Register now to get rid of these ads!

** Long Beach Motorama Sept. 23-26 **

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zephyr3789, Jul 21, 2010.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Looks like the showcase went well for a first time event and i'm personally happy for everyone involved. No large event is a simple process so hats off to you guys. Rit, i'm glad Riche's car was on display and that you and "Mom" got to see it again.
    Take care, Axle

2. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

I would rather see 200 awesome cars then 3475 street rods anyday! I'm not knocking Crusin' for a Cure. The show is for a great cause and I'm sure when Trace confirmed the date he was unaware of it's magnitude. I doubt they will have conflicting dates next year.

I could see customs coming to this show from all over the nation in the years to come! There is so much room for this show to grow and there is the square footage to do so. So let's help it explode and stop shooting it down!

I still love Santa Maria, but this the best show since Paso. We need to support it to keep it alive!...

3. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I went Saturday, the inside was awesome (and nice & cool!) really liked all the Kustoms and how they were approachable, you could go and look in them that was cool, also all the memrobilia and the wall and hands of fame was bitchen.

The outside was neat with the cars surrounding the water, I think (hope) next year will be full with Kustoms as there was room, there were a few out there that maybe were out of place.

I also liked how the vendors were lined around the outside and I am sure that will only grow with even more vendors next year.

I think next year you will see a ton more kustoms coming from other parts of the country, I love the fact that we have so much car stuff going on here and now theres even one more GOOD event, awesome ....

My hats off to Trace and all involved nice job, I'll be back.

4. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

this show cant be compared to santa maria or any outdoor show..this show was like no other..yes, the attendance was low, but the cars in the arena and outside is what its all about..there were a couple of cars in the arena that i thought should've been outside and vice versa, but what do I know...if you missed it, dont next year...I will be there next year hopefully with a kustom and a hot rod...thanks Trace, Riun,and all the others that put this show together..

5. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I wasn't at the show and wish I could have made it, I would much rather see the small number of very noteworhty cars , then a whole bunch of stuff that was less quality. I love the feel of this show , and hope it captures the same next year. Trace did a wonderfull job of selecting the most important cars, people in the kustom world, and the guys that are just into cars , won't understand the impact this show carries, kinda the cream of the crop, best of the best, and honest car builders. I have been looking for a show like this for a long time, way to go to all involved,I love the curtains, layout, salt under thecars and lack of ropes. those who know, know!!! thanks for posting pics for those of us who couldn't be there. jeff

6. Perhaps the fact that Cruisin' for a Cure was the same time drew a more focused crowd. We had the choice of both events and the true custom enthusiasts came to Motorama. More than a few went to both. I hope that because the custom fans made it, it becomes the "Must Do" event it has the potential to be. I was very happy to be there. Sore back, and all...

The only complaint I heard was the walk-in price of $17. With parking, two people spent $44. I heard that a lot. I'd suggest offering some sorts of discount tickets.

Anyway, thanks, Riun, Trace, Piero and all the old car club guys who made this special.

What a year for the Custom! Between the Beatnik Blowout and the Motorama Showcase of Kustoms, we were treated to two inaugural events that will only get better. Life is good.

7. Karrera

Karrera

You whiners on the west coast are spoiled rotten - do you have any idea how special this event looks to us on the Eastern side of the country? I'd have paid $25 (or more) just to see the cars on display on the inside - and to see the legends of the hobby who were there. What a fabulous event - well done to the organizers and those who participated. I'd love to have a DVD (except it would drive us crazy over here to see what we're missing).

Great show - we need more pictures for us deprived east coast guys!!!

8. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I would have to agree with everyone that this show could turn out to be the "Must Attend" of the year. Some of the coolest Kustoms all gathered in one place and open for all to see.

It sure would be nice to see the price of tickets and or parking come down a bit, at $44.00 for a couple to get in and park is a little rough.

9. Mark B

Mark B
    from SO-CAL

A good start to a hopefully great event in the future. Thanx to all involved for the hard work.

I thought the entrance shoulda been through the glass doors on the other side of the arena at the builders/history showcase. That's where the shock and awe woulda grab people. Seems more like a grand entrance where you could have one or two kustoms outside as a teaser?

No shirts or posters for the first time is somewhat understandable given the economy. Put the money into the show. They can always print up limited edition inaugural shirts and sell 'em online or at next years gig.

Also some kind of brochure mapping the layout of the floor and outside would be nice for those of us who are dumb-dumbs.

Just some input from a spectator.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  10. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

This show was nothing short of phenomenal! From the moment Trace pulled back the black curtains and “presented” the 2010 Motorama on Friday morning, I knew it was going to be something special! The red carpet and white curtains gave the show a very elegant feel. Walking into that sea of shining chrome, pearl and candy paint almost made it feel surreal and overwhelming… something only a true custom nut could understand. I’ve probably seen 90% of the cars that were there before at various other shows, but to see them in this setting… this atmosphere, was truly mind-blowing. Paying tribute to the Renegades and other clubs from the past was just pure class.

Attached Files:

11. 53chevy

53chevy

I truly loved this show. The vibe was perfect. The security and those involved were the best = no problems. I would gladdy pay $30, which I did this year, again next. Those other shows in SoCal are yesterday news for me and seem to be more concerned about the $$$$. This show has so much potential. A nice grass park area to park and stretch your legs, a Killer indoor car show and walking distance of downtown Long Beach with some great food (i.e. Yard House and BBQ Dave's). This will be the only show I'm really looking forward to next year. Finally, a genuine CAR Show in SoCal!!!!!!!!! A day well spent.....

I'm most diffently down for a DVD, sucks they didn't have a program. I guess too many changes and couldn't get it to the printers (my only gripe, really!!!)

Ken

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  12. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

True, but it was also free passes versus $44.00 for two. A discount might have helped a bit.

Not that this show won't take off. But in this economy, the savings help.

13. John Denich

John Denich

Well I guess you got what you paid for HUH.....and whats with the gripe about the prices! it cost me over $500.00 to show my car!

14. 53chevy

53chevy

It was a double edge sword kinda a deal too. Because of low crowds, but it did seem flowing none the less, made it more intimate. Can't say that about any other show here in SoCal. Now I'm stoked to get back working on '40 Mercury and take it to the Drive-in and be with Customs................Hot Rods are OK too (Hahaha), at least Coupes.

Ken

15. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I have to agree with 53Chevy. It was more like a relaxing art show then a hustle, bustle, car shows we usually get. Lot of open space to stroll, or stand around and chat with friends.
    The venue was tops too! Lots of open-air, well it's an arena.
    Sit-down restaurants in just a five minute walk. SOOOO much better then Pamona --20 degrees cooler too.

16. last year we had the runway rumble at the Proud Bird at LAX (trace/keen ent.)

at that time i thought that that was the BEST show i'd ever been to....

Until Now.

Trace doesn't do things like everyone else. he has a different sense of style. this show was CLASSY. the inside show was PHENOMENAL!!!! well laid out, beautifully lit. you could go up in the stands and look down on the cars. you could literally see them from ALL angles. the historical room was superb.

i didnt spend too much time outside because i was working inside, but c'mon.... tables and chairs with umbrellas, sofas dotting the landscape, GOOD food vendors, a nice vendors row, GREAT music all weekend, old hot rod movies on the big screen at night, and a stunning setting to spend the afternoon.

i had wristbands but i paid for a bunch of people to come in and i thought $17 was a BARGAIN. 5 bucks for teenagers, kids free.... not bad.

the crowd was pretty much all grown-ups. not a big jacket crowd scene or a bunch of cholo-billys making a ruckus. everybody seemed really cool, laid back and positive.

this is ALREADY on my agenda for next year and so is the AUTORAMA coming up in 2012. i'll probably put the car in the SOK for Ink n Iron next year too.

Great Job to EVERYONE involved.

17. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I could not afford to come out and be a spectator..........sure wish I could have made it.

I sure hope Trace can keep this new tradition alive. It is hard to do shows......people dont realize how much time and energy they take.

I was at the Relix CC show by Kalamazoo MI and people were talking about it there.

Perhaps next year I can head out there and check it out - til then we will have to wait for the DVD!

Curious of the price point...........will it be the same price as the Mad Fab DVDs?

18. MilesM

MilesM

Glad to see a smile on your faces. I saw tears from multiple peolple! That made the effort worth it.

I had two cars inside that I brought from AZ and thought Trace did a great job on this show. I am sure spectator turn out will be bigger next year. I hope to make it again next year.

19. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Nobody said anything about the light, or the lights installed at the arena.
    Everybody I talked to that's into photography, said the light was just 1000% better than GNRS for example, it looked awesome.

It was funny, when we cleaned our cars on set-up day with regular house lights on, and we thought we were done, ready to have some beers, than the "real" show lights got turned on, we all looked at each other saying "fuck", we got to do better than that.

20. chip chipman

chip chipman

Drove in from Sacramento. Great show, OUTSTANDING cars. LOOOONG haul, but well worth it, Will be back next year.

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I agree with all of the above. The indoor part was great; just a little tweaking and it'll be perfect. The drapes were a mixed blessing: it looked like 1952, but it was easy to miss big sections of the show floor. The cars out on the perimeter of the floor needed more light.

The outdoor show felt like an afterthought. Difficult to get info about it before the show. Entry fee for outdoors should have included one guest; it didn't.

Many thanks to Trace and others involved in the production; I hope to be back next year.

22. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

2010 Showcase of Kustoms put on a hell of a show! When I first walked into the main room on Friday morning it took me back to the Oakland Roadster Show era...Seeing the trophy and all the great Kustoms....The wall of "Legends" simply took my breath away...My father was honored this year being one of them and seeing those plaques, the old pictures, newspaper articles, club photos.....well, Trace and his crew worked their asses off to put their stamp on something and to bring back the old feel of how shows were....I thought there were some truly magnificient cars there. Vendors were great. I overheard a group of "old women" talking mad shit......"there should be more cars, vendors, beer booths...even the pin ups were a hot mess..." I smiled and interrupted them and asked where their cars were? None of which had entered their car in the show and were in on "free tix" I told those 4 men to have a great day and enjoy the show! With many new things...there are little qwirks to be worked out. The outside and inside "didn't flow easily" that was my only concern especially if you were toting a stroller ... No big deal if that was the worst of it. I would have liked the attendance to have been more because I know everyone involved worked their asses off promoting the show. We met Trace 2 Santa Maria's ago and we were "sold" on making the trip from Nor Cal to So Cal! I know that Trace and his crew will continue to put something GREAT on for years to come....I personally loved the whole vibe of the show. Many people came out to support and I'm happy to say that the De Rosa's were there supporting this show! We had fun catching up with friends, Penny & my dad sat at the table and joked around all day long...Nice to see them both smiling and having fun with the memories....People need to quit making negative comparisons and need to realize that everything & everyone has their own DNA.....Let's respect and give props out ~~ They are business folk and probably took note on every detail that has already been touched on.I walked the show with my father and he was amazed with all the great paint, fab, chops...He didn't make it outside but took a look from afar...He loved the Gambino chop especially. Pinkies car "Old Barris feel", 54 Hard top Caddy was gorgeous...many many more as he watched them roll into the show Saturday morning.

23. X2

hopefully trace could get some car guys to park us outside because the dude working the grass had no clue on what they were doing.

24. John Denich

John Denich

Wasn't that Bad Bobs job.......

25. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

This show was awesome! The cars in the show arena were excellent and almost all were traditional with the exception of a handfull... maybe five or six. I went friday and I was impressed by the layout of the show, the displays, and this venue was super cool to say the least! I went back Saturday and there were even more quality cars parked outside and I had a blast just hanging out with some friends in the huge grass area by the lake. One of the original renegades, (the one who's jacket was on display from 1948) came over to my buddies car and we talked to him for half an hour or so.
    I will be looking forward to this one next year for sure!

26. photofink

photofink

That overhead spot lighting was great ! But I should have waited to get pics cause I got all my pics in the regular set-up lighting. Then I saw the real lighting with side spotlights and everything, and tried to go back and get more but I was too dehydrated and tired from climbing stairs...didnt even need a tripod though when the real lights came on.

27. stroupedesign

stroupedesign
    from Tustin, CA

I thought the show was awesome! Amazing cars, cool people, beautiful setting! A bit hot outside... whew! I was inside striping all weekend so the air-conditioning was niiiiice!

I hope this show returns. It was obvious that a lot of cash was put into this event. And on that note it was brought to my attention that the auctioneer was paid, up front, a considerable amount of cash, plus 10% of the sales, to do his job. It kinda pissed me off to think that we were there busting our asses just to be lining his pockets. Based on what was generated (sales of panels) I would say he made more than what was donated to the charity. Sucks in my opinion! So if anyone knows a pro auctioneer that is willing to donate his time next year, lets get him on board.

28. Pro Auctioner!!! BS, I will do it for Free.... Well cover my entrance and Lunch....

29. I didn't see bad bob anywhere.
    your car looks really good man!

30. John Denich

John Denich

HAHA I was just busting Bob's balls....Thanks Miguel!