Register now to get rid of these ads!

london trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, May 8, 2008.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

OK, This is the shortest notice EVER. We [my wife and I] are going to London England for 5 days. She {god bless her} has our tour pretty well planned out. What has entered my slightly overwhelmed mind ------is what can I see of the London Hot Rod scene on absolutely NO notice IN the middle of NEXT week!! OK, class you have your assignment-----What have you got!!
    billrinaldi

2. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

3. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

PM Limey Steve here on the HAMB. He is from merry old England and knows a few "blokes" over there. Ill bet he has a few ideas.

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I'd say, forget the Hot Rod scene etc, all together when you are there. Check out stuff, that is culturally significant. England is great and there is sooooooooo much cool shit to see there.
    We have the cars, they have everything else.

BTW: I'm not saying there arent any Hot Rods etc, there are (and really good ones too), but focus on some stuff you cant get in the US.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Take a drive up the road about an hour-hour&half to Duxford Imperial War Museum...flying warbirds! Incredible.

But the Ace has lots of stuff going on...check their website for a calendar.

6. When will we get to drip coffee on the photo albums ?
    Have a great trip and hope to see you soon.

Oh almost forgot .
    You must check out the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. This is as good as it gets for English automotive history. Check out the link.

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

7. GeeRam

GeeRam

Middle of THIS week you would have been bang on schedule for the Execuitioners Spring Riot at the Ace Cafe......:(

Middle of next week......err.........nope, can't think of anything.

8. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

There's rods and customs at Beaulieu at the moment I think http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/motormuseum/introduction.cfm

Can't think of anything on during the week.

Sunday 11th there's a rod run at Drayton Manor which is North of London and you'll have to drive there but there's a small theme park and zoo on site: http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=7884

Sunday 18th is the Hayling Reunion, that would be worth getting to but you'll need to drive and it's a few hours out of London: www.victorywheelers.co.uk

Have a pick through this thread see if there's anything there that's close enough: http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=1796

To be honest there's very little hotrodding in London itself. Apart from the Ace Cafe meets and Chelsea Cruise on the last saturday of the month there's not much going on usually.

9. Sunday 11 is a run what ya brung at North Weald drag strip,which in yankee doodle dandy measurements,is like just up the road.Weather,s looking great could be a sweet day out

10. matts33

matts33

Bill,
    Start a thread on the UK NSRA forum www.NSRA.ORG.UK/NEWFORUM saying when you will be here and I'm sure you will get a few invites to see what is lurking in our garages.

Matt

11. crb

crb
    from socal

Try the Custom Car magazine website. Hit the "Cruises"tab. There are a number of mid-week gatherings.

http://www.customcarmag.co.uk/

PS - The magazine is nicely done and is an interesting mix of the rodding world in the UK. Many of the newstands in the Underground stations carry it.

12. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

SOD the cars and go to DUXFORD. Great day out,quite moving too.I went last year for the first time and was lucky enough to catch The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flights 50th aniversary.

13. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Hear hear. Been there three times, and still want to go there three more times.

14. GeeRam

GeeRam

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

16. hershambob

hershambob

krispy kremes donut meet next sunday morning just of the a3 at shannons corner,new malden, sw london then on down to hayling island,,,but duxford sounds good,,also brooklands museum at weybridge,,and go and look at tower bridge
    on sat there will be 25000 welshmen drunk around london plus 55000 other football fans(also drunk)in for the fa cup final,,so sat would be a good day to get out of town

17. Theres also the Royal Air Force museum at Cosford, which you can get to on the underground. But yeah - go to Duxford!

18. GeeRam

GeeRam

Err......you can't get to Royal Air Force Museum Cosford on the Underground....:eek: Cosford is in Shropshire, about 130 miles from London.

But, you can get to the Royal Air Force Museum at Hendon on the Underground....;)

19. Totally agree and would like to add the Shuttleworth Collection in Old Warden near Biggleswade. Just off the A1. Duxford is just off the M11. You can catch both these great exhibits in one loop.

20. You may have a point there! Hendon is it. Doh!

21. Lost in translation,I would be slightly miffed if I travelled half way round the world to see some hotrods and ended up at a plane museum? Is crufts on,maybe Wimbledon,hold up tell them to go to Southampton there,s some awesome boats down there???

22. 49anglia

49anglia

Just registered.

When you going to england?

You there the weekend 16/17/18?

If so, hemsby rocknroll weekender in norfolk (about 1/12 hours from london)

lots of rockabilly/hotrod type goings on (and my wedding :) )

23. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Most gearheads, particularly those into the traditional rods of the '30s-'50s, are also into vintage aviation - or at least can appreciate them. Duxford is a world-class museum if you've not been.

I don't think anyone was telling him Duxford or Shuttleworth was a car place, mate. I think everyone was clear on what they were, so I doubt anything's lost in the translation.

Duxford is a must-see for anyone who values their freedom - see some of the very planes that bought it for them during WWII.

Besides, as someone else mentioned, you can see hot rods most anywhere - there's loads of history there in London & throughout the UK for this bloke to see & enjoy.

Lighten up.