Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long bed vs. short bed, '57 Chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello!

I've been looking at several '57 Chevy trucks, all 1/2 ton. I found several 3100s, which have I believe a 6 foot bed, and several 3200s, which have a 7 foot (or so, maybe 7' 6") bed.

What the opinion of a short bed vs. long bed in terms of value and desirability?

My goal is to build a resto-rod, something with an original body, suspension and interior, with an upgraded drivetrain and brakes.

I don't mind the slightly longer bed of the 3200 at all...I think it actually looks a little more in proportion to the rest of the body, but it seems like the short bed 3100s are the hot number with builders.

If anyone out there was looking to buy a similar half ton truck, would a 1ft longer bed be a deal breaker, or make the truck significantly less desirable?

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants?

Chris

2. badshifter

badshifter

The vast majority wants short beds. BUT, some really want a long bed. Value has nothing to do with it unless you plan to build and sell, in which case it's a matter of how much money you lose, not how much you'll make.

3. If you want to haul lumber the long bed is more desirable. If you want to cruise the short bed has always been considered more stylish. Not likely than anyone that wants to haul lumber is going to buy a '57 Chevy.

4. 1320/150

1320/150

5. belair

belair

short-for the above reasons.

6. Long beds are for farmers.

7. If you find a really clean long bed, for the right price, take it. You can always cut it down to short bed status!

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Short by a mile. Very limited market for people really 'looking' for long bed. Some may 'settle' for a long bed, but most prefer the shorts.

9. squirrel

squirrel

heh....I guess I'm the only one? But I got a one ton, and shortened the frame to fit an 8 foot bed.

And I've had my 59 long bed truck for 35 years.

If you want to haul lumber, the 58-59 32 series trucks have an 8' bed

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Smooth side long beds look good but any stepside long bed is UGLY and all long bed 57 Chevy trucks are stepside.

11. DrJ

DrJ

I agree with that completely.

I think the short beds wth the big cab pickups look like bullhead catfish, but the resale market says otherwise, so if you are going to wear it out yourself get what YOU like.
    If you are likely to get bored with it and flip it in a short time, start with what sells easier and for more.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, every single one.

[​IMG]

13. Squirrel
    I do like a '58/9 slab side. They are just a good looking truck. Well all except for yours. ;)

maybe a '57 with a '58 slab side bed wouldn't look so bad.

14. Short is more desireable. long are trucks, shorts can be hot rods

15. slammed

slammed

If the long bed is the nicest, cleanest of the lot it would be easier to refurbish. The short bed have the sportier look to them, regardless if its stock to heavy custom/Pro Street. Lets see some of them you have in mind.

16. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

17. squirrel

squirrel

That's a nice truck. Like they say, short beds are much more popular, so don't expect to sink a bunch of money into and get rich off it. But if you want one to fix up slowly and enjoy, that's a good one to start with.

btw the original primer was red on the cab, and black on the front end and bed. My 59 looked like that when I stripped it.

18. I could certainly live with that one myself, but I never plan on making any money on anything.

19. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I know its a generation early, but long beds can be cool too ;)

[​IMG]

I personaly think either truck would be cool and good looking. There will always be someone to buy it when you want to sell, either way.

My truck on the other hand, is a confused "medium bed" that the previous owner tried to shorten a long bed into a short bed, and didnt take quite enough out :rolleyes:

20. short beds are for looks only...long beds are true workhorse trucks....I wish my 1956 Dodge 1/2 ton had a long bed.....it's a daily driver because of a 77 camaro subframe, a 77 mopar 318 w/727 torqueflite automatic, a 3:23 sure grip rear, 67 caddy tilt/telescopic steering column.....I use it to haul all kinds of things from complete engines to logs and branches....I could never imagine ever NOT having a pickup truck....mine just happens to be vintage.

21. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Just to qualify my post, this truck will be a keeper. I had a very solid, almost rust free '59 Apache 3/4 ton longbed that was a very reliable truck, original V8 to boot. I realized, though, that if I was going to spend a bunch 'o money making a resto-rod, I wanted something that would be my #1 choice, and that, for me, is the '57.

I'm still on the fence about the 7' bed vs. the 6' bed. I posted earlier about a '57 shortbed that I found, but the guy wants to damn much for it.

Last thing I'm finding is that everyone is switching these damn trucks to automatics...if it ain't got 3 pedals, it ain't no hot rod, as far as I'm concerned.

Chris

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That is not factory original. Fleetsides were not available in 1957. First year for fleetside was 1958 which was also the last year for Cameos. So as I said all 57 Chevy truck long beds are stepsides.

23. servi53

servi53

I don't know about anybody else, but I dig my 56 longbed that I recently bought for a carpenter's work truck, daily driver

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      114.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      136.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      128.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      112.7 KB
      Views:
  24. squirrel

squirrel

I know it's not original, I built it. And it is a 57 Chevy truck, and it is a longbed, and it is not a stepside.

Modifications are allowed, if you don't like how things came from the factory.

25. badshifter

badshifter

That's crazy talk! You can't change things....... By the way, I'm closing my typewriter shop. Need any Selectric parts?

26. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

27. I will GLADLY accept anyone's long OR short bed that they're disappointed with- seems like every one I go look at is either made of gold or close to being reclaimed by nature :)

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A friend of mine gave me a straight '55 Chev stepside, it was special-ordered for the Navy; had USN stencilled on bumpers, inside hood, and on the bed sides. Truck was original Navy gray, and had a 12 foot long bed!
    Wheelbase was also long, truck looked like a cartoon. Ugly? Oh yeah... I didn't take it.
    (235 '6', granny 4 speed, and 3 driveshafts with supports.)

I never looked to see if the frame was stretched, my pal said it was a factory special order.
    The bed looked like a gennie, just twice as long!

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

My preference = shortbed. To me, longbed = WRONGbed. lol. j/k. I just prefer the looks of a shortbed.