Register now to get rid of these ads!

Live or Die Trying...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Surfing (sorta) USA - Cool. bought a non-running '51 Ford woodie while in High School for $35 - now many miles from ocean but, still have a shrine at home -

Attached Files:

3. i wish i could spend that much time at the ocean. hell sometimes i wish the wife and i would move to the ocean. but our families are here and so we stay. especially now as we have recently found out we are expecting our first bundle of joy. the child will be the first grandchild on both sides; so needless to say there are multiple happy people. i guess until the next time i can board a plane and head for a coast i can dream. my ultimate plan is to make my pickup a surf inspired one. although now that there is a baby i feel like a car might be in order. anyways thanks for the imagery ryan. hope you enjoyed yourself and i look forward to hearing about the changes.

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Since Woodies and wagons are traditional surf transportation, I also love this topic. really dig the RPU with the board out the back. once how they kept the nose down and the board in the bed.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hadn't been to Huntington Beach in almost twenty years until a month ago I rolled over for the day to take the girl and the dogs to the ocean. What a disappointment! When last there the town still looked like the picture of the '33 fordor with the kids sitting on top. Now the whole cool little town is just corporate douche bag box architecture from one end to the other.... Sorry for the rant, but it really hurt to see that.

6. silent rick

silent rick

as i read this mornings blog, i was listening to dick dale's terra dicktyl on pandora. how appropriate.

7. I have surfed all over and it is as important to me as cars, perhaps more so, both are passions of mine and a core part of my personality. I can't wait to have my T Coupe done one day and be able to cruise to surf spots. Same with Seabass49 with his 49 Coronet, along with setting it up with a Gasser-esque type look...it will have a roofrack for surfboards.

Sounds like you had a great time on your trip, thanks for sharing!

8. I also love going to the beach and I often try to come up with an excuse to drive the 40 down there. It's only a 3 hour drive for me to the Atlantic so I get down there as often as I can. My dream is to someday retire to the Florida Keys and open a business renting beach chairs and umbrellas to beach goers and drive a woodie to work! :)

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been surfing on an off for the better part of 20 years. However, I haven't done much of it at all for the past 10. I went out last month and was happy to see that I was just as terrible as I used to be. Here's the crazy part... My seven year old daughter has one week of surfing under her belt. She is by far and away better than I am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In any case, I dream of someday living on a beach... with only a roadster as transportation... and a board to keep me busy dusk and dawn.

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

I can't wait for the day when I can cruise to check conditions in my '57, then unstrap the 9'-6 and hit it....

Edit:

There are some pretty cool shots on this website:

http://www.eastcoastsurfinghistory.com/480988/home/

And you can glean some images of what they were using to get their boards to the break.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  11. that is awesome !! start them young I have been surfing since I was eight years old!

12. Christ.....she's seven already??!! I'm getting old!

13. I got out of my groove and haven't surfed much at all over the last couple of years. I feel very guilty about that. Threads like this help me see the error of my ways. Hell, the beach is only 5 minutes away. When I was self employed for 12 years it was a virtually every day dawn patrol. So many glassy mornings. Can't believe I sacrificed that to take a job with the county. Needed the medical insurance.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I guess why Huntington's main drag was soooo sad to me was that in the late seventies and into the mid eighties, almost every weekend was spent running up and down the coast surfing. I was there the weekend in November of '83 when a huge storm took down the old pier. I do miss surfing a bunch though...

15. Brandi

Brandi

Hell yes! Me too. I spent yesterday on a paddleboard and while I didn't haul it with my roadster, it was just as amazing as when I'm in the surf on the coast.

16. There's nothing better than the ocean and some hot rods with boards! Now that's livin thr dream

17. unkamort

unkamort

I sure would like to pirate your photo of the Surfite for my Roth collection... but it won't let me copy. Need to build that kit someday!

18. blackjack21

blackjack21
    from Denver, CO

My all time favorite surf/hotrod shot.

[​IMG]

19. silent rick

silent rick

i can't swim clark

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the only wave i wanna ride right now is the karma wave to mokan. hoping for the best. i'm packing a cooler of cape cod cafe bbq chicken pizza if i make it out the driveway.

21. good luck mark! have a safe trip

22. TERPU

TERPU

It's OK Kiwi,

Pull down that old Single fin and ge to C Street. It'll do the Soul some good. I went through the same Phase about two years ago, trust me it'll pass. Evening glass is sometimes just as good as the cold gray light of Dawn.

Tim

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I tried surfing one time. Cocoa Beach Fl. Hit the bottom of the Atlantic in about 10 ft of water. Damn near drown. Looks like fun though. I may not surf but I'll always have a wagon.

24. catdad49

catdad49

Love the ocean, but way too old for surfing. Sure would like the roadster p/u though!

25. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Ah man...My 8' T&C board is hanging above me as I type this, that board hasn't been in the water for way too long. I need to fix that! I love that your daughter is into to it. My daughter keeps asking about my board. I plan on getting her out there when she gets a little older.

I love image #24! That's a very young Greg Noll on the left and Mickey Munoz on the right!

In response to your ramblings on the surfing;does this mean there's going to be an online journal for vintage surfboards?:)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  26. autobilly

autobilly

A great Aussie scene.
    [​IMG]

27. Anyone see Frankie and Annette?:rolleyes:

28. autobilly

autobilly

[​IMG]
    The Aussie owner of this phantom Holden surf wagon states "Woodies are becoming popular down here, but we never had them from the factory so we have to build them from existing model wagons. Mine is a 1962 EK Holden (GM Australia). Rescued from a rotting old garage and driven home, I have used Australian marine ply panels and hardwood framing strips with marine grade varnish."
    http://www.oldwoodies.com/gallery-worldwoodies6.htm