Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lokar Rattle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by POLYFRIED 35, Aug 25, 2014.

1. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

What's it sound like? I have a tall shifter on my car and I am getting a clacking noise at low speeds 1-10 MPH. It sounds like a parking pawl or a grinding gear. I took the car to a transmission shop and they found nothing wrong with the trans and had no answer for the noise. After reading several threads on these shifters, I see there is a famous rattle ... what's it sound like? I don't like the noise but I'm kind of hoping that's what I'm hearing. Rather that than something major!

EDIT: Just adding the video

00:00 to 00:26 Is stationary moving through the gears.
    :26 to 00:46 is reverse
    00:47 to 00:57 Is the first time you hear it but not very well
    1:28 to 1:42 Is stopping and taking off at a stop sign
    2:43 I drop it into first and you can really hear it.

I may have to go to another shop for a second opinion. This guy only does trans and has been in business since the mid 70s.

Here is the shifter...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Cali crowd should be up by now .... bump

3. D-man313

D-man313

Is it rattling? I have a lokar 32" and at idle or low speed in drive(th350). The parking lock out release rattles inside shift knob. But if I hold the shift knob it doesn't rattle. But if I tighten the tension on the lock out button then it doesn't work as it should.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

If I hold the shift lever it still makes the noise. I am not sure it is the shifter. It doesn't do it at idle only when moving, which is why I thought it was the trans.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Captain Obvious here, but if the noise changes with speed or RPM it probably isn't the shifter. I have a Lokar with the adaptor to use any screw on knob. If it is loose, it rattles. Too tight it is hard to move. Just right and it shifts fine and doesn't rattle.

6. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

The noise doesn't change other than to stop once I get over a certain speed. I will try and get a recording to help figure it out. I do tend to agree that it doesn't appear to be a rattle that I'm hearing. This one has the regular knob with the push button.

EDIT... I stand corrected. I just drove it to record the noise and it does speed up and slow down with car speed. not so much with RPMs though. I will post the video once I get it uploaded.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  7. aaggie

aaggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Harmonics and vibrations in old cars can drive you nuts. I once fought an engine knock problem that turned out to be an inner fender just touching the frame. Check your motor mounts and things like alternator brackets for vibrations. Good luck.

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  8. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

9. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

10. turnerdesignworks

turnerdesignworks
    from Nebraska

Did anyone figure this out? I have the same problem just identified what it is today, it's the cable that's inside that connects to the button that runs down the inside of the tube it needs to be taken apart and dampened somehow by a sheath or something.

11. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Sounds like a header leak taking off to me.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Put your ear muffs on and go out and play .:D

13. 2 nailbender

2 nailbender
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from iowa

Years ago I had the same shifter with the same rattle . I cut grove in the button for a O ring , the rattle stopped.