Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Long Term Storage of Engine Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Was wondering what you guys do if you're wanting to store fresh engine parts?

Would like to build a fairly hot engine for my T. Pick up a block here, rods there, cam ther, heads, etc just to need final machining and assembly. Also give the block and heads a chance to heat cycle some and be "seasoned".

Had some old service rifles that were coated in cosmoline, not a spec of rust after 70+ years so that'd be my first choice but If I'm not mistaken you can't get cosmoline anymore. Just rubbing stuff down with 15w40 or whatever doesn't do much good.

Also, how do you guys store cranks? I set them on the flange and they sit vertical but after one fell on a family member's foot when I asked them to retrieve something for me, I got rid of my extras and just laid down the one I kept that is probably not worth fixing anyhow.

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had good luck with LPS line of products. Comes in three types. I use all three depending on the part and how long I think it may be stored. As to the cranks, either stand them on the flange, or hand them by the flange.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I don't worry about special storage until the machine work is done. Then, parts are sprayed with a Liquid Wrench ass'y oil we discovered that preserves the metal. Wrap in clear plastic & box 'em up with a few dryer sheets, & shove 'em under the bed.

Just Gary likes this.
  4. Crankshafts can be stored bu welding steel rings to bolts and hung by the hub ends. Or at least stood up on the flange & supported this way.
    Guess the SBCs I buried in the yard around 1982 are fully seasoned by now.

mad mikey likes this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I stored all my new parts in my 327 about 30 years ago when I assembled it.
    Now I'm hesitant to start it without reapplying the camshaft break-in lube.

mad mikey likes this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

55 gallon drums full of waste oil.
    Stand up cranks and heads and anything else in them.
    Engine blocks fit as well. Slide them in and then tip the barrel up and add oil.
    The oil prevents rust.
    If your worried about them being a mess to clean later....then maybe you need to wear a skirt. ;)

alanp561 and indestructableforce like this.
  7. Doh! Can't believe I didn't think to just stick everything in a drum. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Drums are easy to come by. End up with plenty waste oil anyhow and when I put the engine together someone will want the oil for their shop heater. Could use some old wood scraps to protect crank from getting beat up. Thanks! Best of all it's probably the cheapest solution.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gibbs, and a rag, in a cool dry place.

I have stored bare metal parts for years, with an annual wipe down.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That's why we are in this together. Hamb and hambers rule.

indestructableforce likes this.
  10. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Don't do what I did when I was young: clean up and degrease all the parts with solvent, then box them up and store in a damp shed.