Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. atch

atch

Here is one that a friend made from a needle nose vise grip and a bunch of original Model A parts (I don't know where they are on an "A" but he tells me that the weight is a bunch of Model A washers welded together):

20200318_180817.jpg

...and here's a pic that I stole from the net; probably here:

vise grip slide hammer 2.JPG

2. Looks like the bit off the A on your friend’s needle nose vise grip is one of the mechanical brake rods

loudbang likes this.
  3. Can't get a good enough grip on the spark plug boot to pull it off? I did this today while changing plugs. I put a loop in a coat hanger tight enough to grip the boot, grabbed both ends with pliers and gave it a yank. I'd wasted 30 minutes and scraped up both hands trying to get that damned plug wire off before I remembered the coat hanger trick. Two seconds later, the boot was off. Works on hemis, too. Learned it on a 341 DeSoto more than 50 years ago.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A friend recently gave me a set of gold clubs he picked up somewhere. I've discovered the covers are perfect for storing the pliers, cutters, strippers and scissors I carry in my truck tool box, instead of having them loose, snagging and pulling half the tools out with them.

If anyone has a good use for the golf clubs and bag let me know.

20210404_115658_resized.jpg

5. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

My dad gave me this tip for a small water proof tool box. Use a small metal ammo box with the hinged flip top lid for your emergency tool kit.
    Totally durable and water proof. Have used it on the float plane and the boat for years. Sorry no pics

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My father-in-law, a golf fanatic and never a fan of my cars, just rolled over in his grave.

Jet96, rpm56, vtx1800 and 10 others like this.
  7. I used those in my jeep for years

8. buckwild27

buckwild27

Lots of helpful and great information here I will be using some of these tips in the future

loudbang likes this.
  9. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I just thought of another use for the golf club covers. They are used to cover the heads of the "woods" and the 1 wood is called a driver. So put one on your floor shift handle when it's parked and take it off when you go to Drive!

vtx1800, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Heck, just get a WiFi extender and drag your laptop or phone out there. Instant T.V. :D

11. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

i will give that linseed oil trick a try boiled got it thanks

loudbang likes this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Also great for wood, like ax and hammer handles!

Bones

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I've got a small DVD player on the shelf next to a T.V. we replaced from the house... It plays CDs also, so I've got tunes with no annoying D.J.s or a movie. I like watching Mad Fabricators while I'm building.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shop is 3-miles from the house. I am not sure an extender exists that has that range.

We have internet access there.

16. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Yeah, you'd probably need one heck of an extension cord. :D

17. well if you have line of sight... there are ways :D

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Coggles

Coggles

Especially if you like Pringles and it’s 2006.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Be very careful with linseed oil in your shop. Rags with linseed oil on them are known to spontaneously combust. Personally I don't keep any in my shop......then I can't forget.;)

20. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Yup, I toss my used linseed oil rags right into my woodstove, winter OR summer!

loudbang and caseywheels like this.
  21. Mart

Mart

Ok we all know about putting a nut on a bolt when you want to shorten it. I did a little tech short video on the subject which you might find interesting and/or get a chuckle out of at my expense.

Cheers! Mart.

Six Ball, fauj and ken bogren like this.
  22. dover12

dover12
    from maryland

great tips thanks

23. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I had my shoebox gas tank hot tanked and flushed out at a local shop. Afterwards I decided
    to make sure the pickup tube was clear. I took some mechanics wire and put a little kink in the end, put it in my
    drill and proceeded to run it through the tube. I slowly worked it back and forth from one end of the tube to the other. I was surprised at all the grit that I cleared out. Initially I started with a thicker wire and it would not feed through the tube. This is something to keep in mind when when running a nice new 3/8 line for high HP setups from your old tank.

IMG_1137.jpg IMG_1138.jpg IMG_1143.jpg

24. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Tired of scratching your wheels trying to remove the hub cap?
    I use this little goodie I made from a scrap piece of nylon. Works like a champ!
    hubcapgoodie1.jpg

airsix, Fingers, Gizzy and 17 others like this.
  25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I made one today and it works like a charm!! The baby moons on my cousins car are a royal pain in the ass too.. Thanks brother..

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  26. goldmountain

goldmountain

The brush in the cap on the anti-seize bottle doesn't reach the bottom and sides. At that point, I cut the bottle apart and stuff the remaining goo into the next bottle.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I misuse and abuse my chop saw regularly. Often the clamping device is in the way of what ever I'm misusing it on. Notice the latest "nick" in the blade. Anyway I removed the clamp by unbolting it and then welding some nuts on the bottom. A little reconfiguretion of the hole so the slide comes out easier. That way its easy to take it off and reinstall it. Makes it easier to cut plate material and other non-conforming parts. Wear gloves and glasses........
    Chop Saw 1.JPG
    Chop Saw 3.JPG Chop Saw 4.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Boneyard51, LAROKE, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Surely you've already replaced the damaged blade before it explodes and causes someone great bodily injury!

29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah get rid of that potential rotating bomb!

30. loudbang

loudbang

Got these in a tool set I won for being honor graduate in my Auto mechanics course at my trade school. They were insulated when I got them 54 years ago LOL.

But time and use had the insulation falling apart and for sentimental reasons want to keep using them.

So I just cut a couple lengths of simple shrink tube, used mostly on wiring, slipped them on and heated them up.
    It's fairly thin so if you use them around electricity you might want to double up.

Note the black stain where the end of the original plastic used to be. :)

20210503_162924.jpg