Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Long gone marketing terms for automotive gimmicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

POS-A-TRACTION TORQUE TWISTER tires

Dyna Flow, Cherry Bomb mufflers

bchctybob likes this.
  2. Don't be in a rush, run a Dyno-flush. Had one in my 29 roadster with a 364 Nailhead, drop it in low, run it up to 65, drop it in drive and you're makin' pretty good time.

3. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

What about Goodyear BlueStreak tires and Traction Masters

4. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

Roothawg likes this.
  5. BJR

BJR

The 49 Buick had Jetstream Ventiports in the front fenders.

Roothawg likes this.
  6. 1-fatboy

1-fatboy
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Roothawg likes this.
  7. jaracer

jaracer

Hudson Twin H Power
    Chrysler Forward Look
    Buick Dual Compound Carburetor
    Holley Dual Concentric Carburetor
    Motorola Vibrasonic Sound
    Top Engine Oiler
    Chrysler Poly Spheric combustion chambers

Roothawg likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

9. Wow, I completely forgot about Purple Hornies! I haven’t thought of those in years. Thanks, Denny!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, but those are much smaller diameter than the ones we had in the 70's, they also have restricted them down tighter than my prostate.

Roothawg and bchctybob like this.
  12. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

I know I'm taking life skill tips from the right crowd of fellas when y'all mix prostate jokes with performance-parts advice..

Roothawg and chevy57dude like this.
  13. jroberts

jroberts

Studebaker pickups from 1960-64 were called Champs

Roothawg likes this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

How about Chevrolet cars in the 30s-50s, stylemaster , Master, Master Deluxe, Fleetmaster, Fleetline, Special Deluxe , Fleetline Aerosedan.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-26_5-18-8.png

Hello,

We all know about oil additives, good or bad. The most popular ones were Wynn’s Friction Proofing and STP. There were others as to which camp was more popular, Bardahl comes to mind. But, for advertising purposes, there were a lot of off brand companies to draw in the crowd with less costs for almost the same product. “NOTHING LIKE IT!”

We used name brand, Wynns Friction Proofing and STP for our stock and modified motors. A free case of both helped make our decision. But, in talking with racers at Lions Dragstrip, weekly, they, too used one or the other, in their motors. Could we do without them in our modified motors? Probably. Did we? No, as the general consensus of top engine builders were using the same products, so it must be good. Did they use the products as a promotion for the companies? That remains to be seen.

We tore apart the original 283 SBC from months of racing and the several times, cruising around. The motor was spotless with no burns, marks or lots of wear. The internals were sold as we had to get new “blower” modified parts in the next 292 SBC build. So, the oil additive must have worked on the powerful motor when we were racing weekly. STP... yes, Wynn's Friction Proofing... yes...
    Pist-N-Lube? WHAAAT???

Jnaki

But when reading the local Drag News Weekly paper, advertisements do hit the spot with their come-ons and catchy slogans. The less brand name companies did not have the top racers in the ads, as it would have to be a paid sponsorship. So, a catchy slogan was the hope that someone would buy the oil additive over the name brands we all see everywhere.

“NOTHING LIKE IT!” (with a misspelled letter/word, the product may give a different connotation…)

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Buick, late 40s
    Vibra-Shielded Ride, Quadruflex Coil Springs, Flex-Fit Oil Rings, Road-Rite Balance (whatever that was), and Duomatic Spark Advance.

17. loboymusic

loboymusic

Will I have to move the perches on my new 51 merc-o-matic rear end to fit on my 50 merc?

18. Ford Police Interceptor.

19. I have no clue. Never worked on a Merc. Try making a new thread post about this. I'm sure someone on the boards will know

20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-4-30_5-45-50.png upload_2020-4-30_5-46-1.png upload_2020-4-30_5-46-46.png

"CHECK THIS OUT"

Hello,

In plenty of magazines and local drag racing newspapers, there was always a pop up ad for some club or organization that had a cool name. (California Speed and Sport Club.) Those organizations played on the temptation of the come-on advertisement, the “club” membership stuff, and the promise to save up to 50%. (The key being save up to 50%.) The membership of $2.00 being the 2020 equivalent of almost $18.00 to join.

We found out later in our college business/economics classes that it does take several people to join in order for any company to make back the original cost of advertising and products. Like in any business, discounts can be given from 1% up to 50%. But the eye catching slogan of “save up to 50%” brings in droves to such a deal. (THINKING: HALF OFF OF PRODUCTS could mean one item at 50% satisfying the advertisement. It happened then and it still goes on now to unsuspecting buyers.)

Jnaki

The address was within a 6 minute drive to George Cerny’ Shop in Compton, CA back then. So, association in the vicinity of other So Cal shops might give credibility to any shady company. No, we did not join as we had never heard of that club or anything they did for the hot rod/drag race community, like sponsor a drag race or car show, etc.