Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loctite EXTEND rust treatment???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV8Paul, Feb 22, 2009.

1. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

A good friend recomended this to me, to get rid of the rust that's showing up on the underside of my roadster. Two trips to Bonnevlle and I want to stop this crap in it's tracks. Anyone else ever use it with success? No rot yet, just don't want any to ge a foot hold on my car.

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

ya paul,ive used that a couple times in the past,it goes on like a white cream and turns black when cured,i beleive it has etching propertys simular to the pink navel jelly which i used on my ford sedan del while building.are you talking frame or body underside?ive had real good results with por 15 on my 66 bird,wire brushed the whole floor ,painted it with por 15 with a brush and drove the car for two years[bare floor] and it never wore out or rusted.tell me this ,you are surrounded with road salt,your pretty much surrounded with ocean[pretty nasty at times i might add] and you drive more than 2 thousand miles to get to some more.lol

3. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Extend is good, but I agree with por 15 if given the choice.

4. I've used Extend on a couple of chassis and bumpers, (jeep), and like the stuff. It turns black and I painted right over it. I also coated a suit of armor that stands in the garden every couple years and it holds up fine with no overcoat of paint. Scares the shit out of my neighbors' yappy dog, too.

5. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

You're right about the road salt plus surrounded by ocean, but if you've never driven an old car cross country and spent a week on the salt flats, you really can't underrstand why I do it. Not sure if I'll take my car there again, but I'll be going back for sure.

Thanks to all for their replies with their experience with this rust tratment.

6. I have used it for years, it used to just be sold under the name Extend. Now there is Loctite Extend and Permatex Rust Treatment (which actually seems more like the original to me). Either way i treated the floor of a 66 Mustang that had had a leaky heater under carpet. It was pretty bad, even a few pinholes. I scraped it and wire brushed it before treating. It turned black and after it dried I put the new carpet in and it has never rusted again since - -and that was in 1988.
    Used it many times since.