Register now to get rid of these ads!

** Long Beach Motorama Sept. 23-26 **

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zephyr3789, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Bad Bob was there?

I thought he broadcast out of Mexico?

2. stroupedesign

stroupedesign
    from Tustin, CA

Yes, bad bob was there! At one point I found myself getting a striping lesson from Tom Kelly and Barris walks up to say hello. I'm standing there between two lengends and all I could think was "where's bob and his camera".

3. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Thank you for that comment. That was what I was trying to say, but couldn't get the words out right.

I was hoping that Trace would read my comment and take it into consideration. It's very hard to put on any type of show and any comments good or bad should always be welcome.

4. I do not get it... His car was parked on the outside of the show?? did it have to do with his car taking a dump on the cruise... did they just push it back? I would at least think they would have pushed it into the show grounds?

5. MilesM

MilesM

I got to meet Bad Bob also! Ha Ha

6. xavierz66

xavierz66

Does anyone know who won best in show?

7. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

I believe Rick Dore won with a blue Cadillac Roadster. Nice car.

8. PENNY

PENNY

Hey i agree about the guys complaining , what happened to the days when you went to a show and drove your car ,you just didn't walk in as a spectator, you suported the show , it was the best kustom car show that anyones seen in many a year, trace and riun did an outstanding job, sure we make a few mistakes ,i've been doing a show for 29 yrs and shit happens sometimes ,but we learn and thats important

i noticed not much support from many clubs , to bad , boy did they miss out ,now they have to look at photos on the hamb[not that i'm saying its a bad thing]but???
    You guys out there ,you need to support these indoor shows , these promoters put in a lot of hard work. Money and time for us to enjoy them
    but maybe your the kind of guys that just take your car to the local cruise nites , don't want you put to many miles on it huh? Oh. Sounds like fun, same cars -same people . I'm not understanding but then i'm not a guy.
    I don't know why i got on my soap box but anyone that knows me already knows that's me
    another reason you don't see me on the hamb

9. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

I'm glad you had something to say, Penny... I didn't introduce myself, but it was fun getting in that little bidding war with you over Tom Kelly's M2 cars.

10. John Denich

John Denich

All great points! Penny you need to come on here more often!

John!

11. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

Oh no NOT you "sargeant" Penny :) xoxo

12. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

My car normally goes everywhere with me. Local stuff and beyond. I have plenty of "beauty marks" and road rash on it. I didn't take it to this show 'cause my dad wanted to take it out, and well since he built it with me (in the way he used to build them back in the day) then he can use it.

There were other reasons, more personal, to not take my car and those are better left unsaid. Those who know me know them. That's all who needs to.

I'm not on here much as well, it seems like I make a comment and it gets one lined to death all the time. But I felt the need to comment to hopefully make it a better show. Will I go next year, possibly who knows what will happen in the next year.

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Gentlemen, I'm an "outsider" to customs. I race for fun and seldom go to shows but have seen enough over the years to make comparisons (and I can't help admiring well done work of any sort). Trace asked me to bring my toy for outside window dressing or I likely wouldn't even have been there (not knocking it, just not my thing).

Still, I have to tell y'all that this was easily the best custom get together I've seen in well over 50 years of the hobby. The cars were incredible but my main reason is that it was dedicated to the custom, period. It was for folks to see, smell, and enjoy the art itself ........ and the artists as well. I have damn seldom seen such a single minded effort in any hobby, let alone a single facet of one.

It suffered the predictable fortunes of new endeavors of course. Not wished for, but likely not entirely unexpected by Trace.
    Gentlemen, I've been in on starting several new things. Hell, we hauled our car (in a newly promoted class on the left coast) to a full year's ANRA meets before we were even allowed on the strip, so I'm reasonably conversant with the trials of a new venue (even if in that alone).

This show will now be told and retold for a year, and must not fold. The second one will no longer be a question mark in folks minds, it'll be a known quantity. It'll be one you'll regret having missed the first time, the historic time, the beginning. It'll be up there with say, the opening of Irwindale for instance (and for another one I know).

I may not be a customizer but gentlemen, I was there for this one.

14. Don's 55

Don's 55

Good point John!
    Thank you and to the other owners.
    You all worked hard and spend a lot of dough to put together a nice ride.
    Then, spent even more to put it on display for us to enjoy.
    Also to Trace, everything looked first class and well thought out. The white curtains for a back drop is a nice touch.
    I got trapped at work all weekend and certainly wanted to be there to see all the great cars.
    This show was epic, and I missed out.
    At least can enjoy some great pics here on the hamb.

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Thanks you for these words!! I spoke John D' Agustino and he told me that hes been to THOUSANDS of shows and was completely blown away with how the show was put together... and I have to agree with the people that didn't make to the first one would of
    wished they did.. I'm honored to have been a part of this show for the past 3 months and that I got to bring my car and be on the floor.. I'll be telling this story to my grand kids in 40 years..

16. 1955fairlane

1955fairlane

I completely agree with you Penny! I really think it was a GREAT show for it being it's first year. Yes, a few hiccups, but nothing major. I feel this show has the potential of turning into something really big with lot's of support from true Kustom car lovers. Definitely, gives me more motivation to finish my car & enter it next year. I'm really looking forward to this show & more shows like this in the future. :D

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im not sure that could be any good.
    I think the best part of this show was the fact that there were justa a handful (so to speak) of cars but all beautiful...well except the golden olds and the "woody zeph" ....instead of a billion thousands customs and hot rods like ventura and billetproof, just to name a couple.
    Quality over quantity. I think it should be left as is, a smallish show for the real enthusists.
    maybe less the 2 streetrods next year could be even better, if that is even possible.
    Awesome job to the organizers, might be a good excuse to move my ass on that side of the globe next year!:cool:

18. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

I have to aggree with Penny as well. I drove over 2000 miles(in a my daily driver 95 Grand Am) from Minnesota and I think Trace did a Great job putting it all together. I loved seeing all those Kustoms and Hot Rods together. It looked like something out of the smaller magazines from the 50's.

Moriarity likes this.
  19. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

We just rolled back into the shop after leaving Long Beach on Sun. night and i have to admit , i was really impressed by the show , quality of cars , and hospitality of the people. Trace and crew did an amazing job, and when the show promoter takes the time out to thank you for coming and supporting the show that means alot! We were so glad to be a part of it and hope to make it next year with another project to debut. If anyone missed this show, make it a point to make it next year.

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

We were stoked to have you guys and everyone that made the trek for Texas!!!

Thanks for bring out the wagon it really an awesome car!!!

See you guys next year!!

21. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

The Motorama was an absolutely fantastic show. I read a post where they didn't go to the Motorama because the parking lot looked empty. Boy did you ever miss out!!!!!!
    Because we came from Arizona we hit the LB Motorama/Cruise on Friday and did Cruisin for a Cure on Saturday. For us it was car show heaven!! Boy, were we tired when we came back home.
    The LB Motorama was by far the better show. Cruisin for a Cure had more cars but ----- Quality vs. Quantity.
    You guys in Southern California do not realize how lucky you are to have great car shows like this. Don't be so critical and just support these shows.
    We would die for shows like this in Arizona.

22. 1955fairlane

1955fairlane

Yes, & we forget that along with the cool car shows, we also have the perfect weather for it! I definitely do not take it for granted. But you're right...a lot of people here in So Cal forget how lucky we are, so they just complain over nothing. :rolleyes:

I was VERY pleased with the Motorama & can't wait for the next one! :D

23. kustomkat50

kustomkat50

This was an amazing show! We made the drive out from Albuquerque, NM. Well worth it!
    All the ads promoting this thing did not disappoint!
    Thanks to all involved.

24. RDR

RDR

X2.....what with the drive down from Oregon,blah,blah,blah..etc.....Best indoor show since EARLY 60s LATE 50s Portland Roadster Show for me and I'd still be willing to throw in some cash to Trace to help out on the low spectator turnout if anyones passing the hat!!!
    Thanx to Trace and all for a job well done! :cool:

25. Flyinlow

Flyinlow

The show was amazing and like you say, it was a quality event. If you were not there you missed out on history in the making. I look forward to next year and hope to see many old and new faces! Seth

26. Mark B

Mark B
    from SO-CAL