Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long-lost ’32 Ford was drag-racing star

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 13, 2012.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Me too.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Hahaha, good one, Fred. :D That deuce didn't want to end up the way it did, it deserves a better fate than being a neglected, rust covered junker. What use is it the way it is ? It can't really be driven and enjoyed, all he can do is trailer it to shows and display it. :(

But I think someone earlier made a valid guess..........this one will end up on Ebay for big money. Hopefully the next owner treats this great old car the way she deserves to be treated. Maybe it might even get a chance to run down the 1/4 mile again....hope hope hope.

Don

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

Wow, that's freakin' great. In studying some of the details, I see a S/W "Master" gauge panel, S/W Wings gauges, including the speedo (is it a 100mph job?) & a Sun "football" tach with the sender mounted on the firewall. I'm not sure if the seat is aircraft, though. Anyone spot anything else interesting?

5. When parked in 54 it didn't look like that. It was a nice looking finished race car. Leaving it as is just shows what neglect can do. I don't get it.

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Cool beyond words.

7. shoebox50

shoebox50

8. Thanks for sharing, I hope it stays just like that, not every old car has to through a half million dollar resto.

9. In this present day, this is what we all strive for (in my opinion). Thanks for sharing this, and thanks for the great pics that also tell the story.;)

10. Thanks for posting this article. I went to the link and kept getting kicked off because of time. The site may have been too busy.

11. Thats a sweet car, I love the alcohol flatty,. I dont understand keeping it all fucked though, thats not preserving its history its preserving the bull shit that has happened to it over the years.

Not saying it needs a hundred thousand dollar resto, just put back to its former glory.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is so Awesome!!!!!!

13. Squablow

Squablow

I'm nearly 100% sure that the seat in that car is a '37 Chevy 2 door sedan jump seat with the upholstery and spring box taken off. My '55 Chevy straight axle car had the exact same seat.

Neat car, interesting story.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, I was just thinking about my comments, and if that is a Sun "football" tach, it would had to have been added later (after '54), since I believe it would be at least six or so years before Sun made that model. My first inclination was that the red "football" oval faded to white. And maybe that isn't a sender on the firewall. Very mysterious.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Now this is a really sweet find.Whatever is done to it.
    Don.RE:Color photos.The color process was being experimented with back in the early to mid `30`s IIRC.Check out the combat footage from WW2 from the UAAAF and the Navy/Marines.Color footage also available from the ground war.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. redroaddog

redroaddog

wow they are still out there! cool find now bring it back to its race day glory. my 2 cents:D what ever you do i'am glad you rescued it ....Dave

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i also think it needs to be restored to original race condition. i would love to own it. dam kool find.

18. josh highley

josh highley

another vote for restoring it back to race day form. Awesome story!

19. Lucky_mtl

Lucky_mtl
    from Montreal

amazing! i would keep it as is. there are enough shiny 32s. if you want a shiny new one clone it!! (my 2 cents)

20. christmas tree

christmas tree

The first ATAA world series was held at Lawrenceville Il. however it is 220 miles S. of Chicago.The track was the WW2 airstrip known as George Field. They still have a annuel car show and runs on the old strip.

21. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

man o man, what a super cool find and the story to boot..

22. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Awesome story!...cool car!....... that means they are still out there!.....I would restore it to it's drag racing days!....

23. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i know mister robbins, and your definatly wrong
    also the old man who had it surely wasent keeping it for any history he was obviously just not interested in doing anything with it and it would have eventually ended up on the market anyway after he passed,too many of these preciouse pieces of history are rotting away because people change and prioritys change ,, now its in the limelight and will be somewhere people can enoy it for years to come,,, i applaud mister robbins for doing what he s doing

24. couverkid

couverkid

That is such a cool car. THanks for sharing.

25. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! This thing SCREAMS COOL!

Don't change anything! Just restore it without changing gaps etc.
    Paint it $h!- brown with white rails and firewall again.

(in my dreams i find stuff like this!)

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Amazing car and so lucky to find a unchanged old hot rod.
    But I gotta say
    This entire patina preservation thing has gotten out of control. Sure I can understand trying to save the look of how you found it … there’s few things that equal the thrill of the find when you first see it.
    But at some point your just being lazy using the preservation excuse for not getting off your butt and putting it back how it was.

27. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Sweet ! killer car .

28. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Wow!!.....What a find!.....that car is super bad ass.......However The new owner is in a pickle, because he has to decide what to do with it. because of the documented history of this car he can never make it his own, It will always be Francis Fortman and Kenny Kerr's old race car. If he changes it, People is going to hate him, If he doesn't change it, People is going to hate him. If he does nothing with it, He will hate himself!.......

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Dave50

Dave50

Well said and its all truth

Its a cool car! what a find, truly amazing.
    IMO I would get it running fix the safety stuff etc and try to keep it as original as possible. Fix only what needs fixing but thats just me. As i was told with my car,sit back and think about what you are going to do. Once its changed its changed and cant be put back, but its his car he can do what he wants.

30. Neat ol deuce with a cool history. Bring it back to its former glory. If you keep it like this it will eventually just rust away to nothing.

I just never understood the ... "dont do anything to it, just drive it like it is" comments people post when a barn/garage/field find car is posted.

I feel sorry for those cars. I think a shiny car is a happy car. =)

volvobrynk likes this.