Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loading a Non-running Car on a Trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HUSSEY, Feb 3, 2013.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

I come-a-longed a 51 Chieftain with 4 flat tires on a trailer once in the middle of June. I bought a winch after that. :D

2. txturbo

txturbo

makes the world go round :D

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

used a come along many times. It will get the job done and take enough time and energy to make you think about what you are doing and hopefully plan and be safe. P.S. a 2X4 and a steep ramp does not mean safe. Get a 4X4! ;)

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If you worry about the 2000 lb capacity not being safe, get a snatch block and double the line. Presto, 4000 lb capacity.

5. Last time I ran into this problem was when I sold my Syclone pickup(3800 lbs.)to a guy who showed up with a tandem axle trailer and no way to get the truck onto the trailer.We pushed the truck up to the ramps and I hooked a tow strap to the front sway bar(huge)and hooked the other end to the tow hook on my wife's GEO Tracker parked alongside the trailer,put it in low 4WD and pulled the truck up onto the trailer. Couldn't believe the guy drove all the way from Tennessee to Michigan and didn't think of it.He knew the truck didn't run.

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Over the years, I've found it to be a good idea to wrap the hook on safety chains with some electrical tape. That way, when the chain gets some slack in it, the hook can't fall off the chain. Nothing quite like watching your new prize roll of the trailer like a boat being launched at a shipyard when something comes loose.

7. ...you mite want to hook a safety chain to the car and the front of your trailer rehookin it as you pull the car further on; if somethin gives at least the car won't roll all the way off. think safety first, good luck. let us know how it goes.

8. kscarguy

kscarguy

Sorry to jump in but I also need some trailer loading advice and this post seems a good place to ask...

What is the best way to load a non-running car (40 ford truck) into an enclosed trailer if the enclosed trailer does not have a point at the front to connect to? (Borrowed trailer)

9. bobadame

bobadame

This^^^. Park the trailer in a jack knifed position and just pull the dead car on with a live car. Easy breezy.

10. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Buy 2 (HRP aggreed) Bill aka Tnomoldw

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, good blocks to put behind the wheels and a good chain to hook the come along to.

Worse part is your arm gets tired working the come along and your back gets tired from bending over.

To do one of those suggested unhook and drag it on the trailer with the tow rig things you had better have a hell of a good helper steering or towing and have the trailer really set solid.

12. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

This is an easy one, I use a snatch block and a cable, put the block on the fron of the trailer run the cable to the car your going to pull and attatch the other end of the cable to a running vehichle, as you pull the cable the car climbs right up the trailer. Just loaded a mustang this way. We pulled it up with my sons neon not a bit of trouble.

13. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I don't mind cranking the come along, I just hate having to pull the cable out. Why don't they make those cables longer?!?

14. i agree with this. or if you can get a 2nd vehicle. use a tow strap/chain to pull it up. it works great.

15. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

I used my body strength with my buddy to push up my dads 51 chevy. with no motor.

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

For that $40 price, buy two of 'em, and use them in tandem.

4TTRUK

17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I used one to move an 8 by 8 wood shed across a yard for my girlfriend and it has no wheels. If you have inflated tires it should be easy-just be safe and watch for rollback.

18. My son and I built a race car trailer with a winch enclosed inside the dog house. We used it over the weekend to get a 1935 Dodge pickup out of the seller's garage. We ran out about 60ft of cable and out she came and right up on the trailer. No more pushing cars after 2 back surgeries for this old codger.:D

Attached Files:

19. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

find that thread about the guy with the steep driveway and his car at the curb----seems like it had a lot of good info....

20. remember rolling resistance ans weight are way less than curb weight.. like stated full tires make life a dream. 2 ton is plenty

21. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Enclosed trailer guy, Borrow a different trailer. Actually its the best $1400.00 I've spent.
    I do the block trailer tires real good and pull it up with the tow vehicle. Always best to have someone to hit the brakes or steer it into a tree. Put a jack stand under the back of the trailer so the front dosent lift way up. That'll scare you real good.

22. budd

budd

i have one of these i use, really i use it all the time even just to move non running cars in and out of my shop, tow engines up into my storage containers, i made the control cable long enough i can sit in the vehicle and steer, it was under $100.

23. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Bought a 3500lb. winch at HF 12 volt w/alligator clips and a wireless remote control. Mounted at front of the trailer and have loaded more than a few cars with it.
    Wasn't very expensive, but it does the job!
    "Work smart not Hard"
    KK