, he wants $1500 for. Has been sitting in his back field for at least 5 years. So if it's close to running for $1500 its not a bad deal. Because these sit so high, they tend not to rot quite so badly.

5. tomslik

tomslik

otherwise, the carb and your right nut would occupy the same space.
    all gm coe's had updrafts until at least early 55

6. patrick87

patrick87
    from brenham tx

I would love to have a 47-54 chevy coe, I think they are so cool.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I've got a '78 Chevy 1 ton dually with a 454 that would love to have a cool cabover body on it like this. Looks like it's in pretty decent shape too. Offer him $1000 and see what happens.

8. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

If you like this one, and the body is all there, I wouldn't spend a lot of time quibling over the price. On the other hand a basically complete and running stock COE isn't worth a lot of cash.

On the yahoo Old COE's list there was a recent thread about what people had paid for their trucks. Many of them paid less than $1,000 and I know one guy who paid only $100 for his COE.

I've been shopping for an AD COE cab for a while. What I'd really like is a rust free cab with out the frame or running gear. I've found a couple of real nice ones priced under $1,000. I think having the rest of the truck to deal with detracts from the value.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you cant find a updraft carb I might be able to get you one as a local junkyard has about 3 cabovers,I also seen those carbs in bread trucks too. Jeff

10. Those things are so cool! I think i found a 39 or 40 ford cab over the other day in a junkyard. I'll get the pics up tomorrow.

11. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I looked at it some more, it has new brake lines, a new master cylinder in the box, and I'm guessing the brakes may have been done already. Everything is stock. Any idea how fast a stocker can run down the road? My stock '37 Chevy firetruck is not fast at all.

12. tomslik

tomslik

roughly about 45.....
    depends on gearing and if it has a 2spd rear...
    my 47 ran over 80 a few times but that's a whole 'nuter story;)

13. The cab on that truck looks pretty good.

I bought my 1947 GMC COE complete, but with some rust issues for $795.00 in Racine, WI last year. I didn't have a great chassis, so I am putting the cab on a 1983 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton chassis this week. Getting parts for brakes, suspension, etc. will be much easier that way.

The COE you are looking at is a good deal if you are keeping the chassis. You could probably get just the body for a bit less money.

14. bcarlson

bcarlson

Sweet. I'd take it for around a grand... my neighbor has one and I'm envious.

Ben

15. raven

raven

KCMongo just got one in similar shape, but not as many new things.
    I don't think he paid over $500 for it.
    r

16. guiseart

guiseart

Yep... in Kansas, farmers are still running them. My house is on one of the incoming roads from the wheat feilds to the grain elevators, hundreds of them going by night/day during harvest, some even older than that one. I'd buy it if you got use for it blood.

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I am looking for a 38-47 Ford Coe.

Copperbobber, please post that pic when you get a chance.

18. 38pickup

38pickup

COE's are badass! That one looks real nice...

19. Quick mess about.......

Attached Files:

20. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

That's SUPER clean. They look the best simple and clean. I had a 63 stubby......gave a grand for it.

I'd snatch it up for 1500.

21. The Caretaker

The Caretaker

Put it on a dually chassis and cruise it.

22. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Talk to Earl Scheib. Maybe he will sell you the one he hasnt even picked up yet. Its ALL there

23. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

get it while there cheap.....I got mine 2 1/2 yrs ago running 95% complete w/an original all wheel drive pretty rust free for 2300.00 and I got a deal. 1500.00 is a good price if all the core COE pieces are there and not a lot of rust to contend with. My wife also hats this truck....god I love that truck!!

24. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

i Bought My 47 (same Body Style) For 1500 As Well. Was Actually Sold In 1947 Out Of Beaudry Chevrolet, To Az Dps, And Is In My Hands Now Soon To Be The Hot Rod Tow Truck For Our Custom Shop ( That Ironically Is The Old Beaudry Chevrolet!!!)

i Have A 1 Ton Dually Chassis With Ifs That Will Get Bags And A 24 Valve Cummins Turbo Diesel To Go In It. Should Haul Some Major Ass. It Will Be At The Round-up Next Year With My 39 Lasalle On The Back!

25. rainh8r

rainh8r

The big trucks are pretty cheap, esp when compared to the pickups and cars. i've been doing them for a long time and usually get trucks like that, without all the new parts, for under $750. If the truck has solid sheet metal and you want to run the stock stuff in it, the price is OK. Lots of pickup parts will fit the cab and they are pretty easy to work on. Top speed is only about 50, downhill, without an auxillary trans or high-range 2 speed. Have fun.

26. Do the cabs flip forward...? anyone got a pic with the top off?

M

27. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Hey, Mai, that is cool! So.....where do I find the 20" chrome steelies and www 9.00x20 tires?:D

Thanks for the photoshop work, it makes me want the truck more.

Me....:)
    Wife....:eek:

28. Um..yes the fronts did end up a tad large.....um...that bit's up to you????
    Maybe original wheels with filled holes and chromed...?

(I'm grasping at straws here!)

Cheeers

Maiki

29. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

No, they aren't like the stub nosed diesel trucks you are thinking of.
    If you open the hood, the engine is reachable.....but the back half is reached thru a dog house *think lump behind the floor shifter on the floor*. You unbolt it and service the engine.

It's cab OVER the engine sugar pops.;)

30. Yeah I just had a proper look.....oops.

Sorry I wasn't drinking so I was underperforming in the thinking department.