Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I have a mini mill and when I first got it I decided that I needed to check the tram.

Rather than take a dial indicator and putting it on the rises on the table then moving and checking on each rise I figured there had to be a simpler way.

Went to the scrap pile and grabbed an old brake rotor, took it to work and put it on the brake lathe and machined it. Now I knew it was perfectly flat and had uniform thickness all the way around it.

Now I just set up my dial indicator in the tram jig in the collet, set the rotor onto the table and run the indicator against it. I can swing a complete circle and read any variance anywhere on the table.

If I find any variance I just write it's amount and location directly on the rotor with a pencil where the dial indicator is showing it then I can adjust and take another reading in the same spot and see how I did, then I just spin the spindle by hand back around the the rotor and take new readings.

ekimneirbo and Six Ball like this.
  2. ken bogren

ken bogren

"Here is a list of Classic cars from the The Classic Car Club of America. A Mustang will never be on it in our lifetime."

That's CCCA's opinion, and they are entitled to it. But it really only applies to their members.

3. Please, let's get back on topic.

Cosmo49, RICH B, knucklenutz and 7 others like this.
  4. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

Phillips Screw Trick
    Dip the screwdriver tip in valve grinding compound (the stuff you use for hand lapping valves )
    makes it grab wore out screws real nice
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

klawockvet, Marcia, drdave and 8 others like this.
  5. wobbles62

wobbles62
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff! Thanks for all the tips!

6. wobbles62

wobbles62
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well after I just posted a reply I thought of something i do. I have a white board on the wall of my shop that use to track oil changes, part numbers for oil/air filters, belts,hoses etc and frequently used torque values for all my cars. The older I get, the more frequently CRS kicks in and the more I need this dang white board.

61Cruiser, 36 ROKIT, clem and 3 others like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

CRS is one of the many symptoms of Old Timers Disease. A white board in the ship may help.

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Nothing special but when building a project I'll tear the part # off the box then notate what it is on the back in marker. Throw all of the labels in a ziplock and keep it in the trunk or glovebox. Having those #'s saved will make it easier to track down parts down the road when CRS kicks in.. Or when you sell the project it will make it easier on the next guy.

9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I keep track of oil and filter changes, grease jobs, tire rotation, and any other work I do on each vehicle I own. This info is kept in the glove box of each vehicle in a check register book that can be gotten free at any bank. I also record when I get gas in the book. I even have a separate book that I record mileage and maintenance for my car trailer.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    pprather likes this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When we were building my son's '54 Conestoga I was working at CarQuest. Many Studebaker parts were still available but not in the computer but some were in the older books. A lot crossed with Ford, GM, & MOPAR. I made a list of parts used and likely to be needed and wrote the numbers down and put them in the glove box. We also carried parts we would not find like an extra starter & later an OD solenoid. We did find a new fuel pump in Tonopah, Nevada and it saved having to modify a Chrysler pump on the side of the road. I used some of my old CQ books yesterday to help a guy out.

11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No sex on a freshly painted hood....just sayin...

12. Were you alone?

13. speedbump

speedbump

any ideas on removing chrome plating

14. Any ideas on removing sex tracks?

scotty t likes this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is why flames were invented.

'28phonebooth, scotty t and TagMan like this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

flames to cover up the flames....no i was not alone...me , myself and Irene...ha ha ha....ahh cars and the ladies....mmmm...new thread idea..

Six Ball likes this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Why?

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I've searched and asked for a tip on how to deal with air tools with whip hoses attached, most recently post #1332 on this thread. Finally took the bull by the horns and came up with this:
    IMG_4414[1].JPG

They fit under the top edge of my metal fab table. Orignally, I was going to put a trough at the bottom to collect the hoses. But, as I was putting it together, I found that the hoses would stay put by simply looping them behind their own tool.
    An added benefit is that they will swivel out for access or fold flat against the side of the table.
    This was all done with stuff I had around the shop, 1" PVC pipe, fittings and clamps. Only clued the 45* elbows to a short stub to the coupling at the end as I wasn't sure if this was the final design.
    The couplings were modified to fit the individual tools but this was very minor. I did shorten them, but I believe there are also shorter ones available from some suppliers.
    IMG_4415[1].JPG

IMG_4417[1].JPG

IMG_4418[1].JPG

IMG_4419[1].JPG

TigerFan, Ford52PU, LAROKE and 10 others like this.
  19. Marcia

Marcia

I have a white board for the truck project.
    It helps me focus on the next step.

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

I just discovered this trick for pouring paint out of the can. Works slick. IMG_1588.JPG

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

GearheadsQCE........Nicely done. My original suggestion about putting large cans in a drawer to handle the tool and hose assy was for the smaller coiled hoses. Air hose.jpg

Never thought about someone having full size hoses on each tool. My suggestion with larger hose is for someone to make a bracket with holes in it that would attach to the rear of the work table or tool box. The hose would then just dangle down behind the box and out of sight. It could actually hang down inside the rear of a toolbox behind the drawers if there is sufficient room.

Six Ball likes this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I modified this to lift my motor without scratching the purdy valve covers, also works as a body picker 45D98010-2DC7-4324-A2C1-3A70275516FE.jpeg 570BF390-B87E-489C-96A7-38AE45177E03.jpeg

drdave, LAROKE, brEad and 9 others like this.
  23. That gives me an idea for an o/t chevelle body lift!

enloe and nochop like this.
  24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

E6B80E35-2C56-49F5-8E0B-DD66931E901D.jpeg
    It was a little off balance, but with minimum effort my 12 year old grandson (my apprentice) was able to help.

Just Gary, drdave, Glitchy and 9 others like this.
  25. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@nochop Thanks for that idea, both body and engine lift. I am going to copy your engine lift, wish I would have thought of that:)

scotty t and nochop like this.
  26. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I also am going to copy this.... Thank You....

LynnW

scotty t likes this.
  27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Dang….I should have patented it….

vtx1800, scotty t and LWEL9226 like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I won't copy it just rely heavily on your design so if you do patent it I'll be OK.:rolleyes:

29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here is one that I made a while back that is similar. They work really well............

Engine Tilter 4x.JPG

MMM1693, chevy3755, Paul and 7 others like this.
  30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here is how I do it...........

Body Lifting 1.jpg
    Body Lifting 2.jpg
    Body Lifting 3.jpg

Boneyard51, Marcia and Six Ball like this.