Register now to get rid of these ads!

Local cop wants to by my '56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Get a ton of parking tickets in it before you sell it so everytime the cop takes it out he gets pulled over by other cops in his department and harassed just like they harass others

2. dad-bud

dad-bud

I agree with the majority - don't be afraid to sell it to him, but make sure you tell him the honest truth about the car.
    If you're afraid of the car breaking down, offer to help him repair it for a couple of months - it probably would have broken down for you anyway. After that though, charge him for fixing it - if he's going to pay someone to do it for him, it might as well be you. It's not his everyday car, so there's no need to worry about having to do it the next day - you can show him what it takes to fix - he can learn, you can earn - everyone's a winner.
    He may eve turn out to be a good guy, and we can never have enough friends.

3. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

it was meant as a joke, it looks like you saw it. lol

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Many years ago, I got pulled over by an LAPD motorcycle cop. Geez, I wasn't speeding....turns out he saw my for sale sign on my OT pickup and was interested in it.
    I sold it to him and never thought anything of it other than when he came into the office in uniform looking for me to pay me....it was a pretty good laugh at work for awhile.
    He was just a guy looking for a truck.
    Once it was sold....never heard back from him.

Be honest.....sell it to him.

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

That was one of the things that I used to hate when I was a Sheriff. Folks treat you different....even when you were off. Even when I was in the industry and i was out and about in plainclothes or at the wifies work gatherings I never used to tell folks I met what I did....I always told folks I was in "risk managment" or "waste removal" cause very often folks didn't want to associate with you any more when they found out you were "a cop"

Like the others said....just be up front, he knows the whole "civil arraignment" shennanagins etc etc Yakitty shmakitty....trust your gut, if you got good vibes sell the damn car to "a cop"

6. Berzerk

Berzerk

Sounds like your the one with the problem...

7. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

If it's a solid car and you feel good about it, sell it to him. There's nothing wrong with having a cop on your friendly side.

8. What Doug said ! just sell it to him !

9. skyrodder

skyrodder

Sell it to him and tell him to bring it back for any repairs it needs in the future, that way you keep making money off of him.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

5 statements. 5 truths!

I do not understand the point at all... Makes me thinks there is more to the story.

Should I sell my car to a nun?
    Should I sell my car to an insurance salesman?
    Should I sell my car to an engineer?

11. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Pretty obvious!

12. And take care of those warrants;)

13. 327Eric

327Eric

If he seems sincere sell it to him. Don't DQ a guy just because of his job. I have several friends who are car guys and cops, and bought a couple 57's from a County sheriff. He used to come by and hang out with us in the evenings. Just another car guy.

14. Cerberus

Cerberus

Ca-Ching! Translated means: Cash Is King! Done deal. He's happy. I'm happy. Gave him several restoration manuals, parts catalogs, magazines. Thanks for all the feedback. :D

15. I'll bet he puts his pants on the same as you or anybody else does! I'm sure he and his son will become "car guys" just like the rest of us, given some time with an "old car".;) This addiction to the automobile doesn't discriminate at all, it bites people from all walks of life.:rolleyes:

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, he sold it to the cop already.

17. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I sold a late model POS to a cop, I had to put bearing in the engine at 53K and the body had already been patched on a three year old Pontiac. I told him I thought it was a POS and showed him where I patched it up and said i had about one mile on the new bearings. He took it for a ride and bought it. Never heard from him again, although I saw it sometime later sitting at a repair shop. BTW Cops are rodders too, Had a cop friend scare the shit out of me in his 'Cuda, all over the road going through the gears and a hunting buddy who just retired from the Sherriffs Dept has a real nice Model A coupe. ( he has great cop stories for the 10 hour drive to camp.)

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

To all of the LEO`s out there.God bless you all and keep you safe.Thanks for your service.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

The most difficult/P.I.A. car sale i had was with a woman. Constantly trying to dicker down the price over minor issues. i had to go out of my way to get it inspected, deliver it etc. to make the sale etc. She called me days after the sale and i didn't pick up.

i had a cop decline to buy an engine of mine; This is fine---he performed due diligence so it was his choice. The engine ended up in one of my cars. Runs very well thank you very much.

i understand that you've made the sale, but for future discussion perhaps there was something else about the person besides the fact that he was in law enforcement that made the situation questionable?

In that case, i think this in itself warrants a discussion and may have been the real question.

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See you sold it to him. As long as you were straight up about the car then no issue. I sold a couple of cars years ago to Law Enforcement officers with no issues. Both were happy and I saw them from time to time driving the vehicles.

21. c_dime81

c_dime81
    from tupelo

It's always been a rule of thumb in my family to never ever !not now ,not then ,not ever to be involvEd in any cop-dom. You couldn't pay me enough money to see a piggy drive away in one of my cars. Ugh gives me shivers thinking about it.

22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

^^^ Cop-Dom ??? or I'm Dumb

23. indyjps

indyjps

I wouldn't wory about it, once price is agreed and before any $ changes hands go over the whole car with him - modifications non stock parts, parts that have some age on them - "brakes are half life, I change the oil every xx miles, trans was built by xx, when you wash it it leaks here". I've always done this on cars sold locally that I knew I'd see the owner. Cops are car guys too, I've bought 2 unfinished cars from cops

24. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I too will never sell my 56 Chevrolet 210.....