Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You will NEVER know how sorry I am that we have offended you.:p

As often happens here on the H.A.M.B. we stray from the subject of the post, it's just guys being guys I guess:rolleyes:

2. atch

atch

Mart, please share what you've got. I'm always interested in what you have to say.

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cars fellas.......

TagMan, Bugguts, David Gersic and 9 others like this.
  4. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

(Alcohol and soda pop are DE-hydrators, btw)

Six Ball likes this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well..... excuse me! I just figured a fridge in the garage was a tool, just like a welder or the bench grinder, etc. It takes a lot of support to fix cars! Especially here in Oklahoma where the temperature and humidity are usually off the charts! Not all of us work in air condition comfort! Oh, wait, my shop is air conditioned! But I still need my ice box! Lol

And this thread was tips for the GARAGE hobbyist. My garage ice box was just my tip! Lol

Bones

6. LAROKE

LAROKE

Heck, Mart, post the tip. The criticism is as off base as anything else posted.

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

None of this is required reading. Unlike real life you can skip the offensive parts. It's a handy skill here.
    24d189.jpeg

8. Quit poking the bear....he is gonna lock the thread.

X38 and loudbang like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The best shop tips I have are:
    1. Build it at least twice as big as you are thinking.
    2. Don't try to save every old part that you think you will use someday.
    3. If you don't do #2 then #1 has to be four times as bigger.

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah one or two comments ok but now it's time to get back to regularly scheduled programming...

chryslerfan55, 56don and lurker mick like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have I mentioned to not accidentally allow your finger to drop into a rotating roots-style supercharger?

Finger tip is back on, and seems to be staying there. Not sure I'm ever going to have a fingernail again.

12. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

It would be crazy if you could have a beer or two while working in the shop...without getting "loaded."

Many of us enjoy the beer and other silly posts as much as any of the serious ones. Lighten up.

13. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I have issues with #2. Right now I have two quarter panels that I have cut and used what I needed and even though not much is left I am having a hard time throwing the carcass away. They are by the door ready to scrap, maybe I’ll cut one more hunk off then finally throw them away.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  14. Combination pen/pencil/Sharpe holder & bandaid dispenser.:cool:

It was an old plastic cup holder that you'd hang from a car window slot. I screwed it to the bottom of my workbench cabinet.
    20200718_205223~2.jpg

15. Coggles

Coggles

Those bandaids are circa 1978. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Coggles

Coggles

I’m sure this is old news but I just learned about putting hunks of fuel line on the con rod studs when inserting pistons so the studs can’t gerr up the crank bearing surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp561, thintin, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  17. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I’m not sure this is the “tip” we are talking about.
    No fun,

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Holy shit! I'm glad you got it stuck back on. Regarding the finger nail you could probably get one in the cosmetics dept. LOL. But seriously, holy shit!

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use old straight spark plug boots.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Some of the engine kits came with sleeves for that purpose.

65pacecar and loudbang like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"I have issues with #2. Right now I have two quarter panels that I have cut and used what I needed and even though not much is left I am having a hard time throwing the carcass away. They are by the door ready to scrap, maybe I’ll cut one more hunk off then finally throw them away."

Yes, I agree. #2 is a tough one. Things you realize you won't use but are too good to toss. Things you know someone else needs but you don't know who they are and you don't want to invest the time to find them. There is also the Disney syndrome where we give human attributes to everything we own and don't want to hurt it's feelings by telling it that it a useless piece of shit. :(

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I posted a while back on the hose on the con rods deal. I use a about three foot sections of gas hose and feed it up through the cylinder, around the crankshaft , then put each end on the rod bolts. Then push the piston into the cylinder. The hose guides the rod onto the crankshaft journal. Works great!

Bones

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here is another quick tip. Try to keep these out of the shop. This one wasn't inside but the dogs found it not far away. I have killed a couple inside the shop. It makes you think twice before reaching where you can't see. One
    was on a beam about 8' off the ground. It's weird hearing them rattle from above. 200720_0001.jpg 200720_0003.jpg

brEad, 210superair, alanp561 and 7 others like this.
  24. ....tech tip #17....bring me a fresh pair of pants!!!

kb9jlo, Ford52PU, brEad and 8 others like this.
  25. trollst

trollst

Yes, six ball, I myself have experienced this little shop tip, although, I find if given a chance, they'll scoot out of your way. They really don't want any part of us, I try to shoo them away.

26. Where is my 12 gauge? I have a deal with the snakes on our farm, I don’t see or find them and they get to live. Bugs and spiders don’t bother me, but I hate snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

These guys are pretty mild compared to the ones I grew up with but every time a dog gets bitten the treatment is around $1,000. I've done that 4 times. Another had seizures for the rest of her life. The dogs go to the avoidance classes and they have the snake shots but it's still a problem. I don't bother the ones that stay away from the buildings and wood piles. I don't go looking for them. I've had them strike at me as I walked by it in the brush. One day I was working on a car in the driveway. I went in for lunch and when I crawled back under the car one had found my place in the shade. I caught a few and relocated them but I don't do that anymore. Since I have been putting a product called Plant Skid (blood meal) in the shop to keep the rodents out I've had no snakes in there either. I take all the gopher snakes I find home and turn them loose in the yard. I saw an episode of Texas Law where a guy got a fine for killing a Timber Rattler because they are endangered. If I were him the next one I saw would end up in the game warden's yard.
    They do not taste like chicken. :D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    weps, Texas57, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  28. 6sally6

6sally6

Those rat/mouse sticky traps work for snakes too but........ one with 10/12 rattlers;);) I don't know!
    He might just "sit" in the sticky and wait for a stupid mouse to come in!!:)
    Anyway...........another shop tip that someone might use.
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  29. I leave them alone, let them do the work of eating the mice. They are more afraid of me than I am of them...........at least thats what one told me a few years back.....:rolleyes:

30. Paulz

Paulz

Yet another reason why I live in the land of long cold winters.