Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Long Beach Model T club swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRE48V-8, Jul 18, 2018.

1. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

55th Long Beach Model T swap meet Los Al. race track 8-1&2-09 001 (2).jpg 55th Long Beach Model T swap meet Los Al. race track 8-1&2-09 001 (58).jpg

...just a 'heads up' to fellow "H.A.M.B.'ers" in & around So. Cal. who may not be aware...one of the longest running, if not the longest running annual parts swap meets for hot rodders & restorers is happening this Sat., July 21, 2018 at Veterans Stadium in Long Beach, CA...It's the 64th annual Long Beach Model T Ford Club's part swap meet....Those who attended back in the 1960's and early 1970's may remember when it was held inside the "Hamilton Bowl" run-off basin next to Long Beach City college off of Pacific Coast Highway and Gaviota Ave., just East of Alamitos Ave....Have great memories of attending with my brother, dad and his friends and Early Times club members as a 4 year old in the early 70's, swapping at night under the lights....I'll be there swapping this year for the first time in a couple of years in support of a long running tradition and the hobby at large....Anyone interested in checking it out (particularly for 'banger stuff) as a spectator or swapper can touch base w/Jeff Hood (562-597-5936) who's the L.B. Model T Ford club liason/manager/main contact for the swap meet this year and prior years as well. He's great to work with and truly enthusiastic about keeping this event going for future generations to enjoy and keep the hobby healthy and vital. The location address is "Long Beach City College, Veterans Memorial Stadium, 5000 Lew Davis St.,Long Beach, CA 90808. It's north of the I-405, south of the 91-fwy. and West of the I-605 (appx. 2 miles in each direction). You never know what you're going to see or find, but if you've never been and have the time to check it out, I'd stop by (especially if you've got an affinity for TROG or the RPM Nats.). See you there! PRE48V-8\:^]

Irish Mike likes this.
  2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got it on the calendar. Hope that the thunderstorm we had early this am doesn't return on Saturday.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've attended twice now, so not a regular by any means.
    I can say it is not a huge swap meet when compared with others, but it is pretty darn good with a great mixture of decent parts, cars and items of interest.
    It is well organised and the natives are friendly.
    Well worth a visit if you are in the locality.

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey P,
    Wow, Hamilton Bowl? We haven't been there for ages. We did go to one of the Model T Club meets there before we went to visit my mom on the Westside many years ago. Those guys were what we called the "hardcore" Model T car enthusiasts. Back then, we went to all things "swap," just because, sometimes, you never know what you will find. There was little to no price gouging at those meets.

The Hamilton Bowl's huge, lower grass area was used for sports activities of all kinds when we were in Elementary/Jr. HS. But, one of our favorite HS car "reflections" windows (a huge row of bay windows running along the store front from block to block) was just across the street at the old Carl's Furniture store...now gone.

One of the girls we knew in HS took us by there. Her father owned the store and was one of the oldest stores in Long Beach in the 60s. The LBCC satellite campus was not as big back then, but stood out prominently on 101 PCH just across the street and next to Hamilton Bowl.

Jnaki
    The LBCC Vets stadium also brings back memories (HS football games) as well as other swap meets in the big lot. This Model T Club swap should be a good one.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sure to take pics & post here

7. Sure it’s smaller, but it’s concentrated.....look forward to it every year.

8. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Is it just T stuff or A and other stuff

9. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

....you'll find early Ford V-8 parts (1932-48), Model A and of course, Model T Ford parts at this meet. I've seen other stuff, too, like collectables & 'automobilia' (usually original, not repo.) signs, new bulbs, ignition parts (6 & 12 volt), etc. Sellers have shown up with restored midgets & parts (V-8 60 engines, quick changes, etc.), and early OHV engines as well (saw a 283 SBC w/an old 4-71 w/4-groove V-belt pulley drive topped w/dual quad. carbs.) and lots of other antique type parts & paraphernalia. Plus quite a few stock and modified Model T Fords up, running (and rolling) on all 'fours'.....PRE48V-8\:^]

jnaki likes this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was there last year I bought a nice wide five hubcap - driver quality IFRC for 5 bucks. Lots of non Model T stuff. Like others have said not huge but worth the drive and with free parking and only 5 bucks to get in its even better.

11. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Cool ill head on down

12. :eek::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    I'm so so angry, I cannot be there....:(