Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lokar floor shifter for 700R4

Discussion in 'Off Topic Hot Rods & Customs' started by Tom Tidwell, Jun 9, 2024.

1. Tom Tidwell

Tom Tidwell

Got a Lokar FM700DM shifter last week and bench tested the throw for clearance at seat. For some reason it only gives me 5 detent positions. Called Lokar and was basically told I was wrong. I got P,R,N,OD and D should reach 2 and 1 but it dead stops after D position. Like it is for a power glide. Installed according to directions and checked, rechecked and rechecked my recheck and it just doesn't have enough travel to grab 1st and 2nd. Dropped it in D, as far as it would travel and removed transmission end of linkage and manually went all the way t low gear and adjusted the rod to fit but when I try to go back to park the shifter stops at neutral. Calling Lokar again in the morning. It has to have the wrong detent setup in it or the whole shifter was packaged wrong. What say ye??

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. Grumpy ole A

Grumpy ole A

Sounds like their QC messed up but it happens

3. 20240610_053003.jpg 20240610_053054.jpg
    Here's a couple of pictures of the Lokar shifter I picked up at a swap meet. Detent plate shown, it has the number 700 on it. I checked it for operation, clicks in all the right places for a 3 speed w/OD. Then I noticed the knob jives with that, too. H 20240610_053503.jpg ope this helps.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Sandcrab

Sandcrab

I have the Lokar on a 700R4 in the Austin and a 4L65E in a CJ 5 jeep. They both have the same button in the knob. When the setup is correct, there is a lockout in park and neutral so the engine can only be started in those positions. A button push is required to shift from either position. Then additional button presses and releases are required to move to the lower gears, but they are not necessary going from 1st to OD. It takes a little to get used to but eliminates inadvertent downshifting.
    Just a note mine are both case mount shifters.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was gonna say that I thought there was a number stamped on the detent but wasn't too sure, but pics provided above seem to confirm this.

Chris

chevy57dude likes this.
  6. Well, OP has not been back since starting this thread.
    Thanks to those who tried to help.

05snopro440 likes this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

How many positions can you select without the rod hooked up? Did you push the button?

19Eddy30 likes this.