Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long builds..staying true to original plans.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Most people, if not all, have a strong image in their head of what their final build will look and drive like, before they even start.
    Some people will start accumulating parts for that build, at the start of the build.
    They know several things that will be used in the build, such as:
    Engine/trans combo. paint colors, interior choices, chop top or no chop, tire wheel choice, custom, Hot Rod, etc. you get the idea.
    Some where along the long build (we're talking a few years into several years), they decided the original idea, just wasn't the direction they now want to go.
    How many out there, have changed gears in the long process of the build..and how extreme were the changes?

2. classic gary

classic gary

i went from a "handling" '56 chevy to a Gasser '56 chevy then back to just a street/daily in 2 years. lots of waisted money there. Now it's a '28 sport coupe, hmm..........

3. After a long 9 years and 1 month to the day the only thing that really change on the "Ranch Wagon" was the original idea of just get it running and driving and not spend too much money,,:rolleyes:

Both of those ideas went out the window but after I decide within a few days what I was going to do everything turned out as planed. HRP

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's going on 40 years for the '32 5w and the vision that I had for it back then is exactly the same as what I intended it to look like except now I'll have a couple of different tire/wheel combinations to change the look whenever the mood changes.

Frank

5. daddio211

daddio211

I'm a meticulous planner. I know every detail before I begin. I'm also on a budget so changing plans mid-build is not an option. I think this is why so many builds go way over time and budget with so many left over parts.

Changing things mid-build costs big time!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

recently while parts hunting for my "new" driver '54 Ford Coupe, met an older gent that had bought a '54 hard top from a few States away. thought it was going to be a basic driver project, no such luck. had more problems than he expected. now plan is a custom with a updated front clip and drive train. he did mention that he hopes that he lives to be 125 to finally get the project done - Ha!