Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Long term engine storage.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sweet & Low, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Hey guy's.
    I have a new engine that was recently completely rebuilt but it will be a year or so before it can be installed. Look for advise on how often I should be turning it over by hand. Shall I squirt a little high zinc oil down each cylinder? I was advised to use ATF. And or?

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Was it run on the engine stand?

Bones

3. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

How did it get assembled? Did the builder coat the rings and cylinders beforehand?

4. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine was rebuilt and assembled in 1998 and first run last summer with good success. The guy I bought it from put Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and turned it over by hand periodically and stored it cleanly in his garage. I took the oil pan, intake manifold, and heads off for some inspection and to make a cam change before reassembling and starting it. The cylinder walls looked like it was recently bored, there was still assembly lube on the valve train, and everything looked great when I took it apart. I added more assembly lube to the valve train while I was at it and pre-lubed the engine by spinning the oil pump with a shaft on a 1/2 inch drill before we fired it.

I suggest that a year isn’t that long. You could oil the cylinders and turn it over a few times and maybe loosen the rocker arms before storage if you want. I’d pre-lube it before firing too; you should be able to get oil to the rockers on both sides doing that. Maybe the builder prepped it already.

Desoto291Hemi and neilswheels like this.

5. spanners

spanners

Just don't put oil in the cylinders, replace the sparkplugs and hit the starter. I think it's called the hydraulic effect. My blunder was expensive.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent point there. I'd say a few squirts of Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and turn it over by hand with the plugs out every few months should be plenty.

7. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Make sure you turn it over, don't ask how i know..

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I noticed you said you added a new cam. When you start it, be sure you follow cam breakin procedures.Also, hopefully you didn't reuse the "new but now old" lifters that were already in the engine.
    New Cam means new lifters unless its a roller cam.

9. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never fired, solid lifters, so I did re-use the lifters. Cam break in as one would hope.

10. blazedogs

blazedogs

Marvel mystery oil All that is used at the gun range doesn't dissipate

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. Here is what not to do...I just bought a rebuilt 283 that sat in an open barn for 30 years with nothing covering the exhaust ports and no one ever turning it over. It was actually in better shape than I expected considering what the outside looked like. But, it also appears they oiled it all down good when assembling. I’m just glad no one did try to turn it over at least after the mud dobbers built their nest in #5 cylinder.

FDC5C48B-0EB3-421A-8F4E-C50BCE6E05FE.jpeg DBED1FAC-AF84-42B9-88A4-1FB6C30A232A.jpeg 6F5FE914-F498-4926-8236-EEFFD935324E.jpeg 99F0581D-FE89-4ADE-8560-E1A955F564AA.jpeg